AppleCare or AT&T Mobile Insurance?

Tutor

AppleCare or AT&T Mobile Insurance?

I'm just curious on the preference.  My brother just purchased the new 5S from a retail store.  They pushed AT&T but he stuck with AppleCare.  I'm switching to a 5S soon, so just wondering.  I have a 4 and did AppleCare then because I don't think the AT&T Ins covered it then.  any feedback is welcome!  

Message 1 of 16 (12,530 Views)
Expert

Re: AppleCare or AT&T Mobile Insurance?

Tahooked wrote:

I'm just curious on the preference.  My brother just purchased the new 5S from a retail store.  They pushed AT&T but he stuck with AppleCare.  I'm switching to a 5S soon, so just wondering.  I have a 4 and did AppleCare then because I don't think the AT&T Ins covered it then.  any feedback is welcome!  

Applecare+ is a extended warranty, it does not cover lost or stolen phones,  Asurion (att insurance) is an insurance policy, it does cover lost or stolen phones. Be aware the deductable on Asurion for a smartphone is 199.00 and is not waived.

Message 2 of 16 (12,471 Views)
Master

Check Apple Care + at their website if I had it to do over I would have got it.

Message 3 of 16 (12,453 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

Tahooked wrote:

Applecare+ is a extended warranty, it does not cover lost or stolen phones,  Asurion (att insurance) is an insurance policy, it does cover lost or stolen phones. Be aware the deductable on Asurion for a smartphone is 199.00 and is not waived.

AppleCare+ is an extended warranty, and it comes at a fixed price ($129 IIRC).  This price also includes 2 "incidents" where Apple will replace a damaged iPhone (broken screen, water damage, etc.) for the price of $49 per incident.  It will only extend the period for 1 year past the purchase date, and it must be purchased within 30 days of purchasing the new iPhone.  If the iPhone is not purchased directly from Apple, you must take it tinto an Apple Store so the tech at the Genius Bar can verify it is in good working order before they will sell you the coverage.

The AT&T coverage is insurance, and you can continue it as long as you are willing to pay the monthly premiums.  As someone else said, it won't cover damage to your iPhone, but it will cover lost or stolen iPhones, with the $199 deductible.

Which one is better depends upon your perceived risk.  If you think you are more likely to have your iPhone lost or stolen the AT&T coverage might be better for you.  If you think you are more likely to damage your iPhone, then the AppleCare+ might be a better choice.  If you are like a friend of mine who had his AT&T iPhone 5 stolen wihtin 3 weeks of buying it, then the AT&T coverage might be better for you.  If you are more like my wife who dropped her iPhone 4 in a toilet (clean water luckily) at about 18 months into her contract, then the AppleCare+ is probably the better choice for you.  Just remember that the AT&T coverage is a monthly premium, so it is going to cost you about $250 over the life of a 2 year contract, and then you will still need to pay the $199 deductible. so it will really cost you closer to $449 to replace an iPhone near the end of the contract, whereas with Apple, it is a set price of closer to $178 (or almost 1/3 the cost) but since tehy cover differnt things, it's comparing Apples to Oranges...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 16 (12,442 Views)
ACE - Guru

If I may add my 2 cents, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. If you two claims with Asurion within the same year, Asurion will cancel the coverage for your phone. It happened to me when I had a Blackberry on "another" carrier, one I broke it, and the second it got soaked wet. Later got letter or email from Asurion that I made 2 claims in one year, so they cancelling coverage.Smiley Indifferent

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 16 (12,411 Views)
Expert

MR_SMiT wrote:

If I may add my 2 cents, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. If you two claims with Asurion within the same year, Asurion will cancel the coverage for your phone. It happened to me when I had a Blackberry on "another" carrier, one I broke it, and the second it got soaked wet. Later got letter or email from Asurion that I made 2 claims in one year, so they cancelling coverage.Smiley Indifferent

have had friends that had this happen, they where not canceled just told they could not make a 3rd claim.

Message 6 of 16 (12,368 Views)
ACE - Master

GeekBoy wrote:

The AT&T coverage is insurance, and you can continue it as long as you are willing to pay the monthly premiums.  As someone else said, it won't cover damage to your iPhone, but it will cover lost or stolen iPhones, with the $199 deductible.

Are you sure about that? I thought the insurance also covered damage. It wouldn't be much of an insurance policy if it only covered lost or stolen phones.

Message 7 of 16 (12,355 Views)
ACE - Master

sandblaster wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

Are you sure about that? I thought the insurance also covered damage. It wouldn't be much of an insurance policy if it only covered lost or stolen phones.

I'm not sure, but that's what it read when I last looked into the details years ago.  I also recall a former co-worker who claimed that he had to report his iPhone as lost to get hte insurance coverage even though he had it in his hand, but it was broken due to being dropped.  I have no proof that he had to do that, just his claims that he had done that more than once, and that he was having to do it again on his "new" iPhone 4s at the time.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Message 8 of 16 (12,313 Views)
Community Manager

Just to clarify, AppleCare+ accidental damage deductible was increased to $79 last month.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 16 (12,304 Views)
Expert

GeekBoy wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

I'm not sure, but that's what it read when I last looked into the details years ago.  I also recall a former co-worker who claimed that he had to report his iPhone as lost to get hte insurance coverage even though he had it in his hand, but it was broken due to being dropped.  I have no proof that he had to do that, just his claims that he had done that more than once, and that he was having to do it again on his "new" iPhone 4s at the time.

According to the current link accidental damage is covered

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/services/mobileinsurance-sku1040075.html#fbid=sJ2rudJjc7K

Message 10 of 16 (12,295 Views)
ACE - Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

MR_SMiT wrote:

If I may add my 2 cents, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. If you two claims with Asurion within the same year, Asurion will cancel the coverage for your phone. It happened to me when I had a Blackberry Storm on Verizon, one I broke it, and the second it got soaked wet on a fishing trip. Later got letter or email from Asurion that I made 2 claims in one year, so they cancelling coverage.Smiley Indifferent

have had friends that had this happen, they where not canceled just told they could not make a 3rd claim.

It happen to me 2 or 3 years ago, maybe I read the letter wrong. I did not care too much about too much about it because my phone's web browser was useless, only thing good was email.Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 16 (12,238 Views)
Tutor

Thank you all for your responses.  Looks like AppleCare+ will be the best deal for my needs!  Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 16 (12,159 Views)
Tutor

Sorry, one more question on this!  I ordered the phone from a company store. Should be in within a few days!  I'm confused, will I have to activate it in order for them to set up AppleCare?  If I wait to activate, will I be required to do the AppleCare at an Apple store?  I know that's kind of a crazy question!  Thank again for any insight!!

Message 13 of 16 (12,137 Views)
Master

Att added it for me at a store during my plan change after activating a me iPhone at home. Ask and see if they can do it. If not head to an Apple store.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 14 of 16 (12,132 Views)
ACE - Master

The last I checked (about a year ago) you could only purchase Apple Care+ direct from Apple.  If you did not purchase it with an iPhone, you had to make a Genius Bar appointment to have them check your iPhone (and get the serial number) to purchase it.  You also had to purchase within 14 (or possibly as much as 30) days of purchasing the IPhone in order to be able to purchase Apple Care+.

This may have changed in the last year, but this is how it was when I bought my new iPhone 5 at an AT&T corporate store.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Message 15 of 16 (12,066 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.