Helpful Links

Billing issue

Teacher

Billing issue

Hi

I'm not sure if this is a feature request or a billing issue...

First and foremost, my account is in good standing and I want it to stay that way.

My wife and I live on a fixed income budget from retirement. We have a phone and a hot spot. Both are our only source of internet access. We rent and our landlord has a deal with CenturyLink. They are absolutely hideous for DSL and are usually not working. The landlord has made it clear that she will not allow another phone company drilling holes in her building. Our service has to be wireless.

That being said, I need a better payment system for our hot spot. I already know that we will use more than five gigabyte limit then the hot spot comes with. I need any way that I can plan out unexpected usage of bandwidth without having unexpected charges on the bill. As it stands now watching one or two movies from Google Play would wipe out the hot spot for the entire month.

Is there a way I can build up a reserve of gigabytes so that when I have higher usages I don't have to worry about unexpected prices on the bill? Idealy, I would like a plan with a monthly service fee for the hot spot and then pay for the Gigabytes separately without having to worry about them expiring if I don't use them so I can build up a reserved for unexpected usages.

I feel like I'm being cheated with the five gigabyte plan if I only use two gigabytes, but yet if I go over the five gigabytes I get an unexpected charge on my bill. AT&T needs to have better options for paying the hot spot bill for users who have only wireless connections. I'm not asking for unlimited bandwidth or any crazy program, just a way where I can use what I need without killing my bill that provides me with a consistent method for my budget.

Than you in advance.
Tags (2)
Message 1 of 11
Employee

Re: Billing issue

Hi abd2038,

You may want to check out the Mobile Share Data plans. They give you a much higher bucket of data that you can use every month and would cover most overages if you have any. You can see these plans by visiting Here

There is no "rollover" or plans that AT&T or any of the major carriers offer that are on a pay per Gigabyte program. AT&T does have a prepaid Hotspot that you can buy by the month, however the price is much higher than what you would be paying now on the 5GB plan.

There is also a new product called Wireless Home Phone with Internet that you could switch to. The plans are much cheaper if you are going to be using a ton more data, plus you have your home phone service bundled in with it. You don't need to use the voice part, but it does give you higher buckets of data at a cheaper price. You can learn more about that device Here. Your local AT&T store might not have this device in stock yet as it has just launched nationwide a few days ago.

Hope this helps!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 11
Teacher

Hi,

I have looked into the mobile share plan before, but it was not suitable for my needs as my wife and I do not want texting at all. I was told by an AT&T service representative that texting could not be disabled.

I looked into this device and it looks quite interesting. The one thing I noticed is that it does not mention anything about any overage fees so what would they be per gigabyte? Also, I have a 2 year contract on my hotspot, so how would I upgrade to this device and what do I do with my MiFi liberate? What is the effective distance for this device for tablets?

Finally, members my family are previous cancer patients. What is the radiation level of this device? The low radiation level was one the most important selling points of the hot spot and the phone that I use.

Thank you in advance.
Message 3 of 11
Employee

Hey abd2038

You can get the hotpsot on a seperate plan than your phone. (although getting the texting may save you money potentially)

Visit www.myattrpc.com to see some of the plans

Mobile Share Value Plan - > +1 Internet Device  -> Yes Make this a Data (only) plan)

Then pick and choose 4gb-50gb at your leisure.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 11
Teacher

That's $20 more than I pay now...

Been looking at Broadbad Q Wireless - they offer 20 gigabyres for $99..

It be nice if AT&T used the same pricing as the Wireless Home & Internet - $120 for 30 gigabytes...

@logo412 - thats thinking like a loser, not a market leader. If all AT&T is interested in is simply keeping up with the narket, then they won't be in business long. AT&T used to be the market leader and pushed innovation. They need to return to that and live up to their motto of "Rethink Possible".

I'm an AT&T customer, I'm not interested in the rest of the market, only the leader of it. Are you suggesting I should find a better carrier than AT&T as they plan on stagnating and becoming nothing more than another pathetic market loser?

Message 5 of 11
Employee

I am not suggesting that you look at another carrier, I am suggesting that we have a number of plans avaiable to help with the overages and issues you are having. 

Based off what you are describing, AT&T has launched a new device to address replacing home internet with a wireless device (Wireless Home Phone with Internet) that would give you more data for slightly more than what you're paying now ($60 for 10GB of Data) 

Additionally with the new Mobile Share Data plans, you can also adjust from the legacy plan of 5GB to a higher plan as well. 

AT&T is innovating change in deviecs and rate plans all the time. I would suggest maybe visiting a local store to see all these new offerings. 

Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 11
Teacher

I looked at the new mobile share plan. It still would cost me more for what I currently have.

Sounds like AT&T is trying to kill off the hot spot martket. The Wireless Home/Internet is not in my area and given AT&T's history, the data prices sound like an introductory rate. Waiting for the real data prices to come out. If $120 for 30 gigabytes is going to be the standard rate, why can't AT&T use the same rate for its hot spots? I not asking for free or umlimited. As I said above, I have no problem paying for what I use. I just think it should be reasonably priced for hot spots as well as tge Wireless Home/Internet.
Message 7 of 11
Expert

abd2038 wrote:
I looked at the new mobile share plan. It still would cost me more for what I currently have.

Sounds like AT&T is trying to kill off the hot spot martket. The Wireless Home/Internet is not in my area and given AT&T's history, the data prices sound like an introductory rate. Waiting for the real data prices to come out. If $120 for 30 gigabytes is going to be the standard rate, why can't AT&T use the same rate for its hot spots? I not asking for free or umlimited. As I said above, I have no problem paying for what I use. I just think it should be reasonably priced for hot spots as well as tge Wireless Home/Internet.

where are you seeing 120? I see 185 - http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=n3olIffjbxt

for data only devices and 225 for smartphones plans - http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=n3olIffjbxt

the mobile share plan allows hotspot / tethering

Message 8 of 11
Teacher

Message 9 of 11
Contributor

My wireless service was temporarily suspended after a billing representative told me that I would not be suspend after I paid money on my past bill. I paid 4x's the amount they asked me for now I can't even call them to straighten out the matter. Hope you have some suggestions .
Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Teacher

Try the contact form, they may be able to resolve the problem quicker that way.
Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support