Ask a question

Posted Mar 19, 2014
12:27:20 PM
View profile
BEWARE! DO NOT fall victim of the NEXT program and AT&T

Since it seems to be practice that AT&T keep certain information from you so you can purchase new phones, I will share this information with you so that you're fully aware of the facts before you make a deicison you might regret.

In summary, if you purchse a new phone and add insurance, BUT you have already made two claims within a year, AT&T's insurance company will cancel your insurance and will NOT notify you. AT&T will also fail to notify you. This means that if you lose your phone, you will be stuck paying for a phone you don't have. AT&T assumes that you keep track of your insurance claims and when you made them. I'll give you that, perhaps it is the customer's reponsibility. The probem here is that when you go to an AT&T store, they will tell you that you need to get insurnace and since you're upgrading to a new phone, you're covered. You're good. That's a lie!

Recently, my brother purchased a Lumia 1520 through AT&Ts Next program. This means that over 18 months he would have paid the retail price of $584.99.

When he bought the phone, an AT&T representative told him he needed to get insurance, obviously, with a phone that expensive that's probably a smart choice so he did ($9.99/month). About a month later, he went back to the store to add a new line and once again, he confirmed with another AT&T representative that he had insurance on his Lumia 1520. Fast forward to 3 months later, he loses his phone. He goes to the AT&T store, calls the insurance company and he's told that he has no insurnace. Since we're already at the store and the same represntative that sold the insurance to my brother is there, we go and try to figure out what happened. Turns out that since he had made two claims, Asurion (AT&T's insurance company) decided to just cancel it without any notification. If they had notified him that his insurnace was cancelled  within 30 days, he still had an option to cancel his contract and return the phone because 1) AT&T misinformed him and he made a purchase based on that, and 2) having an almost $600 phone without insurance is just not a smart move.

This can happen to anyone!! One of his two claims was because his phone stopped charging a week after his warranty expired. He has no choice  but to submit a claim. The second one, his screen shattered. This are 2 very legitimate reason and could happen to anyone. If you are under the Next program, and this happens to you, you're screwed. You'll have to continue paying for the phone if it's stolen or damaged.

Bottom line is, he upgraded a phone and was told he was covered (TWICE!). Then they cancelled a serivce without any notification (of course, so that he couldn't return the phone) and now he has to pay for a phone he doesn't have. AT&T refuses to take any responsibility for this. That is no way to treat your customers. At least give us the full facts so that we can make better decisions. If I know I don't quliafy for insurance, let me know so I don't go for such an expensive phone!...but of course, thar is not in your best interest. To me that's exactly what a scam looks like.

I was so close to upgrading my phone, but after this, there's no way I will take that risk. Paying full price for a phone and not being protected. No way!

BEWARE! DO NOT fall victim of the NEXT program and AT&T

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 3:40:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Unfortunately, it is in the terms of service of the insurance contract, that only 2 claims per 12 months are allowed. No one ever reads the terms of service and then is surprised when the terms of service come back to bite them. AT&T only sees the insurance coverage, not how many times he has files a claim, so AT&T doesn't know that he reached his claim limit.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: BEWARE! DO NOT fall victim of the NEXT program and AT&T

2 of 14 (1,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 12:25:04 PM
(0)
Employee

Agreed.

You typically see it quite clearly on the bill, it shows it was removed.

That's considered enough notification, but like kdfederer, said, it's also part of the terms, that would have been originally provided.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 14 (1,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 5:27:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by ujmnz on Mar 21, 2014 at 5:28:32 PM

i got a letter earlier this month from asurion that the insurance on my father's line was removed because of his 2 claims. 

It stated I must wait 1 year from the 2nd claim to re-add the insurance. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 14 (1,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 7:25:02 AM
(0)
Employee

This also has nothing to do with Next. The insurance works the same way regardless of how you buy the phone or what you pay for it. 

5 of 14 (1,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 8:15:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

I agree. It is clearly stated. I understand how the insurance works. I still think AT&T was misleading and gave us the wrong information.....TWICE!

When my brother purchased the new phone he was told by two different AT&T representatives that because he was upgrading through the NEXT program, he needed to purchase insurance AND that because it was an upgrade, he would be covered.

What I mean by beware when upgrading through the Next program is that if you do lose your phone twice or it's damaged within a year, you WILL be stuck paying for it. It is a risk, I understand.....but don't believe AT&T when they tell you that because you're upgrading, you're starting fresh. If i decide to upgrade, I want to understand that risk and be aware of it.

My brother made a decision based on wrong information provided by AT&T. Period.

6 of 14 (1,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 8:20:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

It would have been nice to received a letter, but we didn't. Someone also mentioned that it's removed from the bill, but seriously? When you have multiple lines in your plan and you have auto payment setup, who looks at those things?

I also mentioned that I know it is the customers reposibility to take a look at that. However, that's not the point of this post. It is not how the insurance works, although I do think they should have notified us. It is about how AT&T representatives gave us the wrong information.

Also, when I suggested that my brother went to a different provider just so he can get a discounted phone, the AT&T guy said....."do that, that's fine, you can go, but you still have to pay for this phone." Clearly, they don't really care. 

7 of 14 (1,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 11:04:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

You mean just because you have auto payment set up you don't look at the bill anymore?  Seriously?  

8 of 14 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 2:41:10 AM
(0)
Guru

I have been notified by Asurion if I make a second claim I cannot continue my insurance coverage and from there I make my decision. On the first post I would sympathize somebody dropped the ball. But then on your last post you bash them for disclosing information? Make up your mind. I find in this day and age I research before I buy and usually look for restaurants that has good reviews the same I treat buying most products. As far as AT&T I go to my tried and true long time salesperson and give him business so he continues to work there. I mean you are using this as a resource, I am pretty sure Yelp comes up in a google search above this website.

But I agree looking at the bill is a pain in the rear and almost missed not paying insurance on my Asus tablet. Good thing I was able to add it on last week before my year was up.

9 of 14 (1,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 5:07:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'm genuinely interested.  What is so bad about looking at a bill to make sure that it is accurate, especially one that you are about to pay your hard-earned money for?

10 of 14 (1,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 3:12:33 AM
(0)
Guru

For me just not my thing. I pay a certain amount and expect some accuracy. But if the bill jumps high its time to check. The salespeople I see are on it and fix anything they mess up on.

11 of 14 (1,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 8:59:44 AM
(0)
Employee

21stNow wrote:

I'm genuinely interested.  What is so bad about looking at a bill to make sure that it is accurate, especially one that you are about to pay your hard-earned money for?

I agree. I follow Murph's law, the month you don't look at your bill is the month something is wrong with it. 

12 of 14 (1,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 10:37:16 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by rowell65 on Apr 5, 2014 at 10:39:18 PM

sandblaster wrote:

21stNow wrote:

I agree. I follow Murph's law, the month you don't look at your bill is the month something is wrong with it. 

Same here.  Just like I have direct deposit for may pay, but I still check it every time just to make sure.  I guess some people can't be bothered to check their bill.  As much as we're paying for cell phone service nowadays compared to before, I really want to make sure the bill is as accurate as possible.  I have 5 lines on my account, that's as much as a car payment in many cases.  It just makes good financial sense to verify your bill.   You can't get complacent.

[ Edited ]
13 of 14 (993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 6:34:23 PM
(0)
Contributor
The interesting thing to me is you were told you have to have insurance with the next program when in fact you don't. I have 3 phones on the next program and do not have insurance on any when I got my first next upgrade they put insurance on it when I didn't want it and they credited it back to me when I noticed it.

14 of 14 (739 Views)