Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Apr 7, 2014
10:39:53 AM
View profile
Ability to block text messages overnight

Is there a way to set up parental control over messages coming and going to my teenager's iPhone?  I want to do this overnight so that he gets the sleep he needs.  

Is there a way to set up parental control over messages coming and going to my teenager's iPhone?  I want to do this overnight so that he gets the sleep he needs.  

Ability to block text messages overnight

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 4:22:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by 21stNow on Apr 8, 2014 at 8:16:28 AM

Hopefully, one of the moderators will move this to the Apple forum.  Some phones have a Do Not Disturb feature that could accomplish what you seek to do, but I'm unsure if the iPhone does.

I did find this article that talks about a Do Not Disturb feature on iPhones, but it seems like it only silences the alert.  It doesn't seem to actually block the messages, though. 

There may also be an app that will accomplish this.  Users in the Apple forum will be able to give suggestions on this better than I can.

Hopefully, one of the moderators will move this to the Apple forum.  Some phones have a Do Not Disturb feature that could accomplish what you seek to do, but I'm unsure if the iPhone does.

I did find this article that talks about a Do Not Disturb feature on iPhones, but it seems like it only silences the alert.  It doesn't seem to actually block the messages, though. 

There may also be an app that will accomplish this.  Users in the Apple forum will be able to give suggestions on this better than I can.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Ability to block text messages overnight

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 7:28:05 AM
(0)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

Correct, in IOS 7 the feature was added but it only silences the alert and not the message, I think the 4.99 a month smart limits would be the only choice, besides anything done at the device level can be changes by the user of the device

21stNow wrote:

Correct, in IOS 7 the feature was added but it only silences the alert and not the message, I think the 4.99 a month smart limits would be the only choice, besides anything done at the device level can be changes by the user of the device

3 of 9 (678 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 7:43:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

As wingrider has already mentioned to you, you can use DND to silence the the phone, but that won't stop the phone from receiving or responding to the messages.

Now, since it is an iPhone, and it may be using iMessage and not SMS/Text messages, you may have a way to manually manage this.  Since you can go into your account via the AT&T OLAM (On-Line Account Management) to turn off data for that individual phone.  This would stop the iPhone from using cellular data (not wifi, and not SMS).  Now, if you couple that with some work on your home network to limit the iPhone's use of wifi.  Once again, this wouldn't stop SMS, but it could stop all data (cellular & wifi) thus stopping iMessage, email, etc.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

As wingrider has already mentioned to you, you can use DND to silence the the phone, but that won't stop the phone from receiving or responding to the messages.

Now, since it is an iPhone, and it may be using iMessage and not SMS/Text messages, you may have a way to manually manage this.  Since you can go into your account via the AT&T OLAM (On-Line Account Management) to turn off data for that individual phone.  This would stop the iPhone from using cellular data (not wifi, and not SMS).  Now, if you couple that with some work on your home network to limit the iPhone's use of wifi.  Once again, this wouldn't stop SMS, but it could stop all data (cellular & wifi) thus stopping iMessage, email, etc.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 8:50:58 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Richmond Dan on Apr 8, 2014 at 8:51:54 AM

Uh, take the phone away at bedtime? I think that's considered a parental control.

Uh, take the phone away at bedtime? I think that's considered a parental control.

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 3:44:37 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Apr 9, 2014 at 3:45:16 PM

Smart Limits allows for Time-of-Day restrictions. The problem is that it won't limit wifi, which would allow for email and Imessaging.

There's apps like ParentKit for the iphone, but I've never tried them to see how well they work.

-Alex

Smart Limits allows for Time-of-Day restrictions. The problem is that it won't limit wifi, which would allow for email and Imessaging.

There's apps like ParentKit for the iphone, but I've never tried them to see how well they work.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 12:55:39 AM
(0)
Contributor

I thought of taking the phone away overnight but I work graveyard shift and I wanted to find out if there was a way that I could manage this remotely.  I also wanted to avoid the hassle of negotiating this change in practice since my teenager has been taking his phone to bed with him for years.  

I thought of taking the phone away overnight but I work graveyard shift and I wanted to find out if there was a way that I could manage this remotely.  I also wanted to avoid the hassle of negotiating this change in practice since my teenager has been taking his phone to bed with him for years.  

7 of 9 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 2:06:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

You should definitely talk with your kid about this.

Reasonable limits and then if he/she doesn't follow the rules, just take away the phone for a couple weeks when you leave.

If he/she still won't follow the rules, take away the phone permanently.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]

You should definitely talk with your kid about this.

Reasonable limits and then if he/she doesn't follow the rules, just take away the phone for a couple weeks when you leave.

If he/she still won't follow the rules, take away the phone permanently.

8 of 9 (469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 5:45:10 AM
(0)
Contributor
look for "message blocker" in the app store
look for "message blocker" in the app store

9 of 9 (452 Views)