Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 31, 2013
10:33:31 AM
View profile
Account was transferred without my authorization

I was on vacation for three weeks and when I got back I could not log into my ATT account.

Come to findout that my incapacitated son wanted to change the caller ID on the phone and went ahead and changed the account over to his name without my authorization by logging into my email. I am shocked that AT&T did not call to verify that it was indeed me doing this.

How do I rectify this situation and put it back to my account? Very upset about this.

I was on vacation for three weeks and when I got back I could not log into my ATT account.

Come to findout that my incapacitated son wanted to change the caller ID on the phone and went ahead and changed the account over to his name without my authorization by logging into my email. I am shocked that AT&T did not call to verify that it was indeed me doing this.

How do I rectify this situation and put it back to my account? Very upset about this.

Account was transferred without my authorization

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 11:10:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
If the person that is making the changes, has all the answers to the security questions, AT&T assumes it is the person that has authorization. They don't have time to call and verify EVERY change that is made, therefore the security questions.
You will need to call AT&T and have them switch everything back.
If all he wanted was to change the caller ID, that can be done through the online account manager, without changing account holders.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
If the person that is making the changes, has all the answers to the security questions, AT&T assumes it is the person that has authorization. They don't have time to call and verify EVERY change that is made, therefore the security questions.
You will need to call AT&T and have them switch everything back.
If all he wanted was to change the caller ID, that can be done through the online account manager, without changing account holders.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Account was transferred without my authorization

2 of 5 (538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 11:19:23 AM
(0)
Professor

jucofi wrote:

Do you mean he changed the entire account, this would require releasing it from your end and a credit check and approval from his end, or do you mean he changed the id and password to access the account online?

jucofi wrote:

Do you mean he changed the entire account, this would require releasing it from your end and a credit check and approval from his end, or do you mean he changed the id and password to access the account online?

3 of 5 (532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 11:30:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

The former. I'd like to have it switched back as he does not have the capacity to be independent, let alone take care of his cell phone bill.

The former. I'd like to have it switched back as he does not have the capacity to be independent, let alone take care of his cell phone bill.

4 of 5 (531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 11:37:15 AM
(0)
Employee

I assume that he just changed all of the personal information, right? At this point, it would be a good idea to make a Passcode for your account.

AT&T has upgraded a lot of their policies, as far as account changes. The PIN validation process in addition to account authentication at the start of the call is in place to protect accounts from identity theft.

Your son must have access to your personal Email, Social Secuirty, Phone number that's associated with your account. And one of the Clarifications, and Confirmation that AT&T uses is sending a validation PIN to the EMAIL Address to make the changes.

My little sister did the same to me, and I've had no issues since I've change to a passcode.. Goodluck!

I assume that he just changed all of the personal information, right? At this point, it would be a good idea to make a Passcode for your account.

AT&T has upgraded a lot of their policies, as far as account changes. The PIN validation process in addition to account authentication at the start of the call is in place to protect accounts from identity theft.

Your son must have access to your personal Email, Social Secuirty, Phone number that's associated with your account. And one of the Clarifications, and Confirmation that AT&T uses is sending a validation PIN to the EMAIL Address to make the changes.

My little sister did the same to me, and I've had no issues since I've change to a passcode.. Goodluck!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 5 (521 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments