Ask a question

Posted Jun 17, 2013
8:38:44 PM
View profile
All in Pricing like Tmobile
Edited by dagootee on Jun 17, 2013 at 9:00:30 PM

Hi iphone AT&T users.  Has anyone heard if AT&T is considering an all in price that would included unlimited data etc.  I have been with AT&T for as long as I remember.  Recently I have had about 5 opr 6 friends that have left AT&T for TMobile.  They pay $50 a month unlimited data/calls.  They did get a new phone and pay a little extra each month for the phone.  However after a couple years they will be at $50 a month,  I have had conversations with a few other friends considering the same thing.

My daughter and fiancee just swithed to Tmobile on that same $50 a month plan.  The rest of my family (4 more people) constantly have to pay more each month as we go over our data limit without trying to hard.  This alone starts to add up more than the little extra a month for the phone through Tmobile.  Coincedentally Tmobile coverage is better than AT&T by our house.

I am serioulsy considering a switch.  I am tired of the nickel and diming.  Am I missing something?

All in Pricing like Tmobile

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2013 10:20:31 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Jun 17, 2013 at 10:23:04 PM

dagootee wrote:

Hi iphone AT&T users.  Has anyone heard if AT&T is considering an all in price that would included unlimited data etc.  I have been with AT&T for as long as I remember.  Recently I have had about 5 opr 6 friends that have left AT&T for TMobile.  They pay $50 a month unlimited data/calls.  They did get a new phone and pay a little extra each month for the phone.  However after a couple years they will be at $50 a month,  I have had conversations with a few other friends considering the same thing.

My daughter and fiancee just swithed to Tmobile on that same $50 a month plan.  The rest of my family (4 more people) constantly have to pay more each month as we go over our data limit without trying to hard.  This alone starts to add up more than the little extra a month for the phone through Tmobile.  Coincedentally Tmobile coverage is better than AT&T by our house.

I am serioulsy considering a switch.  I am tired of the nickel and diming.  Am I missing something?

Where did you find that? Smiley Wink

It's actually $30 a month for Pay In Advance customers if you can live with 100 minutes of talk.

Re: All in Pricing like Tmobile

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (1,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2013 2:33:55 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by dagootee on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:37:06 AM

Now that you mention it, the $50 a month consists of the $30 that you mentioned plus $20 to pay for the phone.  No one ever mentioned that it is a pay in advance and only for 100 minutes.  I am going to check to see if that is indeed the plan they have.  Thanks for the info.

[ Edited ]
3 of 9 (1,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 10:36:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jun 20, 2013 at 10:47:21 AM

Its incredibly unlikely that AT&T will offer unlimited data plans anytime in the near (or distant) future.  The amount of data being used by modern smartphones is growing by leaps and bounds, as more and more customers use data hungry apps, stream music and video, store data on the cloud, etc.  It costs the carriers a huge amount of money to keep up with data network demand.  And many experts are saying that demand is going to outpace supply in the very near future, unless the carriers start dumping a lot more money into their network infrastructure.  This all means growing costs for the carriers, and they aren't going to just give away bandwidth for "free" (which they essentially are, if they offer unlimited plans).  The trend for some time now on AT&T has beem tiered pricing; with the option of new unlimited data plans having been eliminated years ago (although there is an ever diminishing number of "grandfathered" data plan owners still hanging onto them).  That way, as smartphones use more and more data (which they will), AT&T just gets to charge you more.

Unlimited talk and text, sure (AT&T already offers both), but not unlimited data.  The number of voice minutes being used by the average customer is actually going down (with the growing use of texting, internet calling, etc.).  And SMS is actually free to the carriers, since SMS just piggybacks on the existing heartbeat signal that is required between the phone and cell tower (it doesn't use any additional bandwidth).

The only reason T-Mob and Sprint are offering unlimited data plans, is that those companies are bleeding customers and bleeding money; losing ground rapidly to AT&T and Verizon.  T-Mob and Sprint are sacrificing long term profit potential in order to get what customers they can, just to stay alive.  They are really just circling the drain, and their best bet is to be merged with or bought out by another company (Japanese telecom Softbank is currently in merger negotiations with both).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (1,089 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 6:56:40 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Jun 25, 2013 at 8:27:33 PM

redpoint73 wrote:

Its incredibly unlikely that AT&T will offer unlimited data plans anytime in the near (or distant) future.  The amount of data being used by modern smartphones is growing by leaps and bounds, as more and more customers use data hungry apps, stream music and video, store data on the cloud, etc.  It costs the carriers a huge amount of money to keep up with data network demand.  And many experts are saying that demand is going to outpace supply in the very near future, unless the carriers start dumping a lot more money into their network infrastructure.  This all means growing costs for the carriers, and they aren't going to just give away bandwidth for "free" (which they essentially are, if they offer unlimited plans).  The trend for some time now on AT&T has beem tiered pricing; with the option of new unlimited data plans having been eliminated years ago (although there is an ever diminishing number of "grandfathered" data plan owners still hanging onto them).  That way, as smartphones use more and more data (which they will), AT&T just gets to charge you more.

Unlimited talk and text, sure (AT&T already offers both), but not unlimited data.  The number of voice minutes being used by the average customer is actually going down (with the growing use of texting, internet calling, etc.).  And SMS is actually free to the carriers, since SMS just piggybacks on the existing heartbeat signal that is required between the phone and cell tower (it doesn't use any additional bandwidth).

The only reason T-Mob and Sprint are offering unlimited data plans, is that those companies are bleeding customers and bleeding money; losing ground rapidly to AT&T and Verizon.  T-Mob and Sprint are sacrificing long term profit potential in order to get what customers they can, just to stay alive.  They are really just circling the drain, and their best bet is to be merged with or bought out by another company (Japanese telecom Softbank is currently in merger negotiations with both).

I don't know where you got the information. AT&T lost 59,000 prepaid customers in the first quarter compared to the same quarter last year. But AT&T saw a market for phones that they can target to value focused customers. So they founded a new subsidiary, Aiowireless, in Florida and Texas earlier in June.

Why prepaid customers left AT&T, I have no idea but I suspect it has something to do with the phase out of the data plans for prepaid GoPhone customers on $0.10/minute and $2/day last summer.

To substantiate, here the link to the new startup http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/att-planning-june-launch-all-one-prepaid-brand/2013-05-02

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2013 7:44:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jun 26, 2013 at 7:50:26 AM

ilikewireless wrote:

I don't know where you got the information. AT&T lost 59,000 prepaid customers in the first quarter compared to the same quarter last year. 

Lost some prepaid, but added just under 300,000 postpaid customers in Q1.  Postpaid is where the money is.  AT&T might be experimenting around with prepaid options in a couple select markets.  But its emphasis has always been on postpaid customers, and that likely won't change anytime soon.  Verizon looks to be the 600-lb. gorilla in the market lately, adding 677,000 postpaid customers in Q1.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57581063-94/verizon-outguns-at-t-in-q1-smartphones/

T-Mob and Sprint are circling the drain.  They have both been in trouble for a long time.  I don't say that lightly, as a close friend of mine works at T-Mob corporate, and has been looking for a new job for a while now.  He survived the last wave of layoff, but he knows his job is not long for this world.  The best hope for T-Mob and Sprint is to be bought out, which is why Japanese telcom Softbank is in merger negotiations with both.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 11:40:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
Agreed... Sprint and TMO are bleeding customers and they will do anything to recoup that loss. Their networks are already overtaxed and were both late to the LTE party. It will only get worse for those carriers' users as more join and their network slows... Then like Verizon and AT&T the unlimited plans will be phased out again.

I wouldn't be surprised if VZW & ATT brought back unlimited once they complete LTE rollout and they start battling with the comcasts of the world that provide cable modem access..

7 of 9 (792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 6:08:05 AM
(0)
Expert

BBQ10 wrote:
Agreed... Sprint and TMO are bleeding customers and they will do anything to recoup that loss. Their networks are already overtaxed and were both late to the LTE party. It will only get worse for those carriers' users as more join and their network slows... Then like Verizon and AT&T the unlimited plans will be phased out again.

I wouldn't be surprised if VZW & ATT brought back unlimited once they complete LTE rollout and they start battling with the comcasts of the world that provide cable modem access..

Would be surprised if they DO bring it back, unlimited data is being used by the small cellular companies as a draw to try and get market share. even the broad band providers for home service are placing hard caps on data usage, plus they are enforcing them. Verizon has alread made the move to force grandfathered unlimited users off the plans - if you want to keep unlimited data you pay full retail for your upgrade, if you want subsidized you go to the shared plan.

8 of 9 (783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2013 6:26:38 PM
(0)
Scholar
The plan for T-Mobile is 50 for unlimited everything but only 500 mob data at full speed then throttled. Its an extra 20 for unlimited high speed data. I typically use about 2 GB a month so I was looking at the family plan that is 50 for the first line 30 for the second and then 10 a line for 2 GB extra full speed. 100 a month total and each line gets 2.5 GB full speed data. Beats the heck out of the 160 I am paying with at&t. Even if we get the two best smartphones they have it will still only be 140. My discount through my work takes care of the taxes so I will be saving a minimum of 20 a month and if I just keep my s3 and my wife gets the nokia 510 that would equal 105 a month so I will save 55

9 of 9 (738 Views)