Bad service - can I cancel without ETF?

Tutor

Bad service - can I cancel without ETF?

I've moved to an area with extremely bad ATT service. I need to switch to Verizon, which is the only service that works in the area. I called ATT and they said I would need to pay an ETF, but how is this my fault? They don't provide service to my phone anymore. I'm still in the same state, only 1.5 hours away, but I might as well have moved to Mars with the service I get. On the phone, the woman even said - wow; you really get bad service there. I've heard that if you move to a "no service" area ATT will sometime let you out of your contract with no ETF. What about if you move to a "moderate service" area (which is how my area shows up on the coverage map?) I get either one or no bars. Is that moderate? You can't make a phone call with it.

Message 1 of 46 (18,309 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Bad service - can I cancel without ETF?

dijhili wrote:

I agree. Why should we check coverage in order to move? I moved 1.5 miles into an area that was" HIGHLY" covered but get no service. After 1 year of constant calling support I dropped ATT. Now they want $430 for 2 phones AND $66 IN GOVERNEMENT FEES? ATT treats people like $ and nothing more. It's comes as no shock they are rated the worst in the industry! Treat people like crap, you become crap. I will send ATT the microcell back and $200 and that's it! How can they even THINK about charging $66 Government Fees for a TERMINATION FEE?

becuase AT&T doesn't provide coverage everywhere in the US, thats your decision to move locations so you have to make sure you will still be able to use your service. You started your contract in an area with coverage, if you move to an area with little to no coverage you still have to pay the ETF to get out of contract.

Message 31 of 46 (6,726 Views)
Former Employee

Sounds like it would be government charging "government fees", not AT&T. ETF is legit though. Sell your phones and Microcell to make your money back.

Message 32 of 46 (6,719 Views)
Tutor

I feel your pain.  I have been a loyal AT&T customer since they inherited me from Cingular.  I have lived in the same place for over 4 years and have never had an issue with signal until about 2 1/2 months ago.  Now I have little to no service and AT&T doesn't know why (or at least they aren't telling me).  I have 2 smart phones and a data connect device.  I am miles from the nearest land lines, so that isn't an option for me.  I depend on cell phones for everyday calls, but also they are the only way for me to call for emergency assistance in case of fire or medical emergency.  Several AT&T staff have told me that they aren't sure how I ever had service.  Technical support has told me twice that there is nothing else they can do, but stlll AT&T won't  release me without paying the ETF.  One manager told me to go to the website for contact information when I asked for his manager (considering I only have internet service about 10% of the time, that is tricky).  Another said that they wouldn't release me because I was obviously using minutes and data (hello... it's a mobile phone.  I only have problems at or close to home).   I entered into the contract in good faith, but obviously that means nothing to AT&T.  My next move it to contact the local news crews, because in our metro area they love this kind of thing.  I will also contact the Better Business Bureau, my legislative representative, the state attorney general, and everyone in my not inconsiderable personal and professional circle that includes people in several states.  In addition, since I often have to travel to use my phone and computer, I plan to visit friends often who live about 30 miles away where there is service, but it is in an area where AT&T service is roaming.  It is unfortunate that this will cost AT&T more to provide my service.  All of this over $460.  It started out at $484, but they have already drug it out long enough that the ETF has gone down.  Unfortuanely, they are putting me and my family at risk while they do it. 

By the way, this is a very abbreviated version.  I have 6 pages of notes from documenting the problem since my initial call the first week of December.  I have wasted about 8 hours and talked to about 20 different people. 

Message 33 of 46 (6,643 Views)

I am currently trying to cancel my contract without ETF due to poor coverage where I moved, why I am justified:

1) The AT&T coverage map shows they have good service in my area however the town I moved to has a large hill casting a shadow over the town - the hole town doesn't get AT&T coverage. Despite my research ahead of time (which is why I went ahead and renewed) I still don't have coverage.

2) The ETF is to compensate AT&T for the discount on the device. I totally get this and if AT&T didn't lock the phone to their network I would pay my fee and transfer the phone to another network for a lower plan cost. However, AT&T has sold me a device that only works on their network - which doesn't extend to my area despite what their coverage map states.

3) The ETF is suppose to be pro-rated over the duration of the 2-year contract however mine starts at 150 and at 2 years it is still at 50. This is not a pro-rated agreement.

4) I have been a loyal customer with 5 lines for nearly 10 years. I am only trying to cancel 2 of the lines - it just makes good business since to let us out and swallow the fee. If we have to wait till the contracts expire we will be taking all lines with us.

Needless to say I think this doesn't meet the FCC requirements of "fair and reasonable prices" (which they require of all companies using their frequency ranges). I have filed my complaint and will see if AT&T will either 1)unlock the phones so I can transfer them  2)release us from our contract without fees 3) set it up so we can use T-Mobile towers when available so we will have service.

Message 34 of 46 (6,565 Views)
Tutor

Yeah, I got one of those microcells, may as well be a boat anchor.

