BYOD on new Prepaid hotspot plan?

Tutor

BYOD on new Prepaid hotspot plan?

[ Edited ]

Does ATT allow you to use any compatible hotspots/MIFIs for their prepaid/GoPhone data plans?  Or must you use their boxed hotspot?  I want to use an out of contract ATT hotspot for the new prepaid hotspot plan but can't find anything that says yes or no...

Their new prepaid hotspot plans $50-5gb or $15-250mb.

Message 1 of 9 (1,205 Views)
Mentor

Re: BYOD on new Prepaid hotspot plan?

Yes  it  is  free..   You  go  to  star bucks  coffee  shop..    and  any  hot spots  around  town..

I  have  ATT  wireless..I  use  hot spots  all the  time..   It  saves  my  data

Message 2 of 9 (1,186 Views)
ACE - Guru

This MIFIs/hotspots is not that common in North America.

People using tab now and Free WiFi hotspots are everywhere in USA & Canada.

I had an unlocked MIFI & mobile internet stick from  UK ,

only 2G work in North America,too slow.I passed.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9 (1,148 Views)
Tutor

Sorry, you are not understanding my question. 

AT&T has new pre-paid hotspots data only wireless plans.  The charge $50/30 days 5gb or $15/30 days 250mb.  This is not a free WIFI at McDonalds or Starbucks.  It is a personal hotspot service you carry around.

My question is, do I have to use/buy their device or can I use an unlocked or my own out of contract AT&T hotspot (BYOD)?  

Their previous USB pre-paid data device had proprietory softward so you could not BYOD.

Anyone know?

Message 4 of 9 (1,044 Views)
ACE - Guru

This is what I told you early.
This MiFi  (Personal hotspot),(Dongle) Not many people use it in North America.
You can go to any Crop. AT&T store ,told them you would like to BYOD.and joint the service.
They will be gladly to help you.
Most BYOD personal hotspot may only work with 2G in North America.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9 (1,023 Views)
Tutor

Thanks.  I am not sure where you are but MIFIs and hotspots are very popular here where I am.  The AT&T hotspots in my uses the 4g and LTE network.

The question is, will a postpaid MIFI work with this new pre-paid plans?  The previous pre-paid data plan required AT&T boxed pre-paid devices with imbedded software.

I called AT&T store and they did not even know of the plan.  

Message 6 of 9 (981 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Guru

As far as I know,any AT&T phones , MiFi's will work in Postpaid or Prepaid plan.
Unless the drive (software) inside your MiFi/phone need update.

Message 7 of 9 (972 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

You have to buy the att mobile hotspot called att unite for $99. The data plans would only work with those device

Message 8 of 9 (925 Views)
Tutor

I took my Elevate (previously post paid hotspot), signed up for prepaid hotspot plan.  Works great and connects to LTE network.

Message 9 of 9 (673 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support