Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 31, 2013
4:48:33 AM
Basic Phone Plan Question - Pay Per Minute Plan

I have a smartphone on the $40 plan.  Sometimes I don't want that big phone in my pocket and would prefer a smaller flip phone just for occasional/emergency use like when I go walking.  I was thinking about buying a cheapie flip phone and get it activated on the pay per use plan(with an assigned dummy number).  Is there a monthly minimum that is charged or can I do something like put $10 in the account and let charges (if any) be pulled off of that?  I could move the sim back and forth but the sim in my smartphone is not that easy to remove.  

I have a smartphone on the $40 plan.  Sometimes I don't want that big phone in my pocket and would prefer a smaller flip phone just for occasional/emergency use like when I go walking.  I was thinking about buying a cheapie flip phone and get it activated on the pay per use plan(with an assigned dummy number).  Is there a monthly minimum that is charged or can I do something like put $10 in the account and let charges (if any) be pulled off of that?  I could move the sim back and forth but the sim in my smartphone is not that easy to remove.  

Basic Phone Plan Question - Pay Per Minute Plan

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 5:44:38 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi Rickochet,

You can absolutely do that! The basic plan is 10 cents a minute any time you use the phone. The minimum reload card that AT&T sells is $10 and that will last you for 30 days. With all GoPhone plans the balance you don't use will roll over to the next month.

I would suggest loading either $25 onto the new line as that will last for 90 days or $100 and that will last for one year.

Hi Rickochet,

You can absolutely do that! The basic plan is 10 cents a minute any time you use the phone. The minimum reload card that AT&T sells is $10 and that will last you for 30 days. With all GoPhone plans the balance you don't use will roll over to the next month.

I would suggest loading either $25 onto the new line as that will last for 90 days or $100 and that will last for one year.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Basic Phone Plan Question - Pay Per Minute Plan

2 of 8 (438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 5:59:27 AM
(0)
Mentor

logo412 wrote:

Hi Rickochet,

Thanks for reply, but I am a bit confused about the 30 and 90 days.  If I put $10 in the account and don't use it during the month you suggest the $10 will roll over to the next month.  If that is the case why would I want to do $25 or $100?  $10 is 100 minutes which I would probably not use in a year.

logo412 wrote:

Hi Rickochet,

Thanks for reply, but I am a bit confused about the 30 and 90 days.  If I put $10 in the account and don't use it during the month you suggest the $10 will roll over to the next month.  If that is the case why would I want to do $25 or $100?  $10 is 100 minutes which I would probably not use in a year.

3 of 8 (435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 6:23:45 AM
(0)
Employee

The $10 will last for 30 days. If you refill before the 30 days are up, any unused balance will roll into the next refill. If you dont' refill within the 30 days, the balance will expire and your phone won't work until you load more money onto it.

A $25 refill card will last 90 days from the date its loaded onto the account

A $100 refill card will last 1 year from the date it is loaded onto the account.

The $10 will last for 30 days. If you refill before the 30 days are up, any unused balance will roll into the next refill. If you dont' refill within the 30 days, the balance will expire and your phone won't work until you load more money onto it.

A $100 refill card will last 1 year from the date it is loaded onto the account.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 8 (430 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 6:31:01 AM
(0)
Mentor

logo412 wrote:

Ok, I understand now.  It would cost me a minimum of $100 per year to do as I suggested.  That is kind of deceptive on ATT's part.  It is not actually only pay for what you use, there is a minimum charge.

logo412 wrote:

Ok, I understand now.  It would cost me a minimum of $100 per year to do as I suggested.  That is kind of deceptive on ATT's part.  It is not actually only pay for what you use, there is a minimum charge.

5 of 8 (428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 7:13:28 AM
(0)
Employee

You still only pay for what you use on the phone itself within the minute plans. Most, if not all prepaid plans work with having a minimum reload amount and balance expires if you don't use it. GoPhone is still one of the most flexable plans out there with many different plans for everyone's needs

You still only pay for what you use on the phone itself within the minute plans. Most, if not all prepaid plans work with having a minimum reload amount and balance expires if you don't use it. GoPhone is still one of the most flexable plans out there with many different plans for everyone's needs

6 of 8 (422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 7:31:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

logo412 wrote:

I agree about plan flexability.  That is why I changed from Sprint to the GoPhone.  It just doesn't work for me to pay at least $100 per year for a phone I may not use.

Thanks for your help.  My questions are answered.  

logo412 wrote:

I agree about plan flexability.  That is why I changed from Sprint to the GoPhone.  It just doesn't work for me to pay at least $100 per year for a phone I may not use.

Thanks for your help.  My questions are answered.  

7 of 8 (417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 7:34:41 AM
(0)
Employee

You're very welcome!

Have a great New Year!

You're very welcome!

Have a great New Year!

8 of 8 (415 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments