Helpful Links

Bait and switch AT&T Next Plan

Bait and switch AT&T Next Plan

I was recently duped into giving up an unlimited data plan by upgrading to 2 5S iPhones and promised that my bill would only iincr by $30/mo. Was told by purchasing/paying upfront costs of iPhones, those were the only addl costs. Spent 1 hr w/sales rep; asked ?s 3 times, same response. My bill showed a completely different plan; and installments on 2 iPhones that I was NEVER made aware of that would bring each phone to $749. I tried to resolve w Asst Sales Manager, was told I could buy 2 iPhones $299 each & a 2 yr contract. BAIT AND SWITCH Had no reason to believe what the Sales-ripoff told me for 1 hr was anything different than what I signed up for. Apparenlty, it was; None of what resulted on my bill was ANYTHING that was discussed, nor agreed upon. Filed complaint with BBB; will followup w Consumer Affairs & NJ Atty General, and eventually end up at Verizon, after decades with AT&T (Cingular in earlier days).  Deceptive, disingenuous, fraudulent.  Shame on you Ryan C.

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 28
Expert

Re: Bait and switch AT&T Next Plan

NextStopVerizon wrote:

I was recently duped into giving up an unlimited data plan by upgrading to 2 5S iPhones and promised that my bill would only iincr by $30/mo. Was told by purchasing/paying upfront costs of iPhones, those were the only addl costs. Spent 1 hr w/sales rep; asked ?s 3 times, same response. My bill showed a completely different plan; and installments on 2 iPhones that I was NEVER made aware of that would bring each phone to $749. I tried to resolve w Asst Sales Manager, was told I could buy 2 iPhones $299 each & a 2 yr contract. BAIT AND SWITCH Had no reason to believe what the Sales-ripoff told me for 1 hr was anything different than what I signed up for. Apparenlty, it was; None of what resulted on my bill was ANYTHING that was discussed, nor agreed upon. Filed complaint with BBB; will followup w Consumer Affairs & NJ Atty General, and eventually end up at Verizon, after decades with AT&T (Cingular in earlier days).  Deceptive, disingenuous, fraudulent.  Shame on you Ryan C.

the next plan is base on the retil cost of the device, not the subsidized cost of the device. A 32GB Iphone 5S on the next plan is 749.00 with 0 down and paid off in 20 monthly installments of 37.50 with no finance charge. The only requirement is that you pay off the device, you can trade it in at 12 months for a new device no contract other then paying off the phone. The 299.00 price quoted is the subsidized price of the device with s 24 month service commitment. You should have the electronicly signed documents either in electronic form on MyATT or manually signed in paper form.

To check it on MyAtt, sign in, go to your profile, then select User Information, second box down under "Contract Information" you will seelink for Customer Service Summery and Contract link, that will give you a PDF of what you agreed to

Message 2 of 28

Everybody at AT&T seems to come late to the party. WINGRIDER01 - that's information I could have used DURING my conversation with the AT&T rep, when I asked him specific point blank questions that should have been met with definitive forthcoming all inclusive information and answers, i.e., the questions I posed - how much more will my bill be after the changes; how much more can I expect to pay; how much will my bill change.  These are 3 questions I asked and NEVER did he respond with the full cost of the phone vs a 2 yr plan, nor the additional $37.50 per month per phone, etc etc etc. He left all of those things out. I never expected that I would have a 1 hour conversation with someone, rely on what he told me, and then sign for something totally different. It's called FRAUD and is illegal in NJ under consumer protection laws.  The basis for my complaint and POST obviously went over your head as I NOW know all of this, only AFTER the fact - the basis for the bait and switch complaints that will go forward, and my eventual migration to Verizon.

Message 3 of 28
Expert

NextStopVerizon wrote:

Everybody at AT&T seems to come late to the party. WINGRIDER01 - that's information I could have used DURING my conversation with the AT&T rep, when I asked him specific point blank questions that should have been met with definitive forthcoming all inclusive information and answers, i.e., the questions I posed - how much more will my bill be after the changes; how much more can I expect to pay; how much will my bill change.  These are 3 questions I asked and NEVER did he respond with the full cost of the phone vs a 2 yr plan, nor the additional $37.50 per month per phone, etc etc etc. He left all of those things out. I never expected that I would have a 1 hour conversation with someone, rely on what he told me, and then sign for something totally different. It's called FRAUD and is illegal in NJ under consumer protection laws.  The basis for my complaint and POST obviously went over your head as I NOW know all of this, only AFTER the fact - the basis for the bait and switch complaints that will go forward, and my eventual migration to Verizon.

If you are over 14 days then you have about 20 months to be ponder it, or pay off the 2 phones and switch. Good luck

Message 4 of 28

I expect to prevail and then leave. I've already made some progress.  Actually I am over othe 14 days and have been offered some (though not fully staisfactory) relief from AT&T. You offer only opposition and no help at all. If you are not going to be part of the solution, please do not be a part of the problem. 

Message 5 of 28
Scholar

You had 14 days to take the phone back. If you didn't do it att is not responsible
Message 6 of 28

AT&T has a responsibility to ensure their agents acting on their behalf (I.e., sales reps etc) act in a manner in accordance with corporate policy and the law. Meaning they fully disclose the terms of the transaction. They, or rather, he, did not. The vlerbal conversation and agreement was adverse to the written agreement. It's still called bait and switch when you are blindly coerced into one agreement and then offered a different one, and still another, which is what the freehold raceway mall store is trying to do to mitigate the damages caused by this sales rep, and is adverse to consumer protection law.
Message 7 of 28
Community Manager

Hello, NextStopVerizon!

Thanks for posting. I'm very sorry to hear about all the confusion surrounding our Next plan. We definitely expect all our reps to do their best to inform the customer of all the requirements and plan details. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can initiate an investigation.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 28
Scholar

They don't have the time to disclose everything. It's your responsibility to read the terms and if you don't like them you don't have to sign the contract. Or you can request another employee to help you
Message 9 of 28

I do not understand why, when people post responses, they do so without understanding the issue, but develop their own warped itnerpretation just so they can say something. The problem stems from the fact that the rep EXPLAINED NOTHING.  Not, explained some terms and I did not investigate the rest. He did not process the same, or even close to, the same conversation we had.  In simple terms for those who cannot comprehend basic English - I walk into a Starbucks and order a Venti Green Tea Iced Tea Unsweetned, and I'm given a Tall Hot Caramel Macchiato.  Get it now?  He never gave me anything I asked for, nor anything that was discussed. I had no reason to believe, after asking questions and conversing for over 1 hour, that anything I signed would be different than anything that was discussed. But what he processed was similar to that Caramel Macchiato!

Message 10 of 28
Highlighted
Employee

While I agree that before signing up for a contract all the terms and conditions should be read over...   It is still the AT&T Agent's responsibility and job to thoroughly discuss what the customer is signing up for, especially when the customer is asking questions about the said contract. If the AT&T Representative explained one thing but the contract was for something completely different, that Representative should, at the very least, be held partially responsible for relaying incorrect information and missleading/misguiding the customer. An AT&T Employee's job is to assist, help, and provide accurate information, along with getting the customer the best deal for their needs.

NextStop, I strongly suggest sending that Private Message to Community Manager ATTMarianaCM ...

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 28

Thank you. Your post is very much appreciated and, I have responded privately to Mariana.

Message 12 of 28
Employee

We do apologize for the confusion as NextStop, I am pretty sure that this issue will be escalated to the management of AT&T. To cut it short AT&T Next installment plan is the answer when you do not have the money to pay upfront the full discounted price of the device. We also offer the AT&T next so you can enjoy the AT&T mobile value share no contract option. With AT&T Mobile Share Value you pay a monthly plan charge plus a monthly charge per device. The charge for a Smartphone with a two year service agreement is $40/mo and a smartphone with a no annual service contract option for customers on AT&T Next, out-of-contract, pay full-retail phone price, or bring their own device is $25/mo. ($15/mo. savings!)
Employee Contributor*
Message 13 of 28
Employee

We do also hope that once this is resolved you will change your mind and stay with AT&T.
Employee Contributor*
Message 14 of 28

ryanpage - Who is it in the "We apologize" that you are referring to?   Once again - informatoin I could have used DURING the sales pitch.  If you read all of my prior posts with understanding, you will better comprehend the exact issue. I WAS NOT TOLD ANY OF THIS. The words Next, Mobile Share, etc. WERE NEVER PART OF THE CONVERSATION.  Please read my Starbucks references to better understand what this sales person did, AND failed to do. Offering explanations after the fact is apparently a trait of AT&T and their supporters.  Everthing that was discussed. including all of my wishes for the type of service I have and wanted to keep, for over 1 hour in the store NEVER MATERIALIZED. He intentioanlly sold me something that he never spoke about with us. In plain English, he sold us a contract is direct opposition of what we were looking for. He twisted his sales pitch to make it sound like a better deal going his way, and even after asking specifically "how much" - HE FELL SHORT OF DISCLOSING THE COSTS RELATED TO A PLAN HE HAD IN MIND AND I WAS NOT LOOKING FOR.  A failure to disclose is as good as a lie and he lied.  Stop defending frauds and liars please. And by the way - I tried speaking with a Manager last weekend - he tried to sell me something else to appease me.  THIS IS CALLED BAIT AND SWITCH.  Look it up.

Message 15 of 28
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support