Any difference in data service quality (4G/LTE) between AT&T and its MVNOs? (AiO, etc)

Any difference in data service quality (4G/LTE) between AT&T and its MVNOs? (AiO, etc)

I've had AT&T data-only service on our iPads for a while and the LTE coverage is top notch, even deep inside some buildings; I can't speak for their voice service, since all we use it them is for data and instead used Sprint for a while. 

Now that we're out of contract, we bought two unlocked AT&T phones and were looking to either go with AT&T's new value shared plans or with an MVNO like AiO, Straight Talk, etc. 

So to my question: if I experience good data service from AT&T now, can I expect same/similar from one of their MVNOs, obviously at the same locations? Not worry about any roaming issues.

Message 1 of 4 (411 Views)
Professor

Re: Any difference in data service quality (4G/LTE) between AT&T and its MVNOs? (AiO, etc)

I'm not sure about Straight Talks offerings and limitations when it comes to LTE service.  AIO wireless allows LTE service access, but it is capped at 8Mbps.

Message 2 of 4 (388 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Re: Any difference in data service quality (4G/LTE) between AT&T and its MVNOs? (AiO, etc)

You won't get let's say 20mBps down on MVNOs, but you should have service in similar areas. During busy times of the day, ATT customers (as in those individuals who are paying ATT and not an MVNO) will have priority on the network.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4 (307 Views)
Employee

AIO Wireless is a seperate company that falls under the AT&T Family and shares all of AT&T's cell towers.

Other outside MVNO's such as Straight Talk or Net 10 will have similar coverage, but speeds and coverage in certian areas may be different as their roaming agreements are different. You should check wtih the individual MVNO to see what their coverage shows for a particular area.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 4 (269 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.