Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 27, 2014
4:32:23 PM
Activation Question

My in-laws are on my family plan, happily using thier old flip phones for years. They have no interest in texting or data.

What we do is, I pay the whole bill including thier portion. Every time the lines are eligible for upgrade, which they have no interest in, we upgrade to a fancy smartphone, put the SIM back in thier old phone, and sell the fancy phone online. That money pays for thier part of the bills, or at least some of it.

So here we are in with a brand new phone we're going to activate and sell off, but my in-laws are out of town. If we activate now, thier phones will stop working till we stick the new SIM in the old phone.

What would happen if we took out the new SIM's and sold the new phones online, but waited a week or two before calling the activation line? Will the new phone work for the buyer or does some kind of lock prevent it from being used before the activation is done?

TL;DR - If we sell upgraded phone without doing activation, will the phone work for the buyer?

My in-laws are on my family plan, happily using thier old flip phones for years. They have no interest in texting or data.

What we do is, I pay the whole bill including thier portion. Every time the lines are eligible for upgrade, which they have no interest in, we upgrade to a fancy smartphone, put the SIM back in thier old phone, and sell the fancy phone online. That money pays for thier part of the bills, or at least some of it.

So here we are in with a brand new phone we're going to activate and sell off, but my in-laws are out of town. If we activate now, thier phones will stop working till we stick the new SIM in the old phone.

What would happen if we took out the new SIM's and sold the new phones online, but waited a week or two before calling the activation line? Will the new phone work for the buyer or does some kind of lock prevent it from being used before the activation is done?

TL;DR - If we sell upgraded phone without doing activation, will the phone work for the buyer?

Activation Question

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 5:02:52 PM
(0)
Expert

harryspar wrote:

Not sure but one thing is for certain - if you got the phones subsidized then make sure to tell the buyer that they are locked to the ATT network and will not be eligible for unlocking until the 2 year commitment is up and then they can only be unlocked by a current or previous customer of att

harryspar wrote:

Not sure but one thing is for certain - if you got the phones subsidized then make sure to tell the buyer that they are locked to the ATT network and will not be eligible for unlocking until the 2 year commitment is up and then they can only be unlocked by a current or previous customer of att

Re: Activation Question

2 of 4 (377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 5:30:14 PM
(0)
Employee

I don't know if there's any hard rule for that, but I imagine, it's carefully watched .

If you call AT&T, you can request for the pending equipment, activation stuff to be cancelled
, and that'll make sure you're safe.

-Alex

I don't know if there's any hard rule for that, but I imagine, it's carefully watched .

If you call AT&T, you can request for the pending equipment, activation stuff to be cancelled
, and that'll make sure you're safe.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 4 (372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 7:46:35 PM
(0)
Guru
Problem solved.
We dad a cross-upgrade to a line we had at home. Then did the same thing again.
Result: In-laws lines still work and some activated devices for sale.
Problem solved.
We dad a cross-upgrade to a line we had at home. Then did the same thing again.
Result: In-laws lines still work and some activated devices for sale.

4 of 4 (354 Views)