Activating Microcell w/ Comcast home internet

Contributor

Activating Microcell w/ Comcast home internet

We recently moved to a condo that is pre-wired for Comcast home internet service (I believe it is the xFinity service). In trying to set-up our Microcell, we have been unable to activate. We have it connected to the Comcast modem via ethernet. We get three solid green lights and a blinking green light at bottom. 

I did a bit of searching these forums and elsewhere online and don't see anything that specifies that Comcast would be blocking the traffic from an MCell.

Am I doing something wrong? I'd like to avoid having both parties pointing the finger at the other and not get anywhere.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17 (11,276 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Activating Microcell w/ Comcast home internet

Connecting directly to the modem (modem -> MicroCell) is called priority connection and rules out any router issues if you are using a router. It's used mostly for troubleshooting but some folks prefer to be connected that way. Nothing wrong with it. The blinking green 3G light either means the MicroCell is waiting for activation or there is something blocking the connection to the AT&T servers (if its a port, it's usually 4500). I'm assuming you have gone thru the activation process and are awaiting confirmation. The location address of the MicroCell needs to be the same address as the AT&T primary account holder, so if you've recently moved maybe AT&T doesn't have  your new address in their database yet.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 17 (11,241 Views)
Tutor

I'm trying to get the microcell to work with Comcast as well. The activation process has been completed and the address is fine. I've had it hooked up to my router for 24 hours, all the lights on the microcell are solid green but the 3G and well computer but I don't have one hooked up to it. Thinking it was the router I hooked the microcell directly up to the modem for 2 hours and am still just getting the flashing 3G. Is there something with Comcast that is the issue or the modem? The modem is an Ambit.
Message 3 of 17 (11,147 Views)
Tutor

Digging deeper I went to the modem config page and see that fragmentation is enabled but there is no setting to disable this option even when logged in as admin.
Message 4 of 17 (11,141 Views)
Tutor

Sorry for all the posts, but it is working now. I read on some other forums that comcast's network is screwy and the IP address you get defines if your microcell is going to work. So I renewed my IP address until I got one in the 70.xx.xx.xx range and it worked. Weird.
Message 5 of 17 (11,138 Views)
Tutor

<sarcasm>This thing is awesome!</sarcasm> tried to make my first call and it instantly dropped and I'm back to my 3G light blinking.
Message 6 of 17 (11,136 Views)
ACE - Master

Ok. If the 3G light is blinking green, then you don't have connection to AT&Ts servers which is obvious because your phone doesn't work. The IP address is odd. Is your Comcast connection with an all-in-one modem (gateway and router) or do you use a separate router? Either way, you should be getting a useable IP address assigned to the MicroCell via DHCP. It sounds like a configuration issue. I assume that the MicroCell is within 18" of a window with an unobstructed view of the sky and about 2' away from a WiFi source. See the link in my sig for the MicroCell Troubleshooting Guide.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 17 (11,120 Views)
Tutor

The device is sitting on my window sill and is about 4 feel from the router. I have a Western Digital N750 router and ambit u10c018 cable modem. I've tried the priority hook up and plugging the microcell directly to the modem to no avail. The ip theory seemed strange to me too and was proven incorrect when I lost signal after trying my first call and it never coming back.
Message 8 of 17 (11,088 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Ok. All lights are solid green except for the 3G, which is blinking green. Priority should work because that's a straight connection to the Internet. Ask Comcast if they are blocking any of the ports listed in the troubleshooting guide. Unlikely but you never know. IPSec Pass-through has to be enabled (should be default for Comcast) and Block Fragmented Packets has to be disabled (I think, but the correct config is given in the Guide). If your router is placed between the gateway and Microcell, NAT has to be enabled on only one device.

Message 9 of 17 (11,070 Views)
Tutor

In the modem config page it says fragmentation is enabled, but there is no setting to disable it.
Message 10 of 17 (11,061 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Woodister wrote:
In the modem config page it says fragmentation is enabled, but there is no setting to disable it.

Block Fragmented Packets must be disabled. It is a rquirement for the MicroCell and is listed in the Troubleshooting Guide. You'll need to discuss this with Comcast.

Message 11 of 17 (11,054 Views)
ACE - Scholar

Woodister wrote:
I read on some other forums that comcast's network is screwy and the IP address you get defines if your microcell is going to work. So I renewed my IP address until I got one in the 70.xx.xx.xx range and it worked. Weird.

I have Comcast and my Microcell is working as solid as can be for many many months now. I check my IP address and it is 69.XX.XX.XX.

Message 12 of 17 (10,835 Views)
ACE - Master

Hmmm, it seems that some of Comcast's address tables are more reliable than others. Very odd. At least yours is working fine.

Message 13 of 17 (10,824 Views)
Contributor

You created an extremely valuable document!  Thank you for sharing it with the community --  hopefully it will help many of us get our microcells working.

Message 14 of 17 (8,376 Views)
ACE - Master

Thank you. It's a community effort so any new information will be added as it becomes available, and verifiable.

Message 15 of 17 (8,360 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.