Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 7, 2011
7:57:33 AM
Bad service - can I cancel without ETF?

I've moved to an area with extremely bad ATT service. I need to switch to Verizon, which is the only service that works in the area. I called ATT and they said I would need to pay an ETF, but how is this my fault? They don't provide service to my phone anymore. I'm still in the same state, only 1.5 hours away, but I might as well have moved to Mars with the service I get. On the phone, the woman even said - wow; you really get bad service there. I've heard that if you move to a "no service" area ATT will sometime let you out of your contract with no ETF. What about if you move to a "moderate service" area (which is how my area shows up on the coverage map?) I get either one or no bars. Is that moderate? You can't make a phone call with it.

I've moved to an area with extremely bad ATT service. I need to switch to Verizon, which is the only service that works in the area. I called ATT and they said I would need to pay an ETF, but how is this my fault? They don't provide service to my phone anymore. I'm still in the same state, only 1.5 hours away, but I might as well have moved to Mars with the service I get. On the phone, the woman even said - wow; you really get bad service there. I've heard that if you move to a "no service" area ATT will sometime let you out of your contract with no ETF. What about if you move to a "moderate service" area (which is how my area shows up on the coverage map?) I get either one or no bars. Is that moderate? You can't make a phone call with it.

Bad service - can I cancel without ETF?

44 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(44)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 8:47:02 AM
(0)
Guru

How is it AT&T's fault that you moved? Specifically to an area with low coverage. That's one thing that should be taken into consideration and researched into before making the move and finding out the hard way. Unfortunately you would have to ride out the ride out the remainder of the contract, cancel and pay the ETF, look into a Transfer of Billing Reponsibility, or maybe invest in a microcell?

How is it AT&T's fault that you moved? Specifically to an area with low coverage. That's one thing that should be taken into consideration and researched into before making the move and finding out the hard way. Unfortunately you would have to ride out the ride out the remainder of the contract, cancel and pay the ETF, look into a Transfer of Billing Reponsibility, or maybe invest in a microcell?

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Re: Bad service - can I cancel without ETF?

2 of 45 (13,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 3:43:30 PM
(0)
Professor
The Aristizzle is correct. Ive posted in another string a similar response , adding my own experience where i moved to an area taht didnt have good service for my previous carrier. I dint blame the carrier, i hated to leave them but had to if i wanted to go with a carrier that did provide good service in my area.

Coming back to ATT was a nobrainer at the time becaues ive had them in the past. and liked the service.
The Aristizzle is correct. Ive posted in another string a similar response , adding my own experience where i moved to an area taht didnt have good service for my previous carrier. I dint blame the carrier, i hated to leave them but had to if i wanted to go with a carrier that did provide good service in my area.

Coming back to ATT was a nobrainer at the time becaues ive had them in the past. and liked the service.
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

3 of 45 (13,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 12:06:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

What an interesting reply. It's not AT&T's fault that you moved, but it's not your fault there is no service. No one should have to pick where they move based on cel phone coverage.

If all else fails, try the mini tower. Cel Phone companies used to let you out if this happened, but they seemed to be going away from that.

What an interesting reply. It's not AT&T's fault that you moved, but it's not your fault there is no service. No one should have to pick where they move based on cel phone coverage.

If all else fails, try the mini tower. Cel Phone companies used to let you out if this happened, but they seemed to be going away from that.

4 of 45 (13,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 12:37:35 PM
(0)
Professor
If a store has a good return policy, you can try ZBoost.
If a store has a good return policy, you can try ZBoost.

5 of 45 (13,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 10:13:24 PM
(0)
Guru

Bigtimeman wrote:

If all else fails, try the mini tower. 

If you're referring to the 3G Microcell, you might want to rethink that. We've been waiting for ours to work without serious issues for 18 months now.

By contrast, the folks that I talk to say Verizon's Network Extender works fine with no issues. I wouldn't know, since we have excellent Verizon coverage in our home.

Bigtimeman wrote:

If all else fails, try the mini tower. 

If you're referring to the 3G Microcell, you might want to rethink that. We've been waiting for ours to work without serious issues for 18 months now.

By contrast, the folks that I talk to say Verizon's Network Extender works fine with no issues. I wouldn't know, since we have excellent Verizon coverage in our home.

6 of 45 (13,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 12:50:22 PM
(0)
Guru
18 months on the microcell is a long time. Have you had any problems with vz so far?
18 months on the microcell is a long time. Have you had any problems with vz so far?

