ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

That's the point. I bought a 4GS iPhone to be on AT&T 4G network, and whatever data/voice/text/etc would be transferred on that network. By AT&T speed limiting anything on that network, it's a breach.

If we were to buy cable Internet at speeds up to 15Mps, do we worry about using Netflix, YouTube or other services? No. However, if I bought 15Mps with 50Gb usage, then they would be correct to limit or charge accordingly. If I still had unlimited data on the 3G network, it would be slower, and I would know if I wanted faster data, upgrade to 4G. But on EITHER network I still want unlimited data that I payed for, AT the network speeds I also payed for.
Message 31 of 55 (3,192 Views)
Expert

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:
That's the point. I bought a 4GS iPhone to be on AT&T 4G network, and whatever data/voice/text/etc would be transferred on that network. By AT&T speed limiting anything on that network, it's a breach.

If we were to buy cable Internet at speeds up to 15Mps, do we worry about using Netflix, YouTube or other services? No. However, if I bought 15Mps with 50Gb usage, then they would be correct to limit or charge accordingly. If I still had unlimited data on the 3G network, it would be slower, and I would know if I wanted faster data, upgrade to 4G. But on EITHER network I still want unlimited data that I payed for, AT the network speeds I also payed for.

you had better - broadband companies are capping data usage also, cable company here caps  to the point that if you exceed your cap 4 months in a row that can terminate your service with no chance of re-connect. You paid for unlimited data, nowhere is is stated unlimited speed, unless you can find it otherwise documented in the policies.

 

you have a choice, let the carrier control use by staying with the discontinued unlimited, or take it on yourself by switching to a tiered or shared plan and control you own use.

Message 32 of 55 (3,191 Views)
Scholar

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:
That's the point. I bought a 4GS iPhone to be on AT&T 4G network, and whatever data/voice/text/etc would be transferred on that network. By AT&T speed limiting anything on that network, it's a breach.

If we were to buy cable Internet at speeds up to 15Mps, do we worry about using Netflix, YouTube or other services? No. However, if I bought 15Mps with 50Gb usage, then they would be correct to limit or charge accordingly. If I still had unlimited data on the 3G network, it would be slower, and I would know if I wanted faster data, upgrade to 4G. But on EITHER network I still want unlimited data that I payed for, AT the network speeds I also payed for.

Re: your cable internet analogy--the key words that you yourself offered are "up to"; do you know of any cable ISP that guarantees you will get no lower than some fixed speed, 24x7?  Example--if you pay for 15 Mbps from your cable company, does the company guarantee that you'll see speeds no lower than 15 Mbps?

 

As far as your argument/complaint about AT&T speed throttling--exactly what network speeds did you pay for? 1 Mbps? 2 Mbps? 4 Mbps? 10 Mbps?  What network speeds did AT&T guarantee you'd be getting for your money?

Message 33 of 55 (3,181 Views)
Expert

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


jane697 wrote:

Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:
That's the point. I bought a 4GS iPhone to be on AT&T 4G network, and whatever data/voice/text/etc would be transferred on that network. By AT&T speed limiting anything on that network, it's a breach.

If we were to buy cable Internet at speeds up to 15Mps, do we worry about using Netflix, YouTube or other services? No. However, if I bought 15Mps with 50Gb usage, then they would be correct to limit or charge accordingly. If I still had unlimited data on the 3G network, it would be slower, and I would know if I wanted faster data, upgrade to 4G. But on EITHER network I still want unlimited data that I payed for, AT the network speeds I also payed for.

Re: your cable internet analogy--the key words that you yourself offered are "up to"; do you know of any cable ISP that guarantees you will get no lower than some fixed speed, 24x7?  Example--if you pay for 15 Mbps from your cable company, does the company guarantee that you'll see speeds no lower than 15 Mbps?

 

As far as your argument/complaint about AT&T speed throttling--exactly what network speeds did you pay for? 1 Mbps? 2 Mbps? 4 Mbps? 10 Mbps?  What network speeds did AT&T guarantee you'd be getting for your money?


same verbage is used on all data connections, including cellular. the ony ones that are differect are t1's, IC3, OC48, OC64's, but here we are talking business class from about 700.00 a month up to 60,000 a month service cost not counting the expensive hardware to utilize it. Also, yes if you have a business class cable connection - which residential non-commercial users can get, the speed is promised.

I do agree with you on the comment you made and the speed throttling though.

Message 34 of 55 (3,165 Views)
Master

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


oz_1 wrote:

I thought I utilized my phone pretty well and in a months time I still only use maybe 2GB but I don't stream TV or movies on mine.


Same here. Because LTE in my area is faster than my WiFi I have had WiIFi turned  off and was only using LTE last month. I only came within a few KB of using 2GB of my unlimited data plan. I think 5GB is far better than the 2GB that they offered on their HSPA+ phones. 

Message 35 of 55 (3,032 Views)

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

No, AT&T is not in breach of any agreement. Your phone provides you with access to their network. AT&T, like any carrier, makes no claims about the speed or uptime of their networks. The rate at which you can access the network is subject to congestion, bandwidth constraints, and imposed limitations. If you use more than 3GB with a 3G (UMTS/HSPA) phone, you get throttled. For 4G phones (LTE), you get 5GB before being throttled. It's in their terms, and continued usage of the account means acceptance of those terms.

 


Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:
That's the point. I bought a 4GS iPhone to be on AT&T 4G network, and whatever data/voice/text/etc would be transferred on that network. By AT&T speed limiting anything on that network, it's a breach.

If we were to buy cable Internet at speeds up to 15Mps, do we worry about using Netflix, YouTube or other services? No. However, if I bought 15Mps with 50Gb usage, then they would be correct to limit or charge accordingly. If I still had unlimited data on the 3G network, it would be slower, and I would know if I wanted faster data, upgrade to 4G. But on EITHER network I still want unlimited data that I payed for, AT the network speeds I also payed for.



Message 36 of 55 (2,944 Views)
Voyager

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

Hello all, first post. Sorry for beating this dead horse in advance.

 

I have a few questions between LTE and 3G data.  Theoretically, being (LTE is capped at 5GB) and (3G at capped 3GB), would we have a cummulative of 8GB?  Say I use my 3G/4G data in the begining of my billing cycle, specifically for battery savings (internet sources say LTE uses up more battery and to disable it in your iPhone cellular settings).  Then I do a check the speed to see if it's capped, then switch to LTE.  what would happen?  Would I get an additional 5? or capped at 5, having the LTE make the difference of 2 GB? making it regardless of what you use...capped at 5?

 

Sorry in advance for not searching this throughout the community forum, google brought me to this page.

 

Thanks.

Message 37 of 55 (2,604 Views)
Expert

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


sirhchris wrote:

Hello all, first post. Sorry for beating this dead horse in advance.

 

I have a few questions between LTE and 3G data.  Theoretically, being (LTE is capped at 5GB) and (3G at capped 3GB), would we have a cummulative of 8GB?  Say I use my 3G/4G data in the begining of my billing cycle, specifically for battery savings (internet sources say LTE uses up more battery and to disable it in your iPhone cellular settings).  Then I do a check the speed to see if it's capped, then switch to LTE.  what would happen?  Would I get an additional 5? or capped at 5, having the LTE make the difference of 2 GB? making it regardless of what you use...capped at 5?

 

Sorry in advance for not searching this throughout the community forum, google brought me to this page.

 

Thanks.


if your phone is capable of 3g but not lte then you are capped at 3GB

if your phone is capable of 36 and LTE then you are capped at 5GB

 

there is no addition of the cap limits

 

Message 38 of 55 (2,601 Views)
Voyager

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

how does that apply to just using 3G?  if a 3G/LTE capable phone only uses 3G data, by choice, 3G would be capped at 5GB; right? 

 

Doesnt that contradict to this 3G - 3GB cap?

 

I'm only asking because, Honolulu HI, (I believe) is still establishing LTE state wide, 3G is more available.  I've used the Ookla speed test on LTE on certain spots of our island (Oahu) and it varies between 2mpbs to +20mbps depending on the area/interference - mostly on the lower spectrum.  on 3G, it's much more stable  around 5-6 mbps.  So why waste my battery on LTE on something more varied, so I've turned LTE off to be on 3G.

