Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 12, 2014
11:38:18 AM
View profile
Beware Long Distance!!!
Wife spent 21 minutes calling elderly parents last month, so that we can tell them to jump on skype video... cost an extra $80 on the phone bill!!

Canceling service once contract ends. Nickel and dime.
Wife spent 21 minutes calling elderly parents last month, so that we can tell them to jump on skype video... cost an extra $80 on the phone bill!!

Canceling service once contract ends. Nickel and dime.

Beware Long Distance!!!

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 11:52:23 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Apr 12, 2014 at 12:15:36 PM

The rates are no secret, and if she will need to make occasional calls, even for just a few minute, consider getting the $5 plan.

www.att.com/global

Often, AT&T's willing to be flexible and if you've made the call recently, or in the last few days (since bill cycle started), you can usually put theat $5 plan retroactively to cover you.

-Alex

The rates are no secret, and if she will need to make occasional calls, even for just a few minute, consider getting the $5 plan.

www.att.com/global

Often, AT&T's willing to be flexible and if you've made the call recently, or in the last few days (since bill cycle started), you can usually put theat $5 plan retroactively to cover you.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Beware Long Distance!!!

[ Edited ]
2 of 5 (413 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 12:03:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
I guess its just the cultural difference. Just came back from Korea where service is $25 a month unlimitated everything. Customer service proactively does things for the customers.

Could you please post a link to the pricing/rates information?
I guess its just the cultural difference. Just came back from Korea where service is $25 a month unlimitated everything. Customer service proactively does things for the customers.

Could you please post a link to the pricing/rates information?

3 of 5 (408 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 12:16:31 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Apr 12, 2014 at 12:19:47 PM

Sorry, I meant to link it before.

Here it is again

http://www.att.com/att/global/long-distance/?calling

Just curious but did your rates in Korea included international calling?

Or did you mean, you simply would have gotten a call, following the reversed situation?

-Alex

Sorry, I meant to link it before.

Here it is again

http://www.att.com/att/global/long-distance/?calling

Just curious but did your rates in Korea included international calling?

Or did you mean, you simply would have gotten a call, following the reversed situation?

-Alex

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (400 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 7:58:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

International long distance charges are brutal in the US, however it's not AT&T's fault you did not check how much it was to call international long distance to abroad. Sometimes you have to even be careful the phone number isn't a Canadian number since they share our country dial code, but count as international calls.

That said, I would suggest using other options to call, including Google Voice (which is like two cents a minute on top of using your bucket minutes) or perhaps sign up for a Skype Premium account that lets you call phones (the latter uses data), or sign up for one of the AT&T international long distance packages (which is the most convenient). Just be warned Google Voice and AT&T international dialing is only price so in the US; it does not include roaming (using your phone abroad).

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]

International long distance charges are brutal in the US, however it's not AT&T's fault you did not check how much it was to call international long distance to abroad. Sometimes you have to even be careful the phone number isn't a Canadian number since they share our country dial code, but count as international calls.

That said, I would suggest using other options to call, including Google Voice (which is like two cents a minute on top of using your bucket minutes) or perhaps sign up for a Skype Premium account that lets you call phones (the latter uses data), or sign up for one of the AT&T international long distance packages (which is the most convenient). Just be warned Google Voice and AT&T international dialing is only price so in the US; it does not include roaming (using your phone abroad).

5 of 5 (302 Views)