Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 26, 2013
5:43:50 PM
View profile
Bill for the first month is double
Edited by Phil-101 on Dec 26, 2013 at 9:38:19 PM

I agree with you.  I received notes on their website saying upgrade available on my phones and waive of the upgrade fee, etc.  BestBuy had a sale on the phones my wife and I wanted so we went and bought them.  I do not care who messed up the paperwork or what (being it was black friday and ATT as well as others were so backed up it took some people 3 hours to get their phones upgraded as the website kept crashing. Anyhoo.. finally got the phone and now the bill for the first month from ATT is double.  Looking through it I found they charged me upgrade fees on both phones.  I called and they said that they never offered the waiver and I just have to suck it up and pay.  The also said if there was a mistake in the paperwork it is Best Buys fault and I would have to go back to them and ask them to pay the bill.  Of course now that I have upgraded all the little notes pertaining to the upgrade on the website is gone.  ATT is just another big company sucking the little man dry....   Verizon here I come. 

[Subject edited to reflect new topic]

I agree with you.  I received notes on their website saying upgrade available on my phones and waive of the upgrade fee, etc.  BestBuy had a sale on the phones my wife and I wanted so we went and bought them.  I do not care who messed up the paperwork or what (being it was black friday and ATT as well as others were so backed up it took some people 3 hours to get their phones upgraded as the website kept crashing. Anyhoo.. finally got the phone and now the bill for the first month from ATT is double.  Looking through it I found they charged me upgrade fees on both phones.  I called and they said that they never offered the waiver and I just have to suck it up and pay.  The also said if there was a mistake in the paperwork it is Best Buys fault and I would have to go back to them and ask them to pay the bill.  Of course now that I have upgraded all the little notes pertaining to the upgrade on the website is gone.  ATT is just another big company sucking the little man dry....   Verizon here I come. 

Bill for the first month is double

[ Edited ]
5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 5:31:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

rocket4686 wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd say if there was some sort of promotion to waive an upgrade fee advertised on your account, it was for upgrading online. By upgrading at Best Buy instead, you wouldn't have been eligible for that promo.

If the person at Best Buy promised you something different, then the rep was right, and you should go back to Best Buy to get that rectified through the store.

rocket4686 wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd say if there was some sort of promotion to waive an upgrade fee advertised on your account, it was for upgrading online. By upgrading at Best Buy instead, you wouldn't have been eligible for that promo.

If the person at Best Buy promised you something different, then the rep was right, and you should go back to Best Buy to get that rectified through the store.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Bill for the first month is double

2 of 6 (467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 6:10:36 AM
(0)
Employee

Depending upon when your billing cycle would have fell would depend on pro-rated charges that would be billed to you. AT&T bills in advance, so your first bill would have a partial bill and then a full month in advance.

If Best Buy was offering your a special deal in terms of waived activation/upgrade fees, you would need to return to that location in order to have them adjust the charges.

If you have a coporate discount that might wavie these fees, it can take up to 2 billing cycles for those credits to appear on your bill.

Depending upon when your billing cycle would have fell would depend on pro-rated charges that would be billed to you. AT&T bills in advance, so your first bill would have a partial bill and then a full month in advance.

If Best Buy was offering your a special deal in terms of waived activation/upgrade fees, you would need to return to that location in order to have them adjust the charges.

If you have a coporate discount that might wavie these fees, it can take up to 2 billing cycles for those credits to appear on your bill.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 6 (461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 9:49:59 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Dec 27, 2013 at 9:52:53 AM

Hey rocket4686,

I can really tell that you were hoping for all this to go smoothly.

So it sounds like you saw a promotion on BestBuy's website basically promising to cover AT&T $36 upgrade fees, and since AT&T didn't get the covers, they're charging you the normal fees instead.

It's no different than if they offered to give you $40 off of the cost of the phone, but still charged the full amount to your credit card.
Verizon has similar activation/upgrades fees, it's not unique to AT&T.
To ensure customer's satisfaction, AT&T usually sends an email that reviews the terms of the upgrade/account changes. That way, if there was a mixup, you'd still have time to return it or whatever.
If you really would like avoid the upgrade fees/upfront cost of the phone, perchance look at AT&T's new Next program, especially with the discounts offered by the new plans www.myattrpc.com

-Alex

Hey rocket4686,

I can really tell that you were hoping for all this to go smoothly.

So it sounds like you saw a promotion on BestBuy's website basically promising to cover AT&T $36 upgrade fees, and since AT&T didn't get the covers, they're charging you the normal fees instead.

It's no different than if they offered to give you $40 off of the cost of the phone, but still charged the full amount to your credit card.
Verizon has similar activation/upgrades fees, it's not unique to AT&T.
To ensure customer's satisfaction, AT&T usually sends an email that reviews the terms of the upgrade/account changes. That way, if there was a mixup, you'd still have time to return it or whatever.
If you really would like avoid the upgrade fees/upfront cost of the phone, perchance look at AT&T's new Next program, especially with the discounts offered by the new plans www.myattrpc.com

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 11:02:07 AM
(0)
Teacher
That's att answer for everything. It's always someone else's fault they never make mistakes EVER. It doesn't matter what the problem is. Att seems to always be able to say is there's nothing we can do for you. It's not customer service if your answer for everything is no. I have been with AT&T for 7 years and the last few years they will not help or do anything for me. I can't wait until they go broke!
That's att answer for everything. It's always someone else's fault they never make mistakes EVER. It doesn't matter what the problem is. Att seems to always be able to say is there's nothing we can do for you. It's not customer service if your answer for everything is no. I have been with AT&T for 7 years and the last few years they will not help or do anything for me. I can't wait until they go broke!

5 of 6 (432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 11:26:35 AM
(0)
Employee

Often times our National Retail stores, such as Best Buy and Radio Shack will offer different promotions that are not connected to AT&T directly, but though their own sales channels. If that was a promotion that Best Buy was running in their locations, they would be the ones to honor it.

Often times our National Retail stores, such as Best Buy and Radio Shack will offer different promotions that are not connected to AT&T directly, but though their own sales channels. If that was a promotion that Best Buy was running in their locations, they would be the ones to honor it.

6 of 6 (426 Views)