Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 1, 2014
12:24:17 PM
ATnT new price drop!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/t-cuts-prices-wireless-data-plan-customers-201118916--sector.html

will this new announcement apply to existing customers?

will we ha e to ask for it?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/t-cuts-prices-wireless-data-plan-customers-201118916--sector.html

listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul

ATnT new price drop!

27 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 1:24:37 PM
(0)
Expert

little birdy wrote:

If you qualify would suspect that it would depend on what data plan size you have - they specificlly state 10GB on the new mobile share plans. If you are on the discountinued data plans or a smaller mobile share plan would suspect that you will not see a price decrease. What is your current data plan?

little birdy wrote:

If you qualify would suspect that it would depend on what data plan size you have - they specificlly state 10GB on the new mobile share plans. If you are on the discountinued data plans or a smaller mobile share plan would suspect that you will not see a price decrease. What is your current data plan?

Re: ATnT new price drop!

2 of 28 (1,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 1:47:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

I am already on 10 G.  this would make a big differencecto me.

I am already on 10 G.  this would make a big differencecto me.

listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul

3 of 28 (1,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 2:17:26 PM
(0)
Guru

Maybe I didn't see it. But is the 15 dollars per line price available for line on a  2 year contract?

it says: 

• All existing customers, including those on a 2-year agreements before Feb. 2, 2014, are able to move to these plans

but, i'm wondering if it's still 15 dollars extra per line. 

Maybe I didn't see it. But is the 15 dollars per line price available for line on a  2 year contract?

it says: 

• All existing customers, including those on a 2-year agreements before Feb. 2, 2014, are able to move to these plans

but, i'm wondering if it's still 15 dollars extra per line. 

4 of 28 (1,645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 2:52:46 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by ujmnz on Feb 2, 2014 at 10:00:58 AM

Edit:

Looks like even customers on 2 year contracts will get exact same pricing unless they choose to upgrade with 2 year contract. 

Are FamilyTalk customers who migrate to a Mobile Share Value 10GB or higher plan before 2/2/14 also eligible to receive the $25 Mobile Share Value savings credit discount?

Yes, all Mobile Share Value Plan smartphone lines with an annual service contract effective prior to February 2, 2014 are eligible for the $25 credit. This also includes customers on a two year service agreement.

I'm gonna be saving over $107 a month going forward.

Edit:

Looks like even customers on 2 year contracts will get exact same pricing unless they choose to upgrade with 2 year contract. 

Are FamilyTalk customers who migrate to a Mobile Share Value 10GB or higher plan before 2/2/14 also eligible to receive the $25 Mobile Share Value savings credit discount?

Yes, all Mobile Share Value Plan smartphone lines with an annual service contract effective prior to February 2, 2014 are eligible for the $25 credit. This also includes customers on a two year service agreement.

I'm gonna be saving over $107 a month going forward.

[ Edited ]
5 of 28 (1,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 10:06:12 AM
(0)
Employee

The pricing is available now to view,

I don't see the $35. I think that pricing is only for the original Mobile Share plans, not the new value plans.

(If you want to compare the old and new visit www.myattrpc.com )

Here's the new rates.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#tab1

$15 rates or replacing the $25 rates on MSV for 10gb internet plans and higher; of course  that's only for customers outside of contract or on the Next program.

The pricing is available now to view,

I don't see the $35. I think that pricing is only for the original Mobile Share plans, not the new value plans.

(If you want to compare the old and new visit www.myattrpc.com )

Here's the new rates.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#tab1

$15 rates or replacing the $25 rates on MSV for 10gb internet plans and higher; of course  that's only for customers outside of contract or on the Next program.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 28 (1,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 10:49:56 AM
(0)
Guru
Customers with contracts before Feb 2 also qualify for new rates.
Customers with contracts before Feb 2 also qualify for new rates.

7 of 28 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 3:50:07 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Feb 2, 2014 at 4:05:59 PM

Hey ujmnz,

I'm having trouble seeing that, Can you reference it?

I know that customers under contract can get the Mobile Share Value plan.

I know that many customers who were under contract, were able to get the Next program early.

I know that if they do, they will get the $15 rate for the Mobile Share Value, if they have 10gb.

But I can't seem to find anything that says contract customers get the $15 pricing without making that kind of change.

