Another early upgrade question

Contributor

Another early upgrade question

Sorry for starting another one of these threads, but I hunted everywhere and couldn't find what I'm looking for. I'm probably just blind or dumb.

I'm on a family plan that is in my mom's name. My phone isn't currently available for an upgrade, and won't be for another 10 months or so. I'm currently using a non-data phone, whatever the free offering for a text+talk phone without data options was roughly 14 months ago. 

Now my understanding is that if I wanted to upgrade early from a smartphone to a smartphone, the cost would be $250 early upgrade fee + $36 upgrade fee + $subsidized cost of the new phone, which in my case would be roughly $486 as I'm wanting the HTC one. 

Does the $250 early upgrade fee still apply if I currently use a "dumb" phone? If it does, why wouldn't I cancel my contract with ATT, which would cost ($150 - ($4 * 14mo.)) + $200 (the cost of the phone on a new contract with another carrier) for a total of less than $300? Even if I had to pay the next month's subscription costs for the line, it would still come out to less than $400. However, I'm not sure how that works on a family plan, so I could be totally wrong.

If someone could clarify, that would be excellent. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 2
ACE - Professor

Re: Another early upgrade question

Hmm your calculations don't seem to be wrong, but remember, the taxes must also be added.

The $36 upgrade fee will not be charged when you buy the HTC One, it would be applied to your next bill. However you are correct that the $250 would be added to the subsidized price of the HTC One. So instead of $486, it would be more like $450

As far as canceling you contract and signings a new one, the issue here is that you would forfeit your current number. In addition to this, you would not be considered a new customer for about 4- 6 months.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support