Apple's Latest Issue With Samsung?

Scholar

Apple's Latest Issue With Samsung?

Hey everyone.  I just read an article from today about Apple seeking to ban sales in the United States of Samsung phones that are similar in appearance and design to the iPhone.  If Apple does win, which they did with the last one, and the ban is enforced, will that mean that we as consumers will have less choice in what smart phones we have to choose from in the future? 

Message 1 of 17 (2,274 Views)
Expert

Re: Apple's Latest Issue With Samsung?

Wow!! You have to be kidding?? That's just crazy!! 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 2 of 17 (2,242 Views)
Expert

Junior Czar
smooth4lyfe
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
Message 3 of 17 (2,235 Views)
Expert

wilcre wrote:

Junior Czar
smooth4lyfe
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S3

Thanks wilcre, you're such a good son. Smiley Wink

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 4 of 17 (2,231 Views)
Expert

Thanks MOM I do try.
Message 5 of 17 (2,227 Views)
Expert

Smiley Very Happy I know. I wouldn't trade ya for the world. Smiley Wink

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 6 of 17 (2,220 Views)
Master

crkcallie wrote:

Hey everyone.  I just read an article from today about Apple seeking to ban sales in the United States of Samsung phones that are similar in appearance and design to the iPhone.  If Apple does win, which they did with the last one, and the ban is enforced, will that mean that we as consumers will have less choice in what smart phones we have to choose from in the future? 

If you look its just certain models not the whole line and there are other brands so you will still have a choice unless its one of the models mentioned in the ban.

Message 7 of 17 (2,208 Views)
Professor

The problem is that Apple keeps adding models to the proposed ban list, like the Galaxy S III, the Galaxy Note, etc.  Those weren't part of the original lawsuit because they came out after the lawsuit was filed.

Message 8 of 17 (2,187 Views)
Professor

oz_1 wrote:
 If you look its just certain models not the whole line and there are other brands so you will still have a choice unless its one of the models mentioned in the ban.

The fact that Apple has the audacity to do this .. period .. is staggering. The models listed under the proposed ban essentially all but make up Samsung's current line, including their newest flagship (which by the way had nearly 10million global pre-orders before Apple went on the attack....coincidence?). I for one will not have my choices dictated to me by a company that kills innovation by stealing ideas, successfully patenting them, and then suing others for using those same ideas.

Message 9 of 17 (2,141 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

If Apple was guilty of infringement the the court decission would have went the other way and people quickly forget what our choices were before the iPhone now everyone has a smartphone on the shelf.

Message 10 of 17 (2,126 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Regardless of what you believe Apple did to the cell phone/PDA market, you cannot deny that nearly every item that Apple brought up in this lawsuit against Samsung wasn't even theirs to begin with. Swipe to Unlock? Nope. Pinch to Zoom? Nope. Global searches? Nope. Word completion? Nope. For a second, let's set aside our bias and look not only at the facts, but also at Apple's history.

I'm well aware of what my options were before iOS hit the market. I LOVED my WinMo phones, and I LOVED my Palms and Simons that came before. That said, let's imagine for a second that Palm, Simon, HTC, Nokia, Samsung, Kyocera, Motorola, Sony, and every other company out there that were making handsets before Apple decided to get into the game decided to patent everything they could think of. Yeah, everything. Full touchscreen w/o a physical QWERTY? Check. Icon based UI? Check. Voice activation/assistance? Check. Candybar design? Check. Every point brought up in my previous paragraph? Check. What would Apple have been left with then?

As it's been said before a million times over, all this is only undeniable proof of how badly we need patent reform. Apple feels threatened by Google, and instead of focusing on their product they take the fight to the courtroom? Reeeeedonkulous.

Message 11 of 17 (2,078 Views)
Highlighted
Master

[ Edited ]

jii wrote:

Regardless of what you believe Apple did to the cell phone/PDA market, you cannot deny that nearly every item that Apple brought up in this lawsuit against Samsung wasn't even theirs to begin with. Swipe to Unlock? Nope. Pinch to Zoom? Nope. Global searches? Nope. Word completion? Nope. For a second, let's set aside our bias and look not only at the facts, but also at Apple's history.

I'm well aware of what my options were before iOS hit the market. I LOVED my WinMo phones, and I LOVED my Palms and Simons that came before. That said, let's imagine for a second that Palm, Simon, HTC, Nokia, Samsung, Kyocera, Motorola, Sony, and every other company out there that were making handsets before Apple decided to get into the game decided to patent everything they could think of. Yeah, everything. Full touchscreen w/o a physical QWERTY? Check. Icon based UI? Check. Voice activation/assistance? Check. Candybar design? Check. Every point brought up in my previous paragraph? Check. What would Apple have been left with then?

There is a chart I believe Engadget showed last year and on every company in the cell phone business was sueing another no exceptions none are wearing a halo its business.

No need to make religion or politics out of it and Samsung was at the top of the list for having ticked off almost every major consummer electronics giant out there which ironically they all get some part are another from there are no angels in this business.

Message 12 of 17 (2,069 Views)
Master

This is just a chart from 2010 I guess you could say Nokia wanted to stay on top.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/an-explosion-of-mobile-patent-lawsuits/

Message 13 of 17 (2,057 Views)
Expert

It's like how TiVo sues everybody for DVR features they say are theirs, period.  This is a whole new era and the courts are a little behind.

I really see these fights ending up as anti-trust!

Message 14 of 17 (2,037 Views)
Scholar

Apple would be left with a piece of paper with a "very small" screen glued it itSmiley LOL

Spoiler

Message 15 of 17 (985 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.