Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 12, 2013
3:36:09 PM
Aio coverage vs AT&T wireless

The new Aio service obviously uses the AT&T network, and from what I can see on their coverage map it pretty much matches the regular AT&T coverage. What is not obvious is if it works in areas not directly covered by AT&T's towers. On my current plan, I roam for free (at least in the U.S.) and can usually get coverage even in some really rural areas.

So is this true for Aio?

(As a contrast, my wife uses an AT&T GoPhone and her phone will only talk to an AT&T tower, which makes it useless in some remoter areas where we've been).

The new Aio service obviously uses the AT&T network, and from what I can see on their coverage map it pretty much matches the regular AT&T coverage. What is not obvious is if it works in areas not directly covered by AT&T's towers. On my current plan, I roam for free (at least in the U.S.) and can usually get coverage even in some really rural areas.

So is this true for Aio?

(As a contrast, my wife uses an AT&T GoPhone and her phone will only talk to an AT&T tower, which makes it useless in some remoter areas where we've been).

Aio coverage vs AT&T wireless

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 9:07:43 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hi rochrunner,

Here is a quote from Aio's wireless service agreement:

"AVAILABILITY OF SERVICE AND COVERAGE
Services may be interrupted, delayed, or otherwise limited for a variety of reasons, including environmental conditions, unavailability of radio frequency channels, system capacity and constraints, priority access by National Security and Emergency Preparedness personnel in the event of a disaster or emergency, coordination with other systems, equipment modifications and repairs, and problems with the facilities of interconnecting carriers. We do not guarantee the availability of the wireless network or any Wireless Services. You will not have access to our network outside of our coverage areas. Coverage maps, available on our website or in store, show a high-level approximation of wireless coverage and there are gaps in coverage not shown by this approximation; actual coverage may vary and be affected by terrain, weather, foliage, buildings, signal strength, high-usage periods, customer equipment and other factors. We do not guarantee coverage and our maps do not show actual network performance."

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hi rochrunner,

Here is a quote from Aio's wireless service agreement:

"AVAILABILITY OF SERVICE AND COVERAGE
Services may be interrupted, delayed, or otherwise limited for a variety of reasons, including environmental conditions, unavailability of radio frequency channels, system capacity and constraints, priority access by National Security and Emergency Preparedness personnel in the event of a disaster or emergency, coordination with other systems, equipment modifications and repairs, and problems with the facilities of interconnecting carriers. We do not guarantee the availability of the wireless network or any Wireless Services. You will not have access to our network outside of our coverage areas. Coverage maps, available on our website or in store, show a high-level approximation of wireless coverage and there are gaps in coverage not shown by this approximation; actual coverage may vary and be affected by terrain, weather, foliage, buildings, signal strength, high-usage periods, customer equipment and other factors. We do not guarantee coverage and our maps do not show actual network performance."

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Aio coverage vs AT&T wireless

2 of 6 (8,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 10:12:48 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by rochrunner on Sep 16, 2013 at 10:13:48 AM

That verbiage just seems like typical lawyerese not guaranteeing anything. For one thing, "our coverage area" is not clearly defined. I guess what I was looking for is the answer to one simple question: Would I have the same coverage with Aio as I currently have with standard AT&T Wireless?

I'll probably have to wait for Aio to be available at retail in my area to finally settle this. In any case, my current AT&T contract is not up until February, so I have time to research this.

That verbiage just seems like typical lawyerese not guaranteeing anything. For one thing, "our coverage area" is not clearly defined. I guess what I was looking for is the answer to one simple question: Would I have the same coverage with Aio as I currently have with standard AT&T Wireless?

I'll probably have to wait for Aio to be available at retail in my area to finally settle this. In any case, my current AT&T contract is not up until February, so I have time to research this.

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (8,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 11:27:46 AM
(0)
Community Manager

There is no roaming with Aio Wireless, it will only work on AT&T's own network.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

There is no roaming with Aio Wireless, it will only work on AT&T's own network.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (8,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 1:49:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

I agree with rochrunner, it's a simple yes or no question.  Is it a prerequisit to speak legalees to work for at&t.  My first question woudl be the same.  IS THE COVERAGE WITH AIO THE SAME AS AT&T????????    it is unfortunatly true at&t has the best coverage especially in very remote areas, just barly beating out Verison. 

So can someone answer this question in plain English?

I agree with rochrunner, it's a simple yes or no question.  Is it a prerequisit to speak legalees to work for at&t.  My first question woudl be the same.  IS THE COVERAGE WITH AIO THE SAME AS AT&T????????    it is unfortunatly true at&t has the best coverage especially in very remote areas, just barly beating out Verison. 

So can someone answer this question in plain English?

5 of 6 (4,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 6:01:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

He seemed pretty clear to me...AIO only works on ATT network. 

Clear English-AIO only works on ATT network, so no roaming.

So to answer your question,  AIO is NOT the same coverage as ATT.

Look at Nebraska for example- ATT map shows roaming, AIO shows no coverage. .

He seemed pretty clear to me...AIO only works on ATT network. 

Clear English-AIO only works on ATT network, so no roaming.

So to answer your question,  AIO is NOT the same coverage as ATT.

Look at Nebraska for example- ATT map shows roaming, AIO shows no coverage. .

6 of 6 (4,787 Views)