Bad customer service

Contributor

Bad customer service

I purchased a used iphone 5 yesterday that was placed on the stolen list. The thing that really  makes me mad  is I called AT&T yesterday with the imei number to make sure it was a clean phone. I s/w David Street with AT&T about this phone and he got with his manager and they verified this phone was legal to purchase. Well long story short I give the seller 200 cash for this phone and had David @ AT&T activate it only to have it quit working several hours later due to it being placed on the stolen list. Now im really mad and call AT&T back and tell them what's going on and they offer no help @ all. They just keep telling me it a stolen device and they can't remove it from the blacklist . My wife is due for her upgrade now and I will be due in 5 months and will not sign another contract with AT&T due to issue and issues with there service/customer support.  I work with customers all day and will pass this bad experience to all of them and to every person I know. I will also tell people not to buy a used phone anymore due to this crap. Just so people know Im mad at the guy that sold me the phone as well. I don't have anyway to contact him about this device he sold me. Long story short AT&T just lost a long time customer due to wrongful information and bad customer support over this phone. I will tell everyone I know or come in contact with about this issue. Thanks AT&T for nothing at all and thanks for letting me buy this 200 dollar paper weight

Message 1 of 5 (831 Views)

Re: Bad customer service

MIKEYD2268 wrote:

I purchased a used iphone 5 yesterday that was placed on the stolen list. The thing that really  makes me mad  is I called AT&T yesterday with the imei number to make sure it was a clean phone. I s/w David Street with AT&T about this phone and he got with his manager and they verified this phone was legal to purchase. Well long story short I give the seller 200 cash for this phone and had David @ AT&T activate it only to have it quit working several hours later due to it being placed on the stolen list. Now im really mad and call AT&T back and tell them what's going on and they offer no help @ all. They just keep telling me it a stolen device and they can't remove it from the blacklist . My wife is due for her upgrade now and I will be due in 5 months and will not sign another contract with AT&T due to issue and issues with there service/customer support.  I work with customers all day and will pass this bad experience to all of them and to every person I know. I will also tell people not to buy a used phone anymore due to this crap. Just so people know Im mad at the guy that sold me the phone as well. I don't have anyway to contact him about this device he sold me. Long story short AT&T just lost a long time customer due to wrongful information and bad customer support over this phone. I will tell everyone I know or come in contact with about this issue. Thanks AT&T for nothing at all and thanks for letting me buy this 200 dollar paper weight

I do apologize for any inconviences caused by the issues you've had. Now, we are unable to remove a stolen device from our blocklist unless the device was blocklisted by you. When buying a used phone, it's always a good idea to give our Customer Care department a call to find out if the device has been blocklisted, provided you have the IMEI number of the device, that way you can make an informed decision about whether or not to purchase the device.

I do suggest sending a private message to jamileh, explain the issue in the message, and send it off. She may be able to assist you with this issue. Again, I do apologize for any inconveniences caused by the issues you've had.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5 (793 Views)
Professor

So you're mad at AT&T because you bought a stolen phone? Makes a lot of sense...

Don't you think it's possible the guy who sold it to you is the one who reported it stolen, after collecting your $200? Maybe so he could file a false claim?

Personally, I'd be very suspicious of anyone selling an iPhone5 for $200.

Message 3 of 5 (790 Views)
Professor

Or, the person who rightfully owned the phone called to report it stolen after the OP had checked with AT&T about the phone.  So technically, AT&T gave the right information at the time.  Also, I don't think that the stolen phone database updates instantly, so the person who owned the phone may have reported it stolen and it didn't update to AT&T's database until sometime later.

Either way, it's not AT&T's fault that the OP purchased a stolen phone.  There's a saying that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Message 4 of 5 (765 Views)
Tutor

Buyer beware. It's a common scam to sell a stolen phoen before it shows up on a stolen list.

If you really want to buy a phone from "a guy" get the IMEI number then tell the seller to meet

you in a week.

Then again, this will not protect you from a seller who is selling his won phone, and wants to report it

himself to make a flase claim, as another poster suggested. That person is right on.

The bottom line, do not buy a used phone from a private person, unless he or she is someone you know quite well.

Message 5 of 5 (487 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.