BOGUS international fees when traveling

Contributor

BOGUS international fees when traveling

I recently traveled to Austrlaia for 2 months. Before leaving I made sure of the international fees that would apply to my account in case of an emergency. I looked into paying $30 to add the plan to my account but I had planned to just use wifi and iMessage while I was there instead of wasting my money . While I was in Austrlaia I made sure I kept my data roaming off since that is how they can get you on your next bill. I tried to put a SIM card from a prepaid company in Austrlaia so I could have service but come to find out my new iPhone5 (that I paid too much money for) was locked by at&t . This means that since I'm still under contract wtih them they can control SIM cards from working in my phone from other companies. I discovered that I would cost me $300 to end my contract and unlock my phone. 

This wasn't an option for me considering I was on an aloted travel budget I had saved up for.  

That being said all of it wasn't really a huge problem for me until I was in an airport stranded from being able to talk to anyone. I then decided to turn on my data roaming for 30 min so I could stay in contact with my family members; by doing this I was accepting those awful fees which other companies besides at&t have begun to get rid of (tmobile). 

Almost a month later I received an absolute ridiculous bill for bogus fees! They had charged me Everytime someone tried to come in contact with me while I was away. I never answered phone calls because I realized that it would cost too much money. But little did I know even if I didn't answer the calls they were charging me. They also charged me (for the 30 min I had my data on) $230!!! I couldn't believe how outrageous this was considering I was only using my I messaging. 

Moral of this story is DON'T TRAVEL WITH YOUR AT&T phone!!! They will find reasona to charge you for anything! I will now be paying my early termination fees and more than likely going to verizon! the customer service representative that talked to me was not nice. She would not give me her name or a reference number to the call. I asked for a supervisor several times to which she replied "they can't do anything for you". At&t this is a HUGE disappointment to me. I have been a customer for a long time. I have always paid my bill on time. I'm just greatly disappointed! 

Message 1 of 5 (446 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: BOGUS international fees when traveling

Hillary126 wrote:

I recently traveled to Austrlaia for 2 months. Before leaving I made sure of the international fees that would apply to my account in case of an emergency. I looked into paying $30 to add the plan to my account but I had planned to just use wifi and iMessage while I was there instead of wasting my money . While I was in Austrlaia I made sure I kept my data roaming off since that is how they can get you on your next bill. I tried to put a SIM card from a prepaid company in Austrlaia so I could have service but come to find out my new iPhone5 (that I paid too much money for) was locked by at&t . This means that since I'm still under contract wtih them they can control SIM cards from working in my phone from other companies. I discovered that I would cost me $300 to end my contract and unlock my phone. 

This wasn't an option for me considering I was on an aloted travel budget I had saved up for.  

That being said all of it wasn't really a huge problem for me until I was in an airport stranded from being able to talk to anyone. I then decided to turn on my data roaming for 30 min so I could stay in contact with my family members; by doing this I was accepting those awful fees which other companies besides at&t have begun to get rid of (tmobile). 

Almost a month later I received an absolute ridiculous bill for bogus fees! They had charged me Everytime someone tried to come in contact with me while I was away. I never answered phone calls because I realized that it would cost too much money. But little did I know even if I didn't answer the calls they were charging me. They also charged me (for the 30 min I had my data on) $230!!! I couldn't believe how outrageous this was considering I was only using my I messaging. 

Moral of this story is DON'T TRAVEL WITH YOUR AT&T phone!!! They will find reasona to charge you for anything! I will now be paying my early termination fees and more than likely going to verizon! the customer service representative that talked to me was not nice. She would not give me her name or a reference number to the call. I asked for a supervisor several times to which she replied "they can't do anything for you". At&t this is a HUGE disappointment to me. I have been a customer for a long time. I have always paid my bill on time. I'm just greatly disappointed! 

Why would you turn on data roaming to keep in touch with people? That doesn't make sense. Even if you needed data to stay in touch (email, I guess), your airport didn't have WiFi?

If calls are routed to voicemail, it's the same as if you answered. To avoid international call charges, you should put your phone in airplane mode, so calls are not attempted to be delivered. 

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/faq.jsp

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (399 Views)
ACE - Master

So you already knew about the high international roaming data rate but went ahead and turned it on anyway and now you are shocked? Seems like you have no one to blame but yourself on that one. Yes, $20/MB is ridiculously high and even iMessage can rack up charges quickly. You could have added an international data package from your MyATT app and saved a lot of money. Or you could have turned off iMessage and just send text messages. Even at 50 cents a text, that would have been a lot cheaper than using data. 

As for the phone calls getting charged even if not answered, sorry you found out the hard way but that is just the way international roaming agreements work. The fact that your phone rings means the international carrier handled your call and therefore expects to get paid.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5 (396 Views)
ACE - Guru

I do agree with"sandblaster"!!
All telcom over the world are the same!!
As long as you are roaming on someone else network!!
Don't blame AT&T!! Get a cheap unlocked phone when you're travel!!

Message 4 of 5 (378 Views)
Community Manager

Hello @Hillary126 

In most cases AT&T can make retroactive changes and recalculate your bill to the amount of the appropriate international option, it's not clear from your original post if it was done or not, please let us know if you still need help.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 5 (324 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.