Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 12, 2013
7:42:35 AM
Apple iOS6 and AT&T data usage overage
It seems that in October 2012 with Apple's new release of iOS 6 there was, or is still a bug. Verizon customers caught it first with data downloads larger than 450MB in some cases, in the middle of the night while the phones owners were fast asleep. AT&T and Apple also admitted that the phones automatically at 2am download data to their servers.

The question is those of us on unlimited plans for years, now being told we are exceeding our data use for the first time, yet usage has not increased according to end users. Other groups are WiFi attached smartphones also being told and charged for substantial over limit charges. Verizon is reversing all charges. Will AT&T?

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technology/iphone-5-data-overage/index.html
It seems that in October 2012 with Apple's new release of iOS 6 there was, or is still a bug. Verizon customers caught it first with data downloads larger than 450MB in some cases, in the middle of the night while the phones owners were fast asleep. AT&T and Apple also admitted that the phones automatically at 2am download data to their servers.

The question is those of us on unlimited plans for years, now being told we are exceeding our data use for the first time, yet usage has not increased according to end users. Other groups are WiFi attached smartphones also being told and charged for substantial over limit charges. Verizon is reversing all charges. Will AT&T?

Apple iOS6 and AT&T data usage overage

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 8:31:49 AM
(0)
Expert

Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:

there was another change with IOS 6 - prior versions kept the WI-FI connected if the phone went into hibernation  now even if it is charing, WI-FI turns off. Have verified this on a number of Iphones, plugged in streaming data, the unique MAC address is present on a network sniffer, with in 2 or 3 seconds after the phoone hibernates the MAC address drops from the netowrk map. So what ever app you are using to stream is not using cellular data and not the local WI-FI.

As far a reimbursment, have not seen anything. Since the report you listed pertaine to verizon only

there was another change with IOS 6 - prior versions kept the WI-FI connected if the phone went into hibernation  now even if it is charing, WI-FI turns off. Have verified this on a number of Iphones, plugged in streaming data, the unique MAC address is present on a network sniffer, with in 2 or 3 seconds after the phoone hibernates the MAC address drops from the netowrk map. So what ever app you are using to stream is not using cellular data and not the local WI-FI.

As far a reimbursment, have not seen anything. Since the report you listed pertaine to verizon only

Re: Apple iOS6 and AT&T data usage overage

2 of 4 (537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 10:08:55 AM
(0)
Teacher
Like PC's that 'wake on magic packet' could third party access apps be knowingly or unknowingly doing a data dump in the middle of the night? I know there's a huge .plist series of files that until I turned off 'send to apple' were sent each day. I can't imagine them being that large unless a random code was actually pulling the associated files as well.

Look online, I've run across a few CDMA/GSM sniffers even if behind multiple DMZ ITK zones.
Like PC's that 'wake on magic packet' could third party access apps be knowingly or unknowingly doing a data dump in the middle of the night? I know there's a huge .plist series of files that until I turned off 'send to apple' were sent each day. I can't imagine them being that large unless a random code was actually pulling the associated files as well.

Look online, I've run across a few CDMA/GSM sniffers even if behind multiple DMZ ITK zones.

3 of 4 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 12:04:49 PM
(0)
Expert

if you want to know what app is pulling or pushing data look into one published by Onavo Mobile LTD in Itunes, make sure to review the terms of service. It will tell you exactly wha tis using data

if you want to know what app is pulling or pushing data look into one published by Onavo Mobile LTD in Itunes, make sure to review the terms of service. It will tell you exactly wha tis using data

4 of 4 (502 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments