Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 2, 2013
5:27:41 PM
View profile
At over $200/month for my family, it's time to move on
Edited by inconnu on Sep 2, 2013 at 5:28:46 PM

I've been an AT&T subscriber since 2003, and I love the service and support -- the billing, however, has gotten out of control.  We have 3 lines for our family -- I have the grandfathered unlimited data line, my wife and son both have the 200MB/month plans.  We have 450 minutes shared/month -- but our rollover is close to 6000 hours now because we rarely use the service for talking.

My son just got an SMS message this morning saying that he had racked up $50 in text messages.  I logged into our account to check what plan he was on.  Both my wife and I are on "Messaging 200" for $5/month -- and I believe my son was on that as well, but it somehow got removed (??).  I contacted customer support about adding it, and they said it was no longer available and that I should do unlimited messaging for $20/month.

Keep in mind that SMS messages use literally no additional bandwith on the network (MMS messages, on the other hand, do).  There should not be any charge for this service, because AT&T doesn't have to do anything to support it.  I priced out a plan with another provider, and it came to $90/month for unlimited calling and texting with 500MB/month data.  I've signed up for that, and whatever penalty I have to pay for early cancellation will be made up in a handful of months.  I'll miss my unlimited plan, but I rarely went over 500MB anyway.

I love everything about AT&T wireless, but the pricing has become completely ridiculous.

I've been an AT&T subscriber since 2003, and I love the service and support -- the billing, however, has gotten out of control.  We have 3 lines for our family -- I have the grandfathered unlimited data line, my wife and son both have the 200MB/month plans.  We have 450 minutes shared/month -- but our rollover is close to 6000 hours now because we rarely use the service for talking.

My son just got an SMS message this morning saying that he had racked up $50 in text messages.  I logged into our account to check what plan he was on.  Both my wife and I are on "Messaging 200" for $5/month -- and I believe my son was on that as well, but it somehow got removed (??).  I contacted customer support about adding it, and they said it was no longer available and that I should do unlimited messaging for $20/month.

Keep in mind that SMS messages use literally no additional bandwith on the network (MMS messages, on the other hand, do).  There should not be any charge for this service, because AT&T doesn't have to do anything to support it.  I priced out a plan with another provider, and it came to $90/month for unlimited calling and texting with 500MB/month data.  I've signed up for that, and whatever penalty I have to pay for early cancellation will be made up in a handful of months.  I'll miss my unlimited plan, but I rarely went over 500MB anyway.

I love everything about AT&T wireless, but the pricing has become completely ridiculous.

At over $200/month for my family, it's time to move on

[ Edited ]
10 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 7:01:07 PM
(0)
Expert

inconnu wrote:

What I do not understand is how if on a family plan you and tour wife had a individual texting plan, you should have been on the family version of the texting plan that with a qualifying voice plan would have given you unlimited to mobile to any mobile. If you where not on a family plan then here is a major issue for cost. Witht eh pricing you mentioned, it appears to be t-mobile, good luck with them

your etfs wil be as follows

smartphone - 325.00 - (10.00 * number of billing cycles completed)

basic phone - 150.00 - (4.00 *number of billing cycles completed)

this charge will be per line since each line has it's own contract end date. In addition you will be billed for your minal month and it will not be pro-rated.

inconnu wrote:

What I do not understand is how if on a family plan you and tour wife had a individual texting plan, you should have been on the family version of the texting plan that with a qualifying voice plan would have given you unlimited to mobile to any mobile. If you where not on a family plan then here is a major issue for cost. Witht eh pricing you mentioned, it appears to be t-mobile, good luck with them

this charge will be per line since each line has it's own contract end date. In addition you will be billed for your minal month and it will not be pro-rated.

Re: At over $200/month for my family, it's time to move on

2 of 11 (1,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 8:35:49 PM
(0)
Expert

That does seem a bit high considering we have a....

700 minute Family Talk plan ($60 with my husband's work discount)

Unlimited Family Messaging @ $30/mo

2GB/$25/mo data plan (not offered any longer) for my smartphone

2 x $10/mo Unlimited Media Net (data) for dumbphones.

+ taxes and fees it comes to around $150/mo

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

That does seem a bit high considering we have a....

700 minute Family Talk plan ($60 with my husband's work discount)

Unlimited Family Messaging @ $30/mo

2GB/$25/mo data plan (not offered any longer) for my smartphone

2 x $10/mo Unlimited Media Net (data) for dumbphones.

+ taxes and fees it comes to around $150/mo

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

3 of 11 (1,274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 11:15:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by topshot on Sep 12, 2013 at 11:52:19 AM

I was with AT&T since 2006 and recently moved to T-mobile due to high bill.

Now my monthly bill is down to $80 + Tax for unlimited everything on 2 lines. Also 500MB/month data that you mentioned is unlimited. First 500MB is high speed 4G data and after that you can still use data but at lower speed. So unlike AT&T if you use additonal data you wont get charged.

Corrected  For me - None can justify AT&T cost compared to T-mobile including cost for device. I live in Chicago suburb so coverage is not an issue for me. I was very happy with AT&T service but the bill killed the deal.  

Now my monthly bill is down to $80 + Tax for unlimited everything on 2 lines. Also 500MB/month data that you mentioned is unlimited. First 500MB is high speed 4G data and after that you can still use data but at lower speed. So unlike AT&T if you use additonal data you wont get charged.

Corrected  For me - None can justify AT&T cost compared to T-mobile including cost for device. I live in Chicago suburb so coverage is not an issue for me. I was very happy with AT&T service but the bill killed the deal.  

[ Edited ]
4 of 11 (1,059 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 11:25:46 AM
(0)
Expert

topshot wrote:

None can justify AT&T cost compared to T-mobile including cost for device. I live in Chicago suburb so coverage is not an issue for me. I was very happy with AT&T service but the bill killed the deal.  

can justify it easily - I travel to places that t-mobile has 0 coverage.

topshot wrote:

None can justify AT&T cost compared to T-mobile including cost for device. I live in Chicago suburb so coverage is not an issue for me. I was very happy with AT&T service but the bill killed the deal.  

can justify it easily - I travel to places that t-mobile has 0 coverage.

5 of 11 (1,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 2:40:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

well I travel to plenty of places that at&t has 0 coverage as well. thats not a big selling point.

well I travel to plenty of places that at&t has 0 coverage as well. thats not a big selling point.

6 of 11 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 4:05:39 PM
(0)
Expert

otrjeffo wrote:

which is why I have phones from verizon, sprint, rogers vodaphone and globalstar

otrjeffo wrote:

which is why I have phones from verizon, sprint, rogers vodaphone and globalstar

7 of 11 (725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 7:40:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

inconnu wrote:

I know that this is old, but two things here.  One is that if there were three individual text messaging plans for $5 each, that would be half the price of the family text messaging plan of $30, so the OP did better with the individual plans.

Second, the OP's account seems to be old enough to possibly have pro rata charges for the final month of service.  I can't tell if the OP is a former Cingular or AT&T Wireless customer, and that may have an effect on this.

wingrider01 wrote:

inconnu wrote:

I know that this is old, but two things here.  One is that if there were three individual text messaging plans for $5 each, that would be half the price of the family text messaging plan of $30, so the OP did better with the individual plans.

Second, the OP's account seems to be old enough to possibly have pro rata charges for the final month of service.  I can't tell if the OP is a former Cingular or AT&T Wireless customer, and that may have an effect on this.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 11 (702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 10:13:02 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:13:26 AM

21stNow wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

inconnu wrote:

do not believe that individual texting plans can be applied to family plans, plus with 750 minute family plan the texting plan would also include unlimited mobile to any mobile calling

21stNow wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

inconnu wrote:

do not believe that individual texting plans can be applied to family plans, plus with 750 minute family plan the texting plan would also include unlimited mobile to any mobile calling

[ Edited ]
9 of 11 (689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 4:42:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Lines within family plans can have individual text messaging packages attached to them.  Plus, everyone doesn't need unlimited mobile-to-any-mobile calling.  I'm on the 550-minute plan and rarely use 100 Anytime minutes in a month.  I even had a month where I used 0 Anytime minutes.

Lines within family plans can have individual text messaging packages attached to them.  Plus, everyone doesn't need unlimited mobile-to-any-mobile calling.  I'm on the 550-minute plan and rarely use 100 Anytime minutes in a month.  I even had a month where I used 0 Anytime minutes.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 11 (667 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 11:23:32 AM
(0)
Contributor
I pay over $60 a month for a lousy 450 minutes, 200 MEGS of data (less than 1 minute of You Tube thanks AT&T) and ZERO text Messaging. None. They want another $20+ a month for TEXT MESSAGING

It's ridiculous.

I can get a prepaid plan with unlimited everything for $50 a month and no contract.
I pay over $60 a month for a lousy 450 minutes, 200 MEGS of data (less than 1 minute of You Tube thanks AT&T) and ZERO text Messaging. None. They want another $20+ a month for TEXT MESSAGING

It's ridiculous.

I can get a prepaid plan with unlimited everything for $50 a month and no contract.

11 of 11 (576 Views)