7 of 45 (13,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 3:48:45 PM
(0)
Teacher
This is a disgrace! This is bad business! My daughter bought my Iphone 4 , three weeks ago, if they did not have service in my area, they should have told her that before we went into contract! Your right one bar or no service is not moderate. We are not getting the services we are paying for. I had 5 bars with T Mobile! ATT this is your problem, not ours!
This is a disgrace! This is bad business! My daughter bought my Iphone 4 , three weeks ago, if they did not have service in my area, they should have told her that before we went into contract! Your right one bar or no service is not moderate. We are not getting the services we are paying for. I had 5 bars with T Mobile! ATT this is your problem, not ours!

8 of 45 (13,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 4:17:06 PM
(0)
Professor

mladyraven wrote:

You can return the phone if it's less than 30 days since she bought it.

mladyraven wrote:

You can return the phone if it's less than 30 days since she bought it.

9 of 45 (13,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 6:57:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wow. Sorry, I understand that you're an employee and also that you feel you're in the right, but I'm not saying that AT&T is at fault. I'm simply saying that I'm a customer of 6 years and I'm 1 year into my 2 year contract and I had to move. By "had" I mean that I got a great job offer1.5 hours away from where I previously lived. If I'd known that I had to move to an area covered by AT&T, I guess I could have planned my job search in NY state accordingly. The problem of course is that I was only offered the job I wanted in *this* part of upstate NY. The part that has such poor service that the AT&T rep essentially said "wow; that's bad" and stopped trying to talk me out of switching. I'm not asking AT&T to suck up the entire difference, but come on - my husband and I each have to pay $175 for our phones, which are unusable. It just seems wrong.

Wow. Sorry, I understand that you're an employee and also that you feel you're in the right, but I'm not saying that AT&T is at fault. I'm simply saying that I'm a customer of 6 years and I'm 1 year into my 2 year contract and I had to move. By "had" I mean that I got a great job offer1.5 hours away from where I previously lived. If I'd known that I had to move to an area covered by AT&T, I guess I could have planned my job search in NY state accordingly. The problem of course is that I was only offered the job I wanted in *this* part of upstate NY. The part that has such poor service that the AT&T rep essentially said "wow; that's bad" and stopped trying to talk me out of switching. I'm not asking AT&T to suck up the entire difference, but come on - my husband and I each have to pay $175 for our phones, which are unusable. It just seems wrong.

10 of 45 (13,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 8:12:58 PM
(0)
Employee

Well look, the only reason you have to pay an ETF is so AT&T can recoup the money they took off your phones when you bought them, so all you have to do is sell those phones to recoup your ETF money.

Well look, the only reason you have to pay an ETF is so AT&T can recoup the money they took off your phones when you bought them, so all you have to do is sell those phones to recoup your ETF money.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 45 (13,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 9:05:08 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 16, 2011 at 9:07:38 PM

drumn_bass is right.

You did not pay for something you cannot use. You just paid the ETF so that AT&T can recoup the cost of the phones that you never paid full prices. You can sell your phones to recoup the ETF.

drumn_bass is right.

You did not pay for something you cannot use. You just paid the ETF so that AT&T can recoup the cost of the phones that you never paid full prices. You can sell your phones to recoup the ETF.

[ Edited ]
12 of 45 (13,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 3:30:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ilikewireless wrote:

drumn_bass is right.

You can sell your phones to recoup the ETF.

And maybe even pocket some money for Verizon's next bill payment or phone activation fees. :smileywink:

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

ilikewireless wrote:

drumn_bass is right.

You can sell your phones to recoup the ETF.

And maybe even pocket some money for Verizon's next bill payment or phone activation fees. :smileywink:

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 45 (13,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 5:14:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks. I know I can, but I was just hoping to avoid ebay, etc. It would be great if phone companies took care of this for you - turn in your old phone and we'll pay off your ETA. Or something like that. Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the help. Even the guy who suggested I should have moved somewhere I'd get service! I'm sure he meant well.

You've all been very helpful.

Thanks. I know I can, but I was just hoping to avoid ebay, etc. It would be great if phone companies took care of this for you - turn in your old phone and we'll pay off your ETA. Or something like that. Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the help. Even the guy who suggested I should have moved somewhere I'd get service! I'm sure he meant well.

You've all been very helpful.

14 of 45 (13,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 5:18:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
If you look in the small print of the contract- and this goes for ALL Cell Phone Carriers, no where does it say that there is any kind of guarantee of coverage. There are too many variables that can prevent or lessen cell signal. Trees, weather, computer networks, other broadcasting of stronger frequencies, building, mountains, other people overloading the networking at once, and living too far from the towers will prevent having service. Its kind of common sense.
If you look in the small print of the contract- and this goes for ALL Cell Phone Carriers, no where does it say that there is any kind of guarantee of coverage. There are too many variables that can prevent or lessen cell signal. Trees, weather, computer networks, other broadcasting of stronger frequencies, building, mountains, other people overloading the networking at once, and living too far from the towers will prevent having service. Its kind of common sense.

