ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

Tutor

ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

4G LTE has just been turned on in the Little Rock Market and I have exceeded 5Gb of data usage for the first time in 5 years of owning Iphones and having unlimited data.  My download speed was around 14 Mb on LTE and now its about 768K.  I totally don't like this, I think I am being robbed too.  ATT is my home ISP and I plan to research the LR market for alternatives that don't have bandwidth rate limiting or bandwidth caps.  Naturally the argument that an unlimited data plan should be "UNLIMITED" doesn't carry any weight with ATT, after all I do have access to the internet, just not good access.  I could even go along with this without a real fuss if the bandwidth limit was around 3Mb down but to drop me to 768K is bullsxit.

Message 1 of 55 (46,552 Views)
Expert

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


lfcou wrote:

4G LTE has just been turned on in the Little Rock Market and I have exceeded 5Gb of data usage for the first time in 5 years of owning Iphones and having unlimited data.  My download speed was around 14 Mb on LTE and now its about 768K.  I totally don't like this, I think I am being robbed too.  ATT is my home ISP and I plan to research the LR market for alternatives that don't have bandwidth rate limiting or bandwidth caps.  Naturally the argument that an unlimited data plan should be "UNLIMITED" doesn't carry any weight with ATT, after all I do have access to the internet, just not good access.  I could even go along with this without a real fuss if the bandwidth limit was around 3Mb down but to drop me to 768K is bullsxit.


you hit the throttle limit that has been in the agreement for years and started to be enforced in the past year or so. 3G is throttled at 3GB, LTE is throttled at 5GB. you have unlimited data, just not at the unlimited bandwidth you want, Your choices are to switch to a tiered plan or one of the new mobile shared. You will never be throttled on either of those plans, but you do pay for overages

Even home bandwidth is capped - there is a current ISP in the cable world that enforces caps on home use, that cap limited is dependant on your speed - 30MB is capped at 250GB, 100MB is capped at 500GB, exceed it multiple months and they terminate your service and will not reconnect.

 

the fair use policy has been around for years, they are enforcing it on grandfathered unlimited plans

Message 2 of 55 (46,363 Views)
Scholar

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

[ Edited ]

OP, on the one hand I can sympathize with your plight...but on the other hand, wingrider is right--pretty much, unlimited data doesn't mean/guarantee unlimited speeds...let alone nowhere in the TOS does it mention anything about a guaranteed minimum download/upload speed.  Again, it sucks to be throttled but you're pretty much out of luck as far as AT&T doing anything to change that.  If anything, you should be glad they bumped up the throttle limit on the unlimited data plan to 5 GB if the device associated with that plan is identified by AT&T as a LTE smartphone; think about it--the 4S is capable of (slightly) faster download speeds compared to pre-4S generation iPhones since it can connect to 4G...yet if you're using it on an unlimited data plan, you're still stuck with the 3 GB throttle limit (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Message 3 of 55 (46,326 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

The point the guy is making is that AT&T is screwing LTE users because their data statistics are wrong. You can go through 5GB way too quickly and they need to change the data cap to 10GB. AT&T is stingy and ripping all of their customers off because its almost 2013. If you have unlimited data plan with AT&T that means you've been paying them well enough to not be data capped at 768k. Ridiculous that you can defend AT&T for screwing their long-term customers.

It's time AT&T move into the future and start allocating more data usage for their customers.
Message 4 of 55 (46,056 Views)
Expert

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


xoxoxoxo wrote:
The point the guy is making is that AT&T is screwing LTE users because their data statistics are wrong. You can go through 5GB way too quickly and they need to change the data cap to 10GB. AT&T is stingy and ripping all of their customers off because its almost 2013. If you have unlimited data plan with AT&T that means you've been paying them well enough to not be data capped at 768k. Ridiculous that you can defend AT&T for screwing their long-term customers.

It's time AT&T move into the future and start allocating more data usage for their customers.

Sorry they don;t need to change anything, of the top 3 there is only one carrier with unlimited data left - sprint. Verizon got rid of theres and they are sunsetting the plan by stating the simple fact - you want a subsidized cost on a upgrade, then get rid of unlimited data, you want to keep unlimited data then pay full retail for the phone. Caps and usage restritcitons are here to stay in the wireless and broadband.

