Asurion, AT&T's insurance company, is screwing us!

Contributor

Asurion, AT&T's insurance company, is screwing us!

So here's the situation. I got an ipad white WiFi + LTE 64GB. Cost me $900!! I started paying for mobile insurance for it once I got it registered for AT&T. It gets stolen later on so me and my parents have been going through a long process to get it back through asurion. We filled out all their paperwork and crap so they send us a iPhone 4S 64GB but mistake then say that they'll fix it just ship the iphone back, which we did, then once it gets back they tell us the the IE number doesn't match up with what we say! The ipad was a 64GB but on file they claim it's a 16GB! Me and my family have been trying to dispute with them for weeks because we misplaced the box and no one can help us not apple not asurion not AT&T. This is total crap that We pay for insurance plus we are willing to pay a deductible for it and they are trying to short us $200 in memory. It was a graduation gift and I planned on using it for college. Asurion says without that IE number there is basically nothing we can do but take the 16GB. We've looked through our entire house looking for the box however it cannot be found although we have a Receipt that is PROOF from walmart saying that we paid for that, it doesn't say 64GB on the receipt?!?! WHAT OTHER VERSION OF THE iPAD IS $829.00 PLUS TAX?!?! This is total crap. The insurance we pay AT&T for is COMPLETELY SCREWING US! This is bull.... I'm this close to just paying the cancellation fee on our contracts and split because this is ridiculous! 

Message 1 of 14 (9,586 Views)
Tutor

Re: Asurion, AT&T's insurance company, is screwing us!

[ Edited ]

Good Evening jbezj94!

Do you by chance have the iPad serial number? You can look up the iPad via https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

I've never heard of Asurion, not really sure what their policies are =(

Message 2 of 14 (9,582 Views)
Guru

Do you have more than 1 Ipad? asurion gets the imei number from att by seeing the imei number the att sim card was in. That's usually where they get their info.

I only ask this because I saw a situation where a customer was trying to file an insurance claim on one ipad, but they had the sim card(phone number) on a different Ipad. So the insurance would only cover the Ipad the sim card was in and not the one that was broken.

Of course, if that's your only Ipad,then we can disregard this possibility. Just thnking out loud. 

Message 3 of 14 (9,538 Views)
Professor

Not that it will help with your situation, but Asurion is not AT&T's insurance company. They are a completely separate company who handles insurance for all carriers, not just AT&T.

One question though. Doesn't the Walmart receipt have the iPad serial number or IMEI?

Or, if you've ever backed it up with iTunes, the information is there. Open iTunes and go to Edit...Preferences. Pick the devices tab and just hover over the iPad. It will show you the phone number, IMEI and serial number of the device.

Message 4 of 14 (9,528 Views)
Mentor

Asurion has nothing to deal with ATT.  ATT as well as all the other service providers use them for 3rd party warranty.  I agree with you they are down right dreadful and usually a waste of money.  In your situation however it appears to good that you have them.  There are not many insurance providers out there that will cover an ipad and cover for theft. 

Do as others have recommended and I hope it al works out for you.  And keep on eye on your personal belongings at all times.  Especially while in school.

Message 5 of 14 (9,469 Views)
Professor

My renter's insurance covers stolen anything, as long as police report filed. I do have a higher deductible, but I get replacement cost.

Personally, I would probably have tried to warrant through Square trade, they give full cost of purchase back. Nothing personal AT&T, but your 6.99/month + taxes and $125 deductible for a refurbished device, not so good.
Message 6 of 14 (9,403 Views)
Professor

karv213 wrote:
My renter's insurance covers stolen anything, as long as police report filed. I do have a higher deductible, but I get replacement cost.

Personally, I would probably have tried to warrant through Square trade, they give full cost of purchase back. Nothing personal AT&T, but your 6.99/month + taxes and $125 deductible for a refurbished device, not so good.

Again, Asurion is not affiliated with AT&T. They provide insurance for all carriers and set their own prices.

