Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 18, 2014
6:20:32 AM
View profile
At&t refuses to port a number from within At&t!! Going to Verizon :(

After a week of many tears and frustrations trying to upgrade my phone and change my plan to include my boyfriend, my new Note III and his s4 finally arrived! We were told we had to go into the store to port his number (from his sisters At&t acct) to his new line on my plan. Customer care opened the new line so that he could order his phone. We were told porting the number he has had since high school wouldn't be a problem... WRONG. After standing in the store for two hours, we were finally told that the only way for him to keep his new number is to port it to a different carrier. DONE! So tired of dealing with At&t. It shouldn't be this hard to buy phones and add service!!! Not to mention Verizon has better coverage in our area anyways, you would think At&t would want to make it easier! Smiley Sad

After a week of many tears and frustrations trying to upgrade my phone and change my plan to include my boyfriend, my new Note III and his s4 finally arrived! We were told we had to go into the store to port his number (from his sisters At&t acct) to his new line on my plan. Customer care opened the new line so that he could order his phone. We were told porting the number he has had since high school wouldn't be a problem... WRONG. After standing in the store for two hours, we were finally told that the only way for him to keep his new number is to port it to a different carrier. DONE! So tired of dealing with At&t. It shouldn't be this hard to buy phones and add service!!! Not to mention Verizon has better coverage in our area anyways, you would think At&t would want to make it easier! Smiley Sad

At&t refuses to port a number from within At&t!! Going to Verizon :(

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 10:29:40 AM
(0)
Employee

The process that should have been completed for you in the first place is called a Transfer of Billing Responsability or ToBR.  If you are within 14 days of activation I would suggest going to the point of sale (in this case Customer Care) and asking about your options for getting the number over.

The process that should have been completed for you in the first place is called a Transfer of Billing Responsability or ToBR.  If you are within 14 days of activation I would suggest going to the point of sale (in this case Customer Care) and asking about your options for getting the number over.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: At&t refuses to port a number from within At&t!! Going to Verizon :(

2 of 7 (848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 7:52:33 AM
(0)
Community Manager

This is absolutely correct. Porting process doesn't apply to in carrier number transfers, porting means from/to different carriers. Transfer of Billing Responsibility (TOBR) is a process of taking a line, number and it's contract from one account and moving it to another. As suggested, a new line might need to be canceled and equipment returned, then a TOBR performed, any remaining contract on his line will have to move over with it and it'll preserve the same upgrade eligibility date.

If you need help with those arrangements, please send us a private message here.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

This is absolutely correct. Porting process doesn't apply to in carrier number transfers, porting means from/to different carriers. Transfer of Billing Responsibility (TOBR) is a process of taking a line, number and it's contract from one account and moving it to another. As suggested, a new line might need to be canceled and equipment returned, then a TOBR performed, any remaining contract on his line will have to move over with it and it'll preserve the same upgrade eligibility date.

If you need help with those arrangements, please send us a private message here.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 7 (799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 11:27:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

So I would use TOBR to return my daughter and her husband to my family plan so they can save some money.  Sharing our 10GB data (more than we/they have every used) and the $15 plus tax line charge.

So I would use TOBR to return my daughter and her husband to my family plan so they can save some money.  Sharing our 10GB data (more than we/they have every used) and the $15 plus tax line charge.

4 of 7 (710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 4:29:03 PM
(0)
Expert

dave.m2bits wrote:

word of caution - the 15.00 line charge is only valid on smartphones that are on the next plan or no annual service contract, if they are basic phones then the 15.00 charge is valid.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=yKiX0roX6QJ

dave.m2bits wrote:

word of caution - the 15.00 line charge is only valid on smartphones that are on the next plan or no annual service contract, if they are basic phones then the 15.00 charge is valid.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=yKiX0roX6QJ

5 of 7 (700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 5:52:30 AM
(0)
Professor

The TOBR is very easy to do, I did it just last week for my son and his girlfriend's phones that were on my account. The owner of the account that holds the line needs to call CS and make the request. The CSR places an authorization (good for 14 days) on the account for the numbers to be taken, and provides a number for the owner of the destination account to call and complete the transfer.

The whole process for me took less than 10 minutes, and that included changing the primary number on my account.

The TOBR is very easy to do, I did it just last week for my son and his girlfriend's phones that were on my account. The owner of the account that holds the line needs to call CS and make the request. The CSR places an authorization (good for 14 days) on the account for the numbers to be taken, and provides a number for the owner of the destination account to call and complete the transfer.

The whole process for me took less than 10 minutes, and that included changing the primary number on my account.

6 of 7 (674 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 6:42:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

OP - 

Sounds like you opened the line for the $100 bill credit and subsidized phone price instead of doing the transfer of responsibility. 

I did the same thing myself. 

OP - 

Sounds like you opened the line for the $100 bill credit and subsidized phone price instead of doing the transfer of responsibility. 

I did the same thing myself. 

7 of 7 (516 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments