ATT has just runied my phone by uncloking them!!!

Tutor

ATT has just runied my phone by uncloking them!!!

Hi guys ! I just got unclocked my phone from ATT customer service but right now my iphone 4s keep connecting to E indicator instead of 4G like it used to be. I just dont get it ? What's wrong with my phone please help !!! I also tried to

+ Force connect to 3G/4G network by tools --> failed

+ Call 611 --> they're helpless

+ Restore by itune like new phone --> failed again

So basically ATT just blocked my IMEI by any chance to connect their 3G/4G network ?

Anyone encounterd same situation before ??? Please help !!!

Message 1 of 15 (1,137 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: ATT has just runied my phone by uncloking them!!!

Is this happening with another carrier SIM or AT&T? If it's an ATT SIM then no, SIM unlocks do not mess with the network settings as far as connecting to 3G to the network it's locked to. It only allows you to slide other carrier's SIM cards that are not AT&T, but I'm sure you knew that already.

It could be one of the towers in your area. Try to turn off your phone for a few seconds and turn it on again and hopefully that should help. If it doesn't, call 611 once more and ask the representative if they could refresh your network settings. Make sure to call them from another device as the process also includes turning off the device.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15 (1,113 Views)
Tutor

The issue has not been fixed when I moved from OC to another area 200 miles away. Even with ATT sim, it still being connected with 2G.  The representative whom I talked told me she could not get why my fone keep connect to 1 specific tower even she tried to redirect it to another tower. Is it possible of bad antenna ? I think not.

Message 3 of 15 (1,085 Views)
ACE - Professor

You mentioned that you tried to force connect the device to 3G/4G when you attempted to troubleshoot before, did you make sure to set back to automatic? That could make all the difference.

I honestly don't think a factory reset would help here, but it might fix whatever the bug is within the device if the issue was caused by a change in settings. Keep in mind that a factory reset will erase absolutely everything including personal data. Make sure to back up ALL of your data. Let's try to use that as a last resort though.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 15 (1,069 Views)
Master

Go get a new ATT sim.  There is no way unlocking an iPhone would cause this unless you changed a setting.  If you use some other carriers SIM, that one may not connect to the faster network speeds if they do not have that speed on their network at the frequency supported by the ATT iPhone and/or lacks a roaming agreement to get on the network with the faster speed.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 15 (1,008 Views)
Tutor

thks for reply guys. I replaced 3 new sim cards today att store and the problem has not been fixed yet. I just found some people got same issued like me after they unclocked their device from customer care. Really doubt that ATT did some tricks avoid unclocked phone connect to their network. 

Message 6 of 15 (978 Views)
Tutor

my phone keep reconnect to E after having 4G signal in couple seconds. Is it because my phone has bad antenna? what can I do right now ???

Message 7 of 15 (974 Views)
Master

Take it to an Apple Store they can run diagnostics and either confirm or deny bad hardware and keep calm and explain your situation most if not all the time they will address it if the error is on their end.

Message 8 of 15 (966 Views)
Tutor

he said I have to pay 199 plus tax for fixing the problem. I believe it's not hardware problem but he keep insisting that.

Message 9 of 15 (937 Views)
Master

ptt1404 wrote:

he said I have to pay 199 plus tax for fixing the problem. I believe it's not hardware problem but he keep insisting that.

It sounds like your phone is out of warranty but no one is going to disagree with their findings since Apple's tools are pretty good.  You may want to consider getting a new iPhone under a new contract vs getting an out of warranty exchange.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 10 of 15 (932 Views)
Professor

AT&T doesn't actually unlock iPhones. All they do is review an unlocking request, and if they approve it, send a request to Apple to unlock the phone through the iTunes servers. Apple does the actual unlocking.
Message 11 of 15 (903 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

If I'm following the conversation properly here, the OP had an iPhone unlocked by AT&T and now they are having problems with it.

Being somewhat familiar with the whole unlock process, I am aware for it to complete, the iPhone owner has to restore their iPhone using iTunes to complete the unlock.  Now, if the iPhone being unlocked is old enough that it is being unlocked because the contract has been met, then most likely was also not running the current iOS version.  The unlock process would have forced the iPhone to the current iOS relaese for that hardware, and the owner might be totally neglecting the change in iOS versions as a possible cause of problems.

Now, there are ways around the iOS upgrade, but all of them are hacks, and leave teh iPhone in a state which is no longer covered under any Apple warranty, so without having many more details in this situation, it is hard to say that this is AT&T's fault.  It is more likely that the restore process upgraded the iPhone's iOS version (and if it was jailbroken before the restore, all bets are off on the restore/upgrade working properly) and the upgrade is where the problems most likely came in.  A first suggestion from me would be to fully restore the iPhone as a new device and see if the problems still exist.  if not, then the problem is in the user's data/settings.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 12 of 15 (897 Views)
Tutor

thks very much for you GeekBoy. It could be the unclock progress not completely, even though "your Iphone has been unclocked successfully" but I did not do the following steps as instruction : erase all data and restore it from backup because I did not want to lose want jailbrake and I.OS version. As soon I discovered the problem, I tried to restore as new phone with lastest I.OS version (without restore from backup) but the problem was not solved. Usually just restore as new phone with lastest ios version fix many issues but not this time.
Any help please!!!
Message 13 of 15 (740 Views)
ACE - Master

The newer releases of iOS are fairly picky about upgrading from an iOS version which has been jailbrokem, especially if you do the update OTA and not through iTunes.  You really need to remove the jailbreak, restore as a new iPhone, then restore your settings, and then if you choose, apply your jailbreak to the new iOS.

I have made it a point to ot jailbreak my devices since my iPod Touch 1st Generation.  I have seen too many problems that were caused by a jailbreak to want to try to fight with my device to make it work.  I would rather have something that "just works" and so far all of my devices since have, including my iPhone 4 running iOS 7.0.2 and my iPad 2 running iOS 7.0.2

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 14 of 15 (710 Views)
Scholar

If the phone has been jail broke I think you've found your problem.
Message 15 of 15 (682 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.