15 of 45 (13,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 5:37:11 PM
(0)
Professor
100% correct. No one company will ever be glitch free. But you would think if a carrier know they have allowed a contract on a phone that they know is in one of their dead spots...either at contract approval, they should alert the customer of the conditions of their home "billing" calling area... If the customer persist in continuing on, too bad for the customer (after 30 days) ..

. I agree too, if I go visit Hades, Michigan (yup theres such a named town, lol) and my coverage is not great while there, its only temporary for me, ill soon be back home and I shouodnt expect att to build out a network just because I am in the area...

I hope I made a little sense of what I am trying to say
100% correct. No one company will ever be glitch free. But you would think if a carrier know they have allowed a contract on a phone that they know is in one of their dead spots...either at contract approval, they should alert the customer of the conditions of their home "billing" calling area... If the customer persist in continuing on, too bad for the customer (after 30 days) ..

. I agree too, if I go visit Hades, Michigan (yup theres such a named town, lol) and my coverage is not great while there, its only temporary for me, ill soon be back home and I shouodnt expect att to build out a network just because I am in the area...

I hope I made a little sense of what I am trying to say

16 of 45 (13,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 5:45:38 PM
(0)
Tutor
I will agree that there are a great deal of issues that AT&T needs to be fixing, but the customers need to not expect that the service will be perfect- stuff happens. Work with AT&T, let them know what is happening, and when needed escalate.
I will agree that there are a great deal of issues that AT&T needs to be fixing, but the customers need to not expect that the service will be perfect- stuff happens. Work with AT&T, let them know what is happening, and when needed escalate.

17 of 45 (13,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 5:57:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

Look, I have no problems with AT&T per se. I've been a customer for over 6 years. I lived in NYC and had great service despite the complaints I heard from other NYers. I guess I was lucky not to live, work or socialize in bad zones. I didn't mean to start a firestorm. I guess I'm just suggesting that the wireless companies (ALL of them) should work together to figure this out. If I have carrier A, but move somewhere where only carrier B works, you'd think that between the two of them they could figure this out. I apparetnly have a phone of value (based on everyone telling me to sell it,) but I'd prefer to not have to deal with haggling. It's kind of like buying a new car - you can sell your old car yourself, or you can take the trade-in deal to avoid the hassle.

Once again, I appreciate the help. Look for my two iphones on eBay.

Look, I have no problems with AT&T per se. I've been a customer for over 6 years. I lived in NYC and had great service despite the complaints I heard from other NYers. I guess I was lucky not to live, work or socialize in bad zones. I didn't mean to start a firestorm. I guess I'm just suggesting that the wireless companies (ALL of them) should work together to figure this out. If I have carrier A, but move somewhere where only carrier B works, you'd think that between the two of them they could figure this out. I apparetnly have a phone of value (based on everyone telling me to sell it,) but I'd prefer to not have to deal with haggling. It's kind of like buying a new car - you can sell your old car yourself, or you can take the trade-in deal to avoid the hassle.

Once again, I appreciate the help. Look for my two iphones on eBay.

18 of 45 (13,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 10:37:53 PM
(0)
Guru

TriDevotee wrote:

I'd previously been an AT&T customer since the Cingular acquisition. And I tried every avenue of escalation for the problems we kept having, and it finally because obvious that AT&T simply doesn't care. You can try to work with them, but they will just shine you on. They will say whatever gets you off the phone. They'll close cases without calling you back. They'll do everything except fix the problem.

TriDevotee wrote:

I'd previously been an AT&T customer since the Cingular acquisition. And I tried every avenue of escalation for the problems we kept having, and it finally because obvious that AT&T simply doesn't care. You can try to work with them, but they will just shine you on. They will say whatever gets you off the phone. They'll close cases without calling you back. They'll do everything except fix the problem.

19 of 45 (12,994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 5:04:34 AM
(0)
Professor

nsayer wrote:

TriDevotee wrote:

Hey Nsayer, how did your transition go with Verizon? You were able to port your number over?

nsayer wrote:

TriDevotee wrote:

Hey Nsayer, how did your transition go with Verizon? You were able to port your number over?