Message 39 of 55 (2,590 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


sirhchris wrote:

how does that apply to just using 3G?  if a 3G/LTE capable phone only uses 3G data, by choice, 3G would be capped at 5GB; right? 

 

Doesnt that contradict to this 3G - 3GB cap?

 

I'm only asking because, Honolulu HI, (I believe) is still establishing LTE state wide, 3G is more available.  I've used the Ookla speed test on LTE on certain spots of our island (Oahu) and it varies between 2mpbs to +20mbps depending on the area/interference - mostly on the lower spectrum.  on 3G, it's much more stable  around 5-6 mbps.  So why waste my battery on LTE on something more varied, so I've turned LTE off to be on 3G.


The 5GB/3GB caps are not based on which network you are using, they are based on your phone. If your phone is LTE capable, the cap is 5GB whether you are on LTE or not. If your phone is not LTE capable, the cap is 3GB. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 40 of 55 (2,562 Views)
Tutor

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

[ Edited ]

WRONG!!! When I signed up for an unlimited data plan it didn't state if I went over a certain amount of GB I would be penalized with slower speeds. But I was looked upon as a "valuable customer" and thanked for being a loyal customer since it was Cingular. If this poor business decision to lower speeds is right it would have happened when I first signed up and not now. Their hope is that they can make the service so bad that all the grandfathered accounts would leave and they would no longer have anymore. When technology improves and customers begin to use it they should not be punished for doing so. When I signed up for unlimited it was unlimited Internet at the speed I was using at that time. They are punishing me for no legitimate reason at all!!!!!!! It's my choice to watch videos, my DVR or browse as much as I would like to do so. AT MY ORIGINAL SPEED!!!! I travel and work remotely so I'm not always in a WiFi environment. I am a loyal customer

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Message 41 of 55 (2,206 Views)
Mentor

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

I read that only 30% of AT&T's customers are still on unlimited data.  As that percentage becomes even smaller, then AT&T may ease up on the throttling policy--and it seems that in some markets that is already happening.  Even throttled, the grandfathered plans are far cheaper and a better value than the current data share plans. 

 

Recent statements by by executives have indicated that AT&T will likely abandon its subsidy model soon and I think at that point there will be a shift of customers toward prepaid and even more people will abandon their grandfathered plans. 

Message 42 of 55 (2,196 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

[ Edited ]

Shaw06 wrote:
WRONG!!! When I signed up for an unlimited data plan it didn't state if I went over a certain amount of GB I would be penalized with slower speeds. But I was looked upon as a "valuable customer" and thanked for being a loyal customer since it was Cingular. If this poor business decision to lower speeds is right it would have happened when I first signed up and not now. Their hope is that they can make the service so bad that all the grandfathered accounts would leave and they would no longer have anymore. When technology improves and customers begin to use it they should not be punished for doing so. When I signed up for unlimited it was unlimited Internet at the speed I was using at that time. They are punishing me for no legitimate reason at all!!!!!!! It's my choice to watch videos, my DVR or browse as much as I would like to do so. AT MY ORIGINAL SPEED!!!! I travel and work remotely so I'm not always in a WiFi environment.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]



In the terms of service, there is a section about fair use in the terms of "unlimited". AT&T determines what the "unlimited" fair use is. Because of the legal language in the terms of service, (which you agreed to when you signed your contract with AT&T)

 

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

 

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 43 of 55 (2,194 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

Hello kdfedere,
In life many times it takes the right person to bring forth the information needed to bring justice to many who need it and didn't know how to seek it or didn't have the means to do so. Your scare tactic will not work on me. I suggest if you don't like my post then keep it moving and read something else as I will proceed as I desire.
Message 44 of 55 (2,177 Views)
Expert

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


Shaw06 wrote:
Hello kdfedere,
In life many times it takes the right person to bring forth the information needed to bring justice to many who need it and didn't know how to seek it or didn't have the means to do so. Your scare tactic will not work on me. I suggest if you don't like my post then keep it moving and read something else as I will proceed as I desire.

better read your terms of service before you do anything, you can be spending a lot of money for nothing before you find out there is only one method to follow that you agreed to when you signed the binding contract

Message 45 of 55 (2,174 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.