Message 35 of 46 (6,555 Views)
Contributor

Ive been at ATT/Cingular customer since '99, still have the same phone number, and have had a family line for 5 or 6 years now.. for that last 6 years ive lived in the same area, bought a house, and have not had any major issues with service in that time. That included 2 new contracts on my main line with the iphone 3g then the 4 when that came out, along with phones on the other accounts. Suddenly at the end of 2011, in november, ATT decided I was no longer in their service area and they decided I could no longer have data while at home or anywhere nearby. Add to this the spotty service we have been receiving on our cell phones recently with voicemails and text messages showing up hours and sometimes days late.  Now I am expected to either pay for a data package I can only use if I travel 30 minutes from home, or pay the ETF to drop the line and go elsewhere. 2 ETFs really because I'll take my business elsewhere all at once. I already cancelled another line which had the contract come up. I know my gripe is less than that of others, but multiple contracts from the same billing location for years and then they suddenly decide I can't use the data connection on a smartphone (the major reason I purchased the phone was its convenience of data usage wherever I am) is poor service.

Message 36 of 46 (6,471 Views)
Contributor

"How is it AT&T's fault that you moved?"  This question, from and AT&T employee, is enough to make me not want to be an AT&T customer.  

Oh, and the answer is plain and simple:  AT&T is a *national* provider.  But it cannot provide adequate coverage in certain parts of the nation.  Translation: AT&T fails to provide services promised. 

I live in NYC where AT&T fails regularly.

Never again.

Message 37 of 46 (6,092 Views)
Expert

atrillo wrote:

"How is it AT&T's fault that you moved?"  This question, from and AT&T employee, is enough to make me not want to be an AT&T customer.  

Oh, and the answer is plain and simple:  AT&T is a *national* provider.  But it cannot provide adequate coverage in certain parts of the nation.  Translation: AT&T fails to provide services promised. 

I live in NYC where AT&T fails regularly.

Never again.

There is a disclaimer at the bottom that the statements are their opinion and have no bearing on the company as a whole.

As far as NYC goes, even verizon and sprint fails in the downtown area - I know I carry a phone from each major carrier and am there regularly.

Absolutley no carrier promises you 100 percent reception 100 percent of the time in 100 percent of their coverage area, that is physically impossible concerning the basic technology behind cellular service, back in the beginning of cell servie with bag phones and permently installed phones the coverage was better - becasue the phones had a full 5 watts of transmit / recieve power as compared to todays phones that maybe have .5  or less for transmit and recieve.

Message 38 of 46 (6,087 Views)
Guru

I'm temp carrying two phones and can honestly say my AT&T phone has been much more reliable than my Verizon phone, plus the lte speeds on att have been much faster. Just hit 60 down recently so I'm pretty happy right now.
Message 39 of 46 (6,062 Views)

<snip>

"However, AT&T has sold me a device that only works on their network..."

</snip>

Otherwise stated, "I purchased a device that only works on their network..."

Pay the ETF, sell the phone, and you're even.  WTBD?

Message 40 of 46 (6,038 Views)

I believe there has to be something in AT&T that requires them to cancel without an etf.. However I am curious as well. Tragically I had to recently move due to my husbands job. Where I was finacially able to move and still have a nice place to live, I have absolutely zero service. I have a microcell however it does not work at all. the tech at att was not able to get me service in my residence. I do not believe I should be held accountable for this since the said MicroCell didnt even work. Anyone know if this is truly the case? I dont want to cancel, I love AT&T its the only cell service I have ever had. But I cant afford to pay for something I can not use.

Message 41 of 46 (3,380 Views)

I am sorry to appear as a naysayer, but not everyone can afford to pay 2 cell bills we are in a recession.
Message 42 of 46 (3,378 Views)
Expert

lavender_nurse wrote:

I believe there has to be something in AT&T that requires them to cancel without an etf.. However I am curious as well. Tragically I had to recently move due to my husbands job. Where I was finacially able to move and still have a nice place to live, I have absolutely zero service. I have a microcell however it does not work at all. the tech at att was not able to get me service in my residence. I do not believe I should be held accountable for this since the said MicroCell didnt even work. Anyone know if this is truly the case? I dont want to cancel, I love AT&T its the only cell service I have ever had. But I cant afford to pay for something I can not use.

Unfortunately no cell carrier will promise 100 percent coverage in 100 percent of the locations, I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days. but not sure if it will help

Message 43 of 46 (3,367 Views)
Contributor

I have a similar question.
I can look out my south windows and see 2 towers one of which is att. The att tower has been down nearly a week for voice calls. I cannot receive or make calls as long as I am home. Both mine and my wife's phones respectively. If we want to call we have to drive to the next town. We have been given several different days when the tower is supposed to be up but its still not up. Can I get out of my contract without etfs. I have always lived within coverage Area and within 3 miles of an att tower. Any advice would be appreciated.
Message 44 of 46 (3,182 Views)
Community Manager

Hello, ketan1989!

Thanks for your post! I'm sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing coverage issues. If you have a smartphone, you can download AT&T's Mark the Spot app. This app will pinpoint the exact location of the coverage issues and submit a ticket to our technicians. I would encourage your wife to download the app as well.

For more information about this app and how to download it, simply click on the link below.

AT&T's Mark the Spot

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 45 of 46 (3,167 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.