20 of 45 (12,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 9:36:29 AM
(0)
Guru

I ran for most of Saturday with the AT&T phones forwarded to the Verizon ones just to be sure everything was ok. We took a trip on Saturday up to Treasure Island. The coverage there was a little spotty, but I was quite frankly surprised there was coverage at all. Other than that, it was fine. I ported all three numbers and it only took an hour to complete. I am awaiting the ETF bill from AT&T and the old phones are on eBay as we speak.

I ran for most of Saturday with the AT&T phones forwarded to the Verizon ones just to be sure everything was ok. We took a trip on Saturday up to Treasure Island. The coverage there was a little spotty, but I was quite frankly surprised there was coverage at all. Other than that, it was fine. I ported all three numbers and it only took an hour to complete. I am awaiting the ETF bill from AT&T and the old phones are on eBay as we speak.

21 of 45 (12,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 10:01:34 AM
(0)
Professor
Cool! Sounds like it was practically seamless and no hassles. Even had time to squeeze in a Treasure Island break! Not bad at all!
Cool! Sounds like it was practically seamless and no hassles. Even had time to squeeze in a Treasure Island break! Not bad at all!

22 of 45 (12,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 12:54:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

nsayer wrote:

If you escalate thru the proper channels you will find resolve.  I have seen it numerous times. If you have to go as far up as you can... to the office of the president if need be. Have you tried there?

nsayer wrote:

If you escalate thru the proper channels you will find resolve.  I have seen it numerous times. If you have to go as far up as you can... to the office of the president if need be. Have you tried there?

23 of 45 (12,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 10:54:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

I agree. Why should we check coverage in order to move? I moved 1.5 miles into an area that was" HIGHLY" covered but get no service. After 1 year of constant calling support I dropped ATT. Now they want $430 for 2 phones AND $66 IN GOVERNEMENT FEES? ATT treats people like $ and nothing more. It's comes as no shock they are rated the worst in the industry! Treat people like crap, you become crap. I will send ATT the microcell back and $200 and that's it! How can they even THINK about charging $66 Government Fees for a TERMINATION FEE?

I agree. Why should we check coverage in order to move? I moved 1.5 miles into an area that was" HIGHLY" covered but get no service. After 1 year of constant calling support I dropped ATT. Now they want $430 for 2 phones AND $66 IN GOVERNEMENT FEES? ATT treats people like $ and nothing more. It's comes as no shock they are rated the worst in the industry! Treat people like crap, you become crap. I will send ATT the microcell back and $200 and that's it! How can they even THINK about charging $66 Government Fees for a TERMINATION FEE?

24 of 45 (12,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 10:57:04 AM
(0)
Tutor
If you think ATT pays full retail for an iPhone you are delusional!
If you think ATT pays full retail for an iPhone you are delusional!

25 of 45 (12,881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 10:59:30 AM
(0)
Tutor
I was still in a covered area only 1.5 miles away. ATT still wants me to pay when they cannot provide service? LOL If you cannot provid service, I should not have to pay. Would you pay DirecTV when you moved 1.5 miles in a COVERED area and only get 2 channels? I don't think so!
I was still in a covered area only 1.5 miles away. ATT still wants me to pay when they cannot provide service? LOL If you cannot provid service, I should not have to pay. Would you pay DirecTV when you moved 1.5 miles in a COVERED area and only get 2 channels? I don't think so!

26 of 45 (12,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 11:02:19 AM
(0)
Tutor
No you cannot, ATT does not give a poo about the customers, just the $. Even with a Microcell and being inthe so called "COVERED AREA", I got little to no reception. Now they want $430 in ETF and $66 in Government Fees? Good luck. I was willing to work but all the ATT reps said" Is that all sir?" After 7+ years I would have thought they would care....they don't!
No you cannot, ATT does not give a poo about the customers, just the $. Even with a Microcell and being inthe so called "COVERED AREA", I got little to no reception. Now they want $430 in ETF and $66 in Government Fees? Good luck. I was willing to work but all the ATT reps said" Is that all sir?" After 7+ years I would have thought they would care....they don't!

27 of 45 (12,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 11:47:32 AM
(0)
Guru
Yeah I ended up getting rid of the microcell I got since it didn't work most of the time.
Yeah I ended up getting rid of the microcell I got since it didn't work most of the time.

28 of 45 (12,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 6:25:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

uh they do. more actually.

uh they do. more actually.

29 of 45 (12,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 8:44:30 PM
(0)
Tutor
Microcells do not work. Try contacting the Better Business Bureau. ATT tends to listen to you when you bring in the big guns.
Microcells do not work. Try contacting the Better Business Bureau. ATT tends to listen to you when you bring in the big guns.

30 of 45 (12,783 Views)