Message 7 of 14 (9,392 Views)
Professor

I I know that, but I just upgraded, and att CR keep pushing it.

For average Joe Consumer, it looks like att, it walk a like att, therfore it MUST be att :-)
Message 8 of 14 (9,367 Views)
Mentor

karv213 wrote:
I I know that, but I just upgraded, and att CR keep pushing it.

For average Joe Consumer, it looks like att, it walk a like att, therfore it MUST be att :-)

I think what others are trying to tell you is that the other carriers use Asurion as well.  So when you post something like

"I'm this close to just paying the cancellation fee on our contracts and split because this is ridiculous!,"

what we are trying to say is even if you take your money elsewhere you may go through something similar as they all use the 3rd party company Asurion.  There are other insurance companies out there.  Educate yourself

Message 9 of 14 (9,175 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey dont feel bad I had to claim a insurance claim a week ago andthe lady I spoke with sent me my phones and the fedex driver left them at my front door.I never got them and I called back to asurion and they reshipped my phones but Iin that time period they turned off all my lines saying i did a fraud which I didnt.my mother was on my plan and she has cancer and aint doing to well I called up to asurion and the lady I spoke with told me flat out that it aint her problem yes it made me cry and angry cause I pay my bills and my credit score is a 727 I was lied on and asurion aint nothing but a big ripp off they told me to get another service with another company I do believe if everyone stands together and dont let this happen again they may stopp there stuff intil then we are going to get walked on and lied to so forget you asurion karma will bite u in the tailend I had 10 lines now the phones I bought when I got my at&t account is the phones I lost they wont give me what is rightfully mine that aint right either then when I called asurion the lady there told me to screw off they run the show not us im not scared I also have sent in the recorded conversation to the local news company and the contacted me yesterday and they have all my paperwork.yes I sent them the fedex paper and so ontake a stand people dont let asurion do u like they did me

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Message 10 of 14 (5,089 Views)
Employee

If you're planning on Not doing anymore business with Wireless Phone Insurance. The best options is removing the Feature from your bill - Sorry if that sounded mean.

Asurion is something like a Contractor, every wireless provider uses them for their insurance company. Go to phoneclaim.com, you will see all of the different providers, so don't get mad at AT&T!
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 14 (5,072 Views)
Mentor

Do get mad at AT&T, they profit from selling you a bad insurance policy. It's AT&Ts choice whether they want to continue to take money from Asurion, knowing full well of their HORRENDOUS track record in handling claims.

I didn't even sign up for insurance and AT&T started charging me for it anyway. Never filed a claim but after I researched it I realized the insurance policy was a form of legalized robbery and removed it from my bill.

I will never recommend anyone use AT&T as their carrier, they are extremely shady with the way they push this awful insurance on innocent people. I don't care "all the other major carriers use asurion." I'll figure out whatever minor carrier doesn't and ill use them, or just drop service all together. Not going to take this lying down.

Who's with me?!?
Message 12 of 14 (4,680 Views)
Expert

kpryan1982 wrote:
Do get mad at AT&T, they profit from selling you a bad insurance policy. It's AT&Ts choice whether they want to continue to take money from Asurion, knowing full well of their HORRENDOUS track record in handling claims.

I didn't even sign up for insurance and AT&T started charging me for it anyway. Never filed a claim but after I researched it I realized the insurance policy was a form of legalized robbery and removed it from my bill.

I will never recommend anyone use AT&T as their carrier, they are extremely shady with the way they push this awful insurance on innocent people. I don't care "all the other major carriers use asurion." I'll figure out whatever minor carrier doesn't and ill use them, or just drop service all together. Not going to take this lying down.

Who's with me?!?

try cricket, they should fit your requirements

Message 13 of 14 (4,674 Views)
Mentor

Well old friend wingrider, since my only requirement is not getting ROBBED BLIND, I think there ought to be few options out there, I just know AT&T isn't one of them...
Message 14 of 14 (4,661 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.