Again ..FALSE ADVERTISEMENT by AT&T !!!!

Mentor

Again ..FALSE ADVERTISEMENT by AT&T !!!!

As everyone knows, AT&T has introduced this new program called AT&T Next .. but, existing customers beware .. if you're still in contract and NOT eligible for an upgrade, you are automatically NOT ACCEPTED into this new program. This is not mentioned anywhere on there website or in the FAQ's.

I have been with AT&T since 1994 and I even still have my original Motorola MicroCell .. went through Cellular One to AT&T to Cingular back to AT&T .. 19 YEARS LOYAL. I'm part of there new Mobile Share plan in which I have 1 tablet on my account (plus 5 phones) and its the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 .. I wanted to get the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 @ $25.00 per month for the next 20 months .. thats $500.00 .. the OUT OF CONTRACT price for this item is $499.00 !! But they wont budge on this unless I add another line to my account !! and because the line that my existing tablet is using is NOT eligible for an upgrade at this time, they will not honor the purchase for an item OUT OF CONTRACT !!! and my existing tablet, was not even purchased from AT&T.

This to me is FALSE ADVERTISING since NOTHING is mentioned anywhere in regards to these new stipulations.

Message 1 of 13 (1,381 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Again ..FALSE ADVERTISEMENT by AT&T !!!!

I found this on AT&T's website (underline is mine):

Who is eligible for AT&T Next?
Any new AT&T customer with qualifying credit, or any existing AT&T customer who is standard upgrade eligible and account is in good standing.

Found at:  http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/next.html?WT.srch=1&wtPaidSearchTerm=at%26t+next#fbid=s-Smktvnt6w

under FAQ

Message 2 of 13 (1,313 Views)
Professor

LordGeek wrote:

As everyone knows, AT&T has introduced this new program called AT&T Next .. but, existing customers beware .. if you're still in contract and NOT eligible for an upgrade, you are automatically NOT ACCEPTED into this new program. This is not mentioned anywhere on there website or in the FAQ's.

I have been with AT&T since 1994 and I even still have my original Motorola MicroCell .. went through Cellular One to AT&T to Cingular back to AT&T .. 19 YEARS LOYAL. I'm part of there new Mobile Share plan in which I have 1 tablet on my account (plus 5 phones) and its the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 .. I wanted to get the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 @ $25.00 per month for the next 20 months .. thats $500.00 .. the OUT OF CONTRACT price for this item is $499.00 !! But they wont budge on this unless I add another line to my account !! and because the line that my existing tablet is using is NOT eligible for an upgrade at this time, they will not honor the purchase for an item OUT OF CONTRACT !!! and my existing tablet, was not even purchased from AT&T.

This to me is FALSE ADVERTISING since NOTHING is mentioned anywhere in regards to these new stipulations.

I'm not seeing the same thing that you are claiming. If your read the entire document, you can see that existing customers will be eligible during their normal contract period. Now, to be eligible to upgrade at a discounted price, as at the end of your two year contract, are two different things. You are eligible rather quickly during your contract, but you will have to pay full retail for the device. I found this out when I was checking when the earliest date for me to upgrade would be and it was way before my contract end date. However, the air was let out of my balloon when I say that I could upgrade to a new device at full retail, AND start my contract all over from the date I decide to upgrade at full retail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 3 of 13 (1,111 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Full retail pricing is no-commitment pricing and, by definition, doesn't require a new two-year contract.  I do this all the time and it doesn't extend my contract.

You may be getting an offer for early upgrade pricing, which is the normal upgrade pricing plus $250.  This requires a new two-year contract.

Message 4 of 13 (1,070 Views)
Scholar

ATT Next isn't THAT bad of a deal if you want more than one phone. It's not like T-Mobile's UnCarrier plans (which are not as good as fanboys are saying BTW). Basically it's a payment plan for a new phone. This is excellent if you broke your phone and don't have insurance or have to have to latest phone....

Message 5 of 13 (1,054 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Linkgx1 wrote:

ATT Next isn't THAT bad of a deal if you want more than one phone. It's not like T-Mobile's UnCarrier plans (which are not as good as fanboys are saying BTW). Basically it's a payment plan for a new phone. This is excellent if you broke your phone and don't have insurance or have to have to latest phone....

might want to read the terms for the upgrade a lot closer - there are restrictions to prevent that, if you break it you have nothing to trade in

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/next.html#fbid=fBMgMGXqQo5

Step 1: Choose any one of our latest smartphones or tablets. You only pay taxes up front and there's no down payment or activation fee.
Step 2: A low monthly installment plan is added to your bill.
Step 3: Any time after 12 months, you may trade in your device for a brand new one! Or choose to keep the device and, after 20 months, no more installment payments are required.

forgot to mention, if you don;t have the device to trade in you owe the balance on your current device

Message 6 of 13 (1,052 Views)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

Linkgx1 wrote:

might want to read the terms for the upgrade a lot closer - there are restrictions to prevent that, if you break it you have nothing to trade in

Step 1: Choose any one of our latest smartphones or tablets. You only pay taxes up front and there's no down payment or activation fee.
Step 3: Any time after 12 months, you may trade in your device for a brand new one! Or choose to keep the device and, after 20 months, no more installment payments are required.

forgot to mention, if you don;t have the device to trade in you owe the balance on your current device

Hold up. Maybe I read it wrong. But isn't there an option where you can you can still keep your contract phone, but in 12 months just buy a new one?

If not then nevermind. I thought that there was an option where you can still keep your upgrades, but get a 'Next phone' in addition to your current one after 12 months. 

Message 7 of 13 (1,002 Views)
Professor

No, either you are on a contract with a subsidized device or you are on the Next program without a contract.

Message 8 of 13 (998 Views)
Scholar

21stNow wrote:

No, either you are on a contract with a subsidized device or you are on the Next program without a contract.

The heck. Why would I do that then? I misread an article then comparing T-Mobile Jump! vs this. Meh...

Message 9 of 13 (992 Views)
Expert

Linkgx1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Linkgx1 wrote:

Hold up. Maybe I read it wrong. But isn't there an option where you can you can still keep your contract phone, but in 12 months just buy a new one?

If not then nevermind. I thought that there was an option where you can still keep your upgrades, but get a 'Next phone' in addition to your current one after 12 months. 

the option to retain the phone after 12 mnths is there - you just have to pay off the remaining balance on the phone, then you get to keep it

Message 10 of 13 (954 Views)
Expert

Linkgx1 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

The heck. Why would I do that then? I misread an article then comparing T-Mobile Jump! vs this. Meh...

No difference with t-mobile, you don;t get to keep the phone if you trade up in 6 months unless you pay off the remaining balance,

Message 11 of 13 (953 Views)
Professor

Linkgx1 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

This is why I don't see the value of Next for the customer.  For now, I plan to continue doing what I'm doing, which is take the subsidized device when I can upgrade and buy other devices along the way.

Message 12 of 13 (938 Views)
Scholar

That's smarter. Or just use a no-intrest credit card and buy the phone out right.Then make payments

Message 13 of 13 (911 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.