Any Suggestions - Iphone 4 Stuck in Recovery Mode

Teacher

Any Suggestions - Iphone 4 Stuck in Recovery Mode

After all the waiting, the refusal to deliver based on an address without a business name, and the trip to the fedex center - I entered the activation information online, plugged the phone into itunes, and now my phone is a brick with a black screen that won't respond to anything.  Itunes tells me I need to restore the phone, but when I attempt to restore I get error code 1601.  Apparently this means that I must uninstall every file on my computer that includes the term apple, itunes, ipod, quicktime, etc - which I attempted to do, but I've reinstalled itunes and I'm still in the same boat.  At this point, I honestly couldn't care less whether I have this piece of crap phone or not, but since my 3G no longer functions, it would be nice to have something that works.

If you kids have any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 22 (17,452 Views)
Master

Re: Any Suggestions - Iphone 4 Stuck in Recovery Mode

Have you tried a different USB port (preferably one on the rear of your computer) or via a power USB hub, or possibly a different computer?

You are using the new iTunes 9.2 right?  It won't work with the older iTunes.

Message 2 of 22 (17,447 Views)
Teacher

I've tried everything except a different computer.  I do have the new itunes - I've actually uninstalled and reinstalled today.

Message 3 of 22 (17,411 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

ive got a sledghammer you can borrow.....not to use on your iphone, i suggest you use it to slap the nimrods that put out such buggy versions of software...IOS4 and ITUNES 9.2....

welcome to the pre alpha test

Message 4 of 22 (17,391 Views)
Scholar

have you tried holding the home and power button down for 10-15secs with it still connected to the computer. it sounds like your stuck in dfu mode. if you kick out of it you may not need a restore, and if you do then you can do it from the screen that shows the usb cable which should appear

Message 5 of 22 (17,365 Views)
Teacher

Ended up going to the local apple store.  They said I needed a replacement, and here's the best part.  The replacement is a refurb.  I'm not sure what that means since they just came out, but that's deal.  So now I've spent 4 hours online trying to order, several days waiting out the strange webpage updates, and then I got to wait in line at the apple store so that they could replace my brand new iphone 4 with a refurbished one.  It's been a great experience.  I honestly, can't understand how so many people are unhappy with Apple and AT&T.

Message 6 of 22 (17,336 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

I guess people don't understand that in effect iPhones are like many computers, and like with any technological items there can be issues with software or hardware. It sucks you got one of those. Out of 600,000 handed out there will a few lemons. I'd be mad if I were you as well, but these things happen. 

As for the refurb, maybe you got the one the Apple tech left in the bar.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 22 (17,328 Views)
Teacher

I guess by "people" you mean me.  So let me clarify. I completely understand that defects occur, although I doubt I had the only defective unit out of 600K.  But my point was a larger one, and your veiled condescension is unnecessary.  This has been a frustrating experience, and I'm glad you were able to step out of your fanboydom long enough to admit that you would have been annoyed as well.  My larger point was that I received a refurbed phone as a replacement for a brand new phone that never worked.  Hopefully, this is just a brand new phone and they have to call it a refurb based on their return policy.  But the fact that I can't get a new phone to replace the broken phone I received it ridiculous.  This phone looks good, I don't see any cosmetic wear and tear, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been used and recharged extensively.  And because the batteries and are not easily replaced, that's a concern for me.  But hey, keep carrying Apple's water - no reason to quit now, sounds like you've had a lot of practice.

Message 8 of 22 (17,301 Views)
Scholar

you are still going to have the same warranty and can purchase apple care. Sometimes a refurbish phone isn't all that bad. Sometimes a refurbish phone is a new phone. (the apple employees have no way of knowing if that phone is new or used) That is what I got with my iphone 3gs when I replaced it last month. 

I do agree thou, if you bought a new phone and it didn't work. I would want it to be replaced with a new phone on principal alone. IT doesn't matter if the refurbished phone works forever or crashes next week. 

Either way, you have a working iphone 4 now. Which is nice Smiley Happy 

Message 9 of 22 (17,290 Views)
Mentor

I had the same exact problem man. Came home, phone worked great for 2 hours, went to update it to iOS 4.0.1, got 3/4 of the way thru and bricked. Went to the apple store, they tried to fix it, nothing worked. Went to at&t and luckily some guy cancelled, so I'm going to get a new phone tomorrow.

Message 10 of 22 (16,616 Views)
Contributor

I'm in this exact same boat at this very moment.  I just picked up my iphone4 today at the Apple Store.  It worked at the store.  When I got home 1/2 hour later it was dead.  I've done all the above mentioned attempts at fixing the problem. The phone is dead.   

What makes it so bad is that I was forced to upgrade because OS4 pretty much rendered my 3g iphone useless.  

Message 11 of 22 (7,442 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is an update load iTunes rest the ipod home and power button held keep holding it,it will flash the go black keep holding until the apple comes back and just release the power button keep the home button held until itunes say's it has detected it in recovery mode now you can restore.

You can read this article about {commercial link removed}
Hope it helps.

Message 12 of 22 (5,710 Views)
Master

I hope the poster fixed this as this thread is from 2010.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 13 of 22 (5,666 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

If your iPhone is stuck in recovery mode then, it is clear that you need to fix this issues so, immediately save all iPhone stuffs from being lost when iPhone is stuck in recovery mode so, connect your iPhone with iTunes if it will fails then, in this situation you need to use iPhone data recovery software for recovery of lost or deleted files from iPhone effectively.

More Info :{Inappropriate content removed}

Message 14 of 22 (4,720 Views)
Tutor

I think you can find the solution from this article: how to enter iPhone DFU mode

Message 15 of 22 (2,962 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.