Edit: Found it, You're right, that just seemed contradictory to what else I found, but that seems like an awesome loyalty special. It seems like the reason for the discrepancy, is that it's not applicable to new customers.

Edit:Edit It's also not applicable to existing customers who start a new contract 02/02/14 forward.

-Alex

Hey ujmnz,

I'm having trouble seeing that, Can you reference it?

I know that customers under contract can get the Mobile Share Value plan.

I know that many customers who were under contract, were able to get the Next program early.

I know that if they do, they will get the $15 rate for the Mobile Share Value, if they have 10gb.

But I can't seem to find anything that says contract customers get the $15 pricing without making that kind of change.

Edit: Found it, You're right, that just seemed contradictory to what else I found, but that seems like an awesome loyalty special. It seems like the reason for the discrepancy, is that it's not applicable to new customers.

Edit:Edit It's also not applicable to existing customers who start a new contract 02/02/14 forward.

-Alex

[ Edited ]
8 of 28 (1,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 4:15:56 PM
(0)
Guru

Yeah. it's a great deal. saving $107 on my bill now Smiley Happy

Yeah. it's a great deal. saving $107 on my bill now Smiley Happy

9 of 28 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 6:17:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm missing the part about "of course that's only for customers outside of contract."  Why?  The legal terms and conditions do not say that - the website does not say that - but the customer (dis)service agents say that.

Why can AT&T disclaim a service offering for me without ever putting it in writing or mentioning it in the ads?

Of course, I have only been with them for 15 years as a wireless and U-Verse customer, so I can understand why they don't feel any need to compete for my loyalty.

Verizon, here I come!!!

I'm missing the part about "of course that's only for customers outside of contract."  Why?  The legal terms and conditions do not say that - the website does not say that - but the customer (dis)service agents say that.

Why can AT&T disclaim a service offering for me without ever putting it in writing or mentioning it in the ads?

Of course, I have only been with them for 15 years as a wireless and U-Verse customer, so I can understand why they don't feel any need to compete for my loyalty.

Verizon, here I come!!!

10 of 28 (1,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 7:41:02 AM
(0)
Expert

whawk3 wrote:

Verizon, here I come!!!

Actually it does state that, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page from this link

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=n3olIffjbxt?tab1

the example does state "

†† Pricing forValue plan w/ 10 GB data ($100/mo.) plus per smartphone pricing ($15/mo.) on no annual service contract or on an installment agmt"

whawk3 wrote:

Verizon, here I come!!!

Actually it does state that, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page from this link

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=n3olIffjbxt?tab1

the example does state "

†† Pricing forValue plan w/ 10 GB data ($100/mo.) plus per smartphone pricing ($15/mo.) on no annual service contract or on an installment agmt"

11 of 28 (1,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 2:59:01 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by parry_hotter on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:14:38 PM

Myself and others in my family are awfully confused about all of this. So we have 5 phones on a family plan, all on 2 year contracts that expire at different times. I can go through the motions to change to a new shared data plan with 10GB and it gives me a total of $175 without taxes/fees, etc. Which is $100 for the plan + $15 per phone.

Now, what none of us understand is what happens when our contracts expire? If we wish to sign a new 2 year contract at the time each phones current contract is up... are we going to be forced to enroll in the "Next" program? How does all of that play into things when ones current contracts are up? I mean, will it still be the $175 as long as we don't need or want to upgrade our phones? And if we do qualify for an upgrade on a phone... can't we just take a deal like a Walmart offering a Galaxy 4S for $xx.xx amount with a 2 year contract, and have the At&T plan still be the $175?

Talking with the rep at the AT&T store today he said that it would actually cost us more to be on the new plan, and that we would HAVE to add the "Next" program. I don't think he knew what he was talking about whatsoever becasue the online price is telling me $175 before pressing the submit order button, and right now we are paying nearly $275.

So yeah. What was this rep going on about? And what actually happens to the pricing of the new plans when a current customer with contracts, has their contracts end and wants another 2 years? Does it just stay at the $175 unless you WANT a new $700 phone and WANT the "Next" program to pay for it?

Myself and others in my family are awfully confused about all of this. So we have 5 phones on a family plan, all on 2 year contracts that expire at different times. I can go through the motions to change to a new shared data plan with 10GB and it gives me a total of $175 without taxes/fees, etc. Which is $100 for the plan + $15 per phone.