 

Message 5 of 55 (46,039 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

[ Edited ]

Caps and throttling are OK.  An unreasonably low limit (e.g., 5GB) is not.  As technology gets faster, the threshold should rise (e.g., 10GB for LTE).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 55 (46,038 Views)
Scholar

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


xoxoxoxo wrote:
The point the guy is making is that AT&T is screwing LTE users because their data statistics are wrong. You can go through 5GB way too quickly and they need to change the data cap to 10GB. AT&T is stingy and ripping all of their customers off because its almost 2013. If you have unlimited data plan with AT&T that means you've been paying them well enough to not be data capped at 768k. Ridiculous that you can defend AT&T for screwing their long-term customers.

It's time AT&T move into the future and start allocating more data usage for their customers.

Define "more".  And technicaly, you are not limited to 5 GB--you can use more than 5 GB, just that the rate of consumption slows dramatically once you go past 5 GB.  But hey, AT&T does offer you options where there are indeed allocating more data usage--you can pay a la carte per GB once you go past your allotment if you're on an individual tiered data plan...or you can subscribe to one of the higher-bucket Mobile Share plans--I believe there is a 20 GB Mobile Share plan--and you can even pay a la carte per GB if you go over your Mobile Share allotment as well.

 

Sounds like what people like yourself are looking for is that AT&T should allocate more data to you, but not charge you more for doing so.  And before you assume that I have little sympathy for unlimited data plan users--I am on an unlimited data plan on my iPhone 5 and I wouldn't be a happy camper if I got throttled; however, I also know how to tailor my data usage so that I won't get caught by surprise if I do wind up getting throttled.

 

Message 7 of 55 (46,035 Views)
Tutor

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

The max data plan used to be at one point 200MB, maybe even lower.

Guess what it is today...5GB. Yes Times have changed, just like hard drives used to be a couple GB, now they are couple TB,
SO NOW that IVE EXPLAINED THE BASICS OF TECHNOLOGY ADVANCEMENTS. AT&T data statistics for LTE users are horribly wrong. Because, well it's brand new. It is to be expected.
and now with LTE speeds...we are capable of blowing through 5GB in less than 1 hour.

And so, with more complaints as people realize that they are being screwed by AT&T and others, the max data plan will rise. And so on and so on.

We are just the first to actually start complaining about it publicly. The max data plan will change. Mark my words. and it will very soon I'm sure of it.

And as an unlimited bandwidth user of AT*T i and many others have paid them well enough over the years TO NEVER BE DATA CAPPED AT 768K, THAT IS RIDICULOUS, at the very least it should be data capped at 4G. And I'm not paying them $10 a GB after all that I've already paid them to keep my existing unlimited data plan. ONCE again, the point is that ATT is screwing ALL of it's customers with these SMALL data plans. And they will be adjusting with the changing times very soon

i'm not responding anymore. ATT u better change this data cao crap

Message 8 of 55 (45,838 Views)
Professor

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

If someone blows through 5GB in one hour, that's entirely their doing. It not the fault of the phone or AT&T. People are responsible for how they use their phone. Even with wifi usage included, I don't even approach my 4GB limit.
Message 9 of 55 (45,819 Views)
Expert

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


xoxoxoxo wrote:
The max data plan used to be at one point 200MB, maybe even lower.

Guess what it is today...5GB. Yes Times have changed, just like hard drives used to be a couple GB, now they are couple TB,
SO NOW that IVE EXPLAINED THE BASICS OF TECHNOLOGY ADVANCEMENTS. AT&T data statistics for LTE users are horribly wrong. Because, well it's brand new. It is to be expected.
and now with LTE speeds...we are capable of blowing through 5GB in less than 1 hour.

And so, with more complaints as people realize that they are being screwed by AT&T and others, the max data plan will rise. And so on and so on.

We are just the first to actually start complaining about it publicly. The max data plan will change. Mark my words. and it will very soon I'm sure of it.

And as an unlimited bandwidth user of AT*T i and many others have paid them well enough over the years TO NEVER BE DATA CAPPED AT 768K, THAT IS RIDICULOUS, at the very least it should be data capped at 4G. And I'm not paying them $10 a GB after all that I've already paid them to keep my existing unlimited data plan. ONCE again, the point is that ATT is screwing ALL of it's customers with these SMALL data plans. And they will be adjusting with the changing times very soon

i'm not responding anymore. ATT u better change this data cao crap


the only change that will occur is the plan will be sunsetted and removed, doubt you will ever see  cap increase. Before you claim they can't can't do it - they can and will since it is a discontinued plan and data it not part of the binding contract, just a requirement for a smartphone.

Message 10 of 55 (45,808 Views)
Scholar

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

[ Edited ]

dwill05 wrote:
If someone blows through 5GB in one hour, that's entirely their doing. It not the fault of the phone or AT&T. People are responsible for how they use their phone. Even with wifi usage included, I don't even approach my 4GB limit.

You beat me to it--if anyone can manage to find a way use 5 GB of data in one hour, period--it won't matter whether they blowing through it over LTE, 3G, or 4G--they'll eventually wind up using 5 GB regardless.  IOW, anyone who manages to use 5 GB in one hour isn't doing so from downloading email messages or viewing simple web pages.

Message 11 of 55 (45,730 Views)
Contributor

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

Been a customer with y'all since it was Cingular and I've been haveing unlimited data since it pretty much came out. I see what y'all are trying to do and its reasonable because everyone has a phone and you network can only handle so much but with the money y'all make every month you should be able to have this Mega network that can handle the whole usa. You say that customers with unlimited data plans are simply rare! If we are so rare why do you have to cap our plans. Y'all slowed me down so much I can't even access the app market!!!! My work requires me to be away from home 3 weeks out the month and my phone is the only way to stay in touch with my other life back at home. please fix this give us a 10gb cap and I will be happy
Message 12 of 55 (44,391 Views)
Expert

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


jleblanc1985 wrote:
Been a customer with y'all since it was Cingular and I've been haveing unlimited data since it pretty much came out. I see what y'all are trying to do and its reasonable because everyone has a phone and you network can only handle so much but with the money y'all make every month you should be able to have this Mega network that can handle the whole usa. You say that customers with unlimited data plans are simply rare! If we are so rare why do you have to cap our plans. Y'all slowed me down so much I can't even access the app market!!!! My work requires me to be away from home 3 weeks out the month and my phone is the only way to stay in touch with my other life back at home. please fix this give us a 10gb cap and I will be happy

doubt that will happen, suspect teh plan will be sunsetted before that occurs. You have the ay to resolve it, just switch to the metered plan or the new mobile share plan, no throttling, you just pay for the amount you use over and above the cap - 3G is 3GB, LTE is 5GB

Message 13 of 55 (44,387 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb


jleblanc1985 wrote:
Been a customer with y'all since it was Cingular and I've been haveing unlimited data since it pretty much came out. I see what y'all are trying to do and its reasonable because everyone has a phone and you network can only handle so much but with the money y'all make every month you should be able to have this Mega network that can handle the whole usa. You say that customers with unlimited data plans are simply rare! If we are so rare why do you have to cap our plans. Y'all slowed me down so much I can't even access the app market!!!! My work requires me to be away from home 3 weeks out the month and my phone is the only way to stay in touch with my other life back at home. please fix this give us a 10gb cap and I will be happy

My wife & I have been customers just as long (or maybe even a little longer, wasn't the name Cellular One before it became Cingular?)  In any case, if you don't want throttling, then you can sign up for a metered/tiered plan.  Those plans don't get throttled, but you do pay for your usage over the amount you have on your plan.  In other words, if you pay $30 for 3GB, then when you go over 3GB, you pay for an extra GB (about $10 per GB), and each time you use that GB up, you pay for another.  You don't get throttled, and since you are using it for business then it is a valid business expense...

 

As someone else mentioned, you could also sign up for a shared data plan.  I believe that ther is a 10GB shared data plan you could get, and if you got over that 10GB, I believe it is about $10/GB for each extra GB you use.  For my wife & I, we could almost switch the the 10GB shared plan, and come out about even, except that she would not get throttled when she exceeds her 5GB allotment (I seldom use more than 2GB myself so she could use up to 8GB and we would still be under our 10GB shared, and she would not get throttled).


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 55 (44,376 Views)
Tutor

Re: ATT wireless Unlimited Data is limited to 5Gb

The unlimited data structure was never sustainable.  The idea that you could have unlimited without people abusing it and consuming all the bandwidth wasn't feasible.  We're just starting to have to deal with the consequences now. 

Message 15 of 55 (44,060 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.