Another early upgrade question

Contributor

Another early upgrade question

Sorry for starting another one of these threads, but I hunted everywhere and couldn't find what I'm looking for. I'm probably just blind or dumb.

I'm on a family plan that is in my mom's name. My phone isn't currently available for an upgrade, and won't be for another 10 months or so. I'm currently using a non-data phone, whatever the free offering for a text+talk phone without data options was roughly 14 months ago. 

Now my understanding is that if I wanted to upgrade early from a smartphone to a smartphone, the cost would be $250 early upgrade fee + $36 upgrade fee + $subsidized cost of the new phone, which in my case would be roughly $486 as I'm wanting the HTC one. 

Does the $250 early upgrade fee still apply if I currently use a "dumb" phone? If it does, why wouldn't I cancel my contract with ATT, which would cost ($150 - ($4 * 14mo.)) + $200 (the cost of the phone on a new contract with another carrier) for a total of less than $300? Even if I had to pay the next month's subscription costs for the line, it would still come out to less than $400. However, I'm not sure how that works on a family plan, so I could be totally wrong.

If someone could clarify, that would be excellent. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 2 (407 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Another early upgrade question

Hmm your calculations don't seem to be wrong, but remember, the taxes must also be added.

The $36 upgrade fee will not be charged when you buy the HTC One, it would be applied to your next bill. However you are correct that the $250 would be added to the subsidized price of the HTC One. So instead of $486, it would be more like $450

As far as canceling you contract and signings a new one, the issue here is that you would forfeit your current number. In addition to this, you would not be considered a new customer for about 4- 6 months.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 2 (375 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support