Now, what none of us understand is what happens when our contracts expire? If we wish to sign a new 2 year contract at the time each phones current contract is up... are we going to be forced to enroll in the "Next" program? How does all of that play into things when ones current contracts are up? I mean, will it still be the $175 as long as we don't need or want to upgrade our phones? And if we do qualify for an upgrade on a phone... can't we just take a deal like a Walmart offering a Galaxy 4S for $xx.xx amount with a 2 year contract, and have the At&T plan still be the $175?

Talking with the rep at the AT&T store today he said that it would actually cost us more to be on the new plan, and that we would HAVE to add the "Next" program. I don't think he knew what he was talking about whatsoever becasue the online price is telling me $175 before pressing the submit order button, and right now we are paying nearly $275.

So yeah. What was this rep going on about? And what actually happens to the pricing of the new plans when a current customer with contracts, has their contracts end and wants another 2 years? Does it just stay at the $175 unless you WANT a new $700 phone and WANT the "Next" program to pay for it?

[ Edited ]
12 of 28 (1,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 4:56:39 PM
(0)
Guru
If you renew contract, you will pay 40 dollars a month for that line. So to keep 15 dollar pricing per line, you would use next program or buy full price. We all use android phones, so I'll just buy the cheaper nexus phones at full price to keep the plan pricing.
If you renew contract, you will pay 40 dollars a month for that line. So to keep 15 dollar pricing per line, you would use next program or buy full price. We all use android phones, so I'll just buy the cheaper nexus phones at full price to keep the plan pricing.

13 of 28 (1,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 6:52:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Q1: So what you're saying is that in order to keep the $15 per line pricing, you HAVE to purchase a new phone EVERY time you renew your contract? Whether it be through the Next program, or at full price?

Q2: What if you want to renew but don't WANT a new phone? $15 or $40?

Q3: What about when places like Walmart will offer something like the S5 for $50 on Black Friday with a 2 year contract? $15 or $40?

It sounds to me like they want to lure existing customers in on the new deal, then shoot them in the back when it's time to renew. Regardless even at $40 per line with 10GB shared... it's still cheaper with more data/mintes than the $255+ we're paying now with 5 lines (1 is not a smart phone, 2 have 3GB, and 2 have 300MB + 700 shared minutes w/ rollover).

Q1: So what you're saying is that in order to keep the $15 per line pricing, you HAVE to purchase a new phone EVERY time you renew your contract? Whether it be through the Next program, or at full price?

Q3: What about when places like Walmart will offer something like the S5 for $50 on Black Friday with a 2 year contract? $15 or $40?

It sounds to me like they want to lure existing customers in on the new deal, then shoot them in the back when it's time to renew. Regardless even at $40 per line with 10GB shared... it's still cheaper with more data/mintes than the $255+ we're paying now with 5 lines (1 is not a smart phone, 2 have 3GB, and 2 have 300MB + 700 shared minutes w/ rollover).

14 of 28 (1,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 8:06:02 PM
(0)
Guru

Renewing the contract is optional. If you want to pay less for a phone upfront, you can get a contract. Otherwise, you can try the next program or buy phone at full price. 

If you renew contract, it's 40 dollars. 

That would be 40 dollars because you would get a 2 year contract. 

These plans encourage customers to stay off contracts. You're not required to do that though.

Renewing the contract is optional. If you want to pay less for a phone upfront, you can get a contract. Otherwise, you can try the next program or buy phone at full price. 

If you renew contract, it's 40 dollars. 

That would be 40 dollars because you would get a 2 year contract. 

These plans encourage customers to stay off contracts. You're not required to do that though.

15 of 28 (1,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 3:29:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

So these new shared data plans are no contract plans, and you keep the $15 pricing as long as you don't renew any of your contracts? That makes absolutely no logical sense to me whatsoever. Your plan costs less withOUT a contract than it does WITH a contract? You would think they would offer the lower price to KEEP you for two years. This is complete rubbish and like I said, a stab in the back to unsuspecting people who think they are getting a great deal, only to find out they will have to take part in either 1) the Next program to get a new phone, or 2) Sign up again for a contract - thus losing the good deal on these new plans to sacrifice the lower price of a phone. SCAM!

So these new shared data plans are no contract plans, and you keep the $15 pricing as long as you don't renew any of your contracts? That makes absolutely no logical sense to me whatsoever. Your plan costs less withOUT a contract than it does WITH a contract? You would think they would offer the lower price to KEEP you for two years. This is complete rubbish and like I said, a stab in the back to unsuspecting people who think they are getting a great deal, only to find out they will have to take part in either 1) the Next program to get a new phone, or 2) Sign up again for a contract - thus losing the good deal on these new plans to sacrifice the lower price of a phone. SCAM!

16 of 28 (1,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 9:01:06 AM
(0)
Expert

parry_hotter wrote:

there is no contract on the talk/text data, there is however a installment plan on the phone for wither 20 months or 26 months. You can get out of the service at any time by paying off the balance of the device and walking away. In addition you can pay the full retail amount for the device, start the service agreement and cancel with no penalties the next month. People are only unsuspecting if they don;t do the due dilligence and read the terms of service and the rest of the documentation before they sign the service and installment agreement.

Yes it is a good deal for those that require having changing the devices out every time the latest and greatest one come out - on the next plan they can upgrade at 12 months on the 20 month installment agreement by trading in the old device in good condition and fully working

parry_hotter wrote:

there is no contract on the talk/text data, there is however a installment plan on the phone for wither 20 months or 26 months. You can get out of the service at any time by paying off the balance of the device and walking away. In addition you can pay the full retail amount for the device, start the service agreement and cancel with no penalties the next month. People are only unsuspecting if they don;t do the due dilligence and read the terms of service and the rest of the documentation before they sign the service and installment agreement.

Yes it is a good deal for those that require having changing the devices out every time the latest and greatest one come out - on the next plan they can upgrade at 12 months on the 20 month installment agreement by trading in the old device in good condition and fully working

17 of 28 (1,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 2:43:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

parry_hotter wrote:

It's not a scam.  The full details of two-year contracts, the Next program and the service agreements are found online.  Lack of customer understanding does not make it a scam.

When there is a difference between contract pricing and non-contract pricing in the US, the non-contract pricing has been lower.  Prepaid plans follow this same concept.

parry_hotter wrote:

It's not a scam.  The full details of two-year contracts, the Next program and the service agreements are found online.  Lack of customer understanding does not make it a scam.

When there is a difference between contract pricing and non-contract pricing in the US, the non-contract pricing has been lower.  Prepaid plans follow this same concept.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

18 of 28 (1,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 3:07:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
why in the world should it be cheaper to be on contract. you pay 199 for a phone then the rest is included in the price of the 2 years of service.

Look at it this way

40x24=960

15x24=360 thats a savings of 600 over the 2 years

take that 600 and buy a new phone like the moto x from motorola on motorolas site its 329 bucks or a nexus 5 from google for 349. The only company I see getting hurt here is Apple with there over prices last gen crap like the 5s.
why in the world should it be cheaper to be on contract. you pay 199 for a phone then the rest is included in the price of the 2 years of service.

Look at it this way

40x24=960

take that 600 and buy a new phone like the moto x from motorola on motorolas site its 329 bucks or a nexus 5 from google for 349. The only company I see getting hurt here is Apple with there over prices last gen crap like the 5s.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 28 (1,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 3:54:22 PM
(0)
Expert

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

Look at it this way

40x24=960

you missed factoring in the cost of the device 32.75 @ 20 months

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

Look at it this way

40x24=960

you missed factoring in the cost of the device 32.75 @ 20 months

20 of 28 (1,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 4:42:21 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Feb 5, 2014 at 4:54:14 PM

The original idea behind the discount, was the same idea behind the contract.

The 2 year contract is there so AT&T can pay the cost of the of the phones, and once they finish, they will pass on the savings to you.

For customers out of contract, looking to get an iphone 5s, it used be a simple breakdown, so the more you pay upfront, the less you pay on the bill essentially was what it was coming out.

No contract: $650  ($15 base discount)

Contract: $199.99 + $36 + $15/month (loss of the discount)

AT&T Next 18(26 months) :  tax upfront, $25/month

For 10gb, the contract doesnt make anymore sense

No contract: $650 ($25 base discount)

Contract: $199.99 + $36 + $25/month (loss of the discount)

The original idea behind the discount, was the same idea behind the contract.

The 2 year contract is there so AT&T can pay the cost of the of the phones, and once they finish, they will pass on the savings to you.

For customers out of contract, looking to get an iphone 5s, it used be a simple breakdown, so the more you pay upfront, the less you pay on the bill essentially was what it was coming out.

No contract: $650  ($15 base discount)

Contract: $199.99 + $36 + $15/month (loss of the discount)

For 10gb, the contract doesnt make anymore sense

No contract: $650 ($25 base discount)

Contract: $199.99 + $36 + $25/month (loss of the discount)

[ Edited ]
21 of 28 (1,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 10:26:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
How did I miss factoring in a device at 20 months? I'm on this new plan and didn't have to use next. I just know that Jan 2015 my contract ends if I want new phones there full retail. The moto g for 179 is the cheapest off contract phone you can get with a nice screen. That's what the kids will get or my handme downs. Oldest daughter is using my old nexus 4
How did I miss factoring in a device at 20 months? I'm on this new plan and didn't have to use next. I just know that Jan 2015 my contract ends if I want new phones there full retail. The moto g for 179 is the cheapest off contract phone you can get with a nice screen. That's what the kids will get or my handme downs. Oldest daughter is using my old nexus 4

22 of 28 (1,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 12:03:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

I finally bit the bullet and gave up my unlimited data plan for the new Mobile Share Value 10 GB plan--I ran the numbers and it turns out that my pre-FAN cost ($160, not including taxes and other charges) for a 10 GB MSV plan with 4 lines is exactly the same as the pre-FAN cost of my previous Family Share 550 Voice plan for 3 lines with unlimited/2/2 GB data plan, and 1000 text on just one line.  Quite frankly, it was the $15/month per line that was the clincher for me--I definitely would not have switched at the $40/month per line price point (for the 10 GB data plan w/ 2-year commitment), and even if I were to go with the 8 GB MSV plan I'd still be on the losing end of the proposition ($90 + $25 x 4 lines = $190).  10 GB is definitely the sweet spot, at least it is in my case--especially if you need more than 2 lines but not an excessive amount of data (<11 GB, since if you go over 11 GB you'd pay an overage of $30 which would bring your total cost equivalent to that of the 15 GB plan).

I finally bit the bullet and gave up my unlimited data plan for the new Mobile Share Value 10 GB plan--I ran the numbers and it turns out that my pre-FAN cost ($160, not including taxes and other charges) for a 10 GB MSV plan with 4 lines is exactly the same as the pre-FAN cost of my previous Family Share 550 Voice plan for 3 lines with unlimited/2/2 GB data plan, and 1000 text on just one line.  Quite frankly, it was the $15/month per line that was the clincher for me--I definitely would not have switched at the $40/month per line price point (for the 10 GB data plan w/ 2-year commitment), and even if I were to go with the 8 GB MSV plan I'd still be on the losing end of the proposition ($90 + $25 x 4 lines = $190).  10 GB is definitely the sweet spot, at least it is in my case--especially if you need more than 2 lines but not an excessive amount of data (<11 GB, since if you go over 11 GB you'd pay an overage of $30 which would bring your total cost equivalent to that of the 15 GB plan).

23 of 28 (1,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 12:57:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

jane697 wrote:

Depending on what your FAN discount covered on your old plan, it sounds like you could possibly pay more with the new plan since the FAN discount is on the data part only, and not the device fees.

jane697 wrote:

Depending on what your FAN discount covered on your old plan, it sounds like you could possibly pay more with the new plan since the FAN discount is on the data part only, and not the device fees.

24 of 28 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 8:45:07 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by jane697 on Feb 7, 2014 at 9:21:53 AM

21stNow wrote:

jane697 wrote:

Yes I know that (I did do my homework before taking the plunge--LOL), but adding the fourth line for only $15/month, combined with getting unlimited text for all four lines--I was paying $10/month for a 1000-text bundle on just one line with my previous plan--at no additional charge on the new MSV plan...all of that plus the unlimited minutes and tethering option will more than make up for the slight increase on my monthly bill.

Bottom line--I did the math, and the MSV 10 GB plan turned out to be the most cost-effective solution for me in adding a fourth line. :-)  Also--getting the $100 bill new-line promo credit (and yes, I know the $100 credit will not be applied until the line has been active for at least 45 days) and waiver of the $36 activation fee on the just-added line will help lessen the pain of a slightly higher monthly bill as well.

And if you're really interested in the math--under my old plan my post-FAN total (not including taxes/fees) for 3 lines comes out to $127.50; for the MSV 10 GB plan with 4 lines the post-FAN total comes out to $135, so my monthly bill won't be substantially higher.  So yes my bill will go up a bit, but not too high such that I might have second thoughts about whether I should have given up my budget-friendly old plan just to add a fourth line.  Paying an additional $7.50/month (before taxes/fees) on my monthly bill for essentially adding a fourth line that gets me unlimited voice/text for all 4 lines is definitely a bargain, IMHO.

21stNow wrote:

jane697 wrote:

Yes I know that (I did do my homework before taking the plunge--LOL), but adding the fourth line for only $15/month, combined with getting unlimited text for all four lines--I was paying $10/month for a 1000-text bundle on just one line with my previous plan--at no additional charge on the new MSV plan...all of that plus the unlimited minutes and tethering option will more than make up for the slight increase on my monthly bill.

Bottom line--I did the math, and the MSV 10 GB plan turned out to be the most cost-effective solution for me in adding a fourth line. :-)  Also--getting the $100 bill new-line promo credit (and yes, I know the $100 credit will not be applied until the line has been active for at least 45 days) and waiver of the $36 activation fee on the just-added line will help lessen the pain of a slightly higher monthly bill as well.

And if you're really interested in the math--under my old plan my post-FAN total (not including taxes/fees) for 3 lines comes out to $127.50; for the MSV 10 GB plan with 4 lines the post-FAN total comes out to $135, so my monthly bill won't be substantially higher.  So yes my bill will go up a bit, but not too high such that I might have second thoughts about whether I should have given up my budget-friendly old plan just to add a fourth line.  Paying an additional $7.50/month (before taxes/fees) on my monthly bill for essentially adding a fourth line that gets me unlimited voice/text for all 4 lines is definitely a bargain, IMHO.

[ Edited ]
25 of 28 (985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 1:55:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The math worked out in a similar manner for me.  I couldn't justify switching because I would pay roughly the same amount for service, but lose my subsidy on two phone lines.  Yes, I would gain unlimited minutes and text messaging, but I don't need those features anyway.

The math worked out in a similar manner for me.  I couldn't justify switching because I would pay roughly the same amount for service, but lose my subsidy on two phone lines.  Yes, I would gain unlimited minutes and text messaging, but I don't need those features anyway.

26 of 28 (969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 7:06:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

21stNow wrote:

Yeah, I could see how the math would work out better if one doesn't switch--unfortunately, in my case I was on a legacy FamilyTalk Nation 550 plan that only allowed a max of 3 lines...and since now the only postpaid wireless plans AT&T offers are the Mobile Share Value plans (AFAICT) and I needed to add a 4th line, I pretty much had no choice but to give up my legacy plan.

Slightly off-topic, but personally I don't particularly care for the fact that, if on a MSV plan if you plan to upgrade your (smart)phone on any of your existing lines and elect to pay the subsidized phone price rather than either paying the full non-contract price of the phone or go with AT&T Next, you are then required to pay $40/month on the line that received the upgrade rather than the discounted per-line price (in my case $15/month)

21stNow wrote:

Yeah, I could see how the math would work out better if one doesn't switch--unfortunately, in my case I was on a legacy FamilyTalk Nation 550 plan that only allowed a max of 3 lines...and since now the only postpaid wireless plans AT&T offers are the Mobile Share Value plans (AFAICT) and I needed to add a 4th line, I pretty much had no choice but to give up my legacy plan.

Slightly off-topic, but personally I don't particularly care for the fact that, if on a MSV plan if you plan to upgrade your (smart)phone on any of your existing lines and elect to pay the subsidized phone price rather than either paying the full non-contract price of the phone or go with AT&T Next, you are then required to pay $40/month on the line that received the upgrade rather than the discounted per-line price (in my case $15/month)

27 of 28 (868 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 7:51:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Your just paying for the subsity when you go that route thats why its 25 more a month plus the 199 for the phone.  If you figure it out that phone just cost you 799 bucks.  I have no problem paying full retail for a device.  But again I use nexus devices

Your just paying for the subsity when you go that route thats why its 25 more a month plus the 199 for the phone.  If you figure it out that phone just cost you 799 bucks.  I have no problem paying full retail for a device.  But again I use nexus devices

28 of 28 (863 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments