ATT Next .... Trade-in Question

Contributor

ATT Next .... Trade-in Question

So, I plan on switching over soon.  I currently have about 7 months left in my current contract with an iPhone 5.  If I were to change to ATT Next program, would I need to turn in my existing iPhone?

If so, where?

Message 1 of 15 (1,242 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: ATT Next .... Trade-in Question

You can trade in your current phone if you want to but it is not a requirement with AT&T Next. Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15 (1,240 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for responding.  Even though I'm still technically under contract with this iPhone, once I enroll in ATT Next, I can keep it (the iPhone)?  If so, that's nice.  I assumed I would have had to trade it in.

Message 3 of 15 (1,236 Views)
Professor

jpbeck76 wrote:

Thanks for responding.  Even though I'm still technically under contract with this iPhone, once I enroll in ATT Next, I can keep it (the iPhone)?  If so, that's nice.  I assumed I would have had to trade it in.

I'm confused as to what you want to do here.  AT&T Next is an interest-free financing program to purchase a phone.  If you want to keep your current phone, you have no need for Next.

Are you interested in switching to the Mobile Share Value Plan instead?  That is the rate plan that offers different rates for different amounts of data, as well as offers a lower monthly service fee for those that bring their own devices.

Message 4 of 15 (1,183 Views)
Contributor

Yes, I realize that.  I want to get a new phone and I am going to take adantage of that offer (ATT Next).  But I want to know that since I am currently under contract and that doesn't expire until September, once I switch and get the new phone under ATT Next, can I go ahead and sell my iPhone or because I was under contract, do I need to return it.  Is the iPhone mine to keep and do whatever I want with?

Message 5 of 15 (1,179 Views)
ACE - Expert

Once the phone is paid for, it is yours to keep. Under the NEXT program, you can upgrade prior to the phone being paid off completely. THAT phone must be traded in to get the next phone on the NEXT program.
From what I understand, if it is paid in full, it is yours, if you still owe on the phone, you must trade it in to get the new phone.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 15 (1,169 Views)
ACE - Master

jpbeck76 wrote:

Yes, I realize that.  I want to get a new phone and I am going to take adantage of that offer (ATT Next).  But I want to know that since I am currently under contract and that doesn't expire until September, once I switch and get the new phone under ATT Next, can I go ahead and sell my iPhone or because I was under contract, do I need to return it.  Is the iPhone mine to keep and do whatever I want with?

Provided that you are eligible for upgrade under Next, the iPhone you currently have is yours to keep. However, if you do upgrade via Next, I'm not exactly sure what happens to your current contract. I suspect it will remain in place. If that is true, you won't be able to unlock your current iPhone until that contract is complete. Keep that in mind if you do decide to sell it.

Message 7 of 15 (1,165 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

The special offer that is letting you use/get the Next program now, instead of the end of the contract, does not require a trade in.

Trading in a phone, does not in any way, directly impact the upgrade period/options (apart from what you get back for it) on the typical 2 year contract.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 15 (1,157 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I have been given different answers. I was told you do have to trade in your current phone if you upgrade to next and are under contract.

I have a Galaxy S4 about 9 months old. If I upgrade to NEXT (which I can) and buy a cheap smart phone and pay it off early..then I am out of contract and get the $15/mo discount correct?? ....and I can keep my S4 too!

Let me know.

Fred B.

Message 9 of 15 (1,095 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

fbroce wrote:

I have been given different answers. I was told you do have to trade in your current phone if you upgrade to next and are under contract.

I have a Galaxy S4 about 9 months old. If I upgrade to NEXT (which I can) and buy a cheap smart phone and pay it off early..then I am out of contract and get the $15/mo discount correct?? ....and I can keep my S4 too!

Let me know.

Fred B.

To answer the first part of your post, you will not have to trade in your current, two-year contract device to start the Next program on a new device.  The only time that you would trade in your old device is if that device were bought under the Next program originally and you want to get a new device at 12/18 months.

I don't understand what you are trying to do in the second part of your post.  It sounds like you want to buy a new phone under Next (spend money) in order to end your contract and get the lower monthly fee for service (potentially save money).

The cheapest smartphone that I saw from AT&T was a CLN Galaxy S III Mini for $200.  It would take you over 13 months ($200/15) to realize the savings from this; you will be out of contract in 15 months.  It just doesn't seem worth it to me.  You also have to analyze your current grandfathered (?) plan against the Mobile Share Value plan to see if you come out ahead.

Message 10 of 15 (1,076 Views)
Tutor

What I would really like to do is convert to the mobile share value plan and get the $15/mo discount.

I thought I had to go to the next program to end my contract. I checked my options on line and if I sign up for the 2gb mobile share value plan it says charges are 55+40 (however there is a note you may be eligible for a $15/mo discount next to the $40).

I would love that plan...as I just use about 1.3gb data/mo and have a single line.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Fred

Message 11 of 15 (1,056 Views)
Scholar

Since you did the 2 year agreement with the current phone, that is means the phone is yours you can do whatever you want to do with, on thing is if you do not want to upgrade phones you can take that iphone over to the AT&T next program. 

If you upgrade you phone and go with the one of AT&T next programs on you pay of the phone the phone is yours to keep, but if you want to change phones than you will have to trade the phone in.

Message 12 of 15 (1,052 Views)
Tutor

I have a Galaxy S4..quite happy with it. I would like to go to the next program ..pay off the phone and get the $15/mo discount..According to the reps I talked to I would have to buy a new phone to do that..my phone is only 9 mo old and I don't need a new phone yet. If I buy a new phone (just like I have) I will be paying about 24/mo more.

I definitely would like to save 15/mo though (I presently pay around 90). Tmobile quoted me a price of 19/mo less that I am paying including a new S4 (trading in my old). I am quite happy with ATT but I don't think it's fair to offer 2 lines for $130 and one for 90+...I do like ATT and their network but if I can't get a more favorable rate I can't see myself staying another 13 months.

Fred

Message 13 of 15 (1,045 Views)
ACE - Expert

If your phone is only 9 months old, you are probably still under contract and can't get the $15 discount until you are out of contract. You will not be able to go on the Next program until you are upgrade eligible.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Message 14 of 15 (1,041 Views)
Tutor

I am upgrade elgible under the next program. I don't want to buy and new phone and trade mine in.

Kind of a waste just to get out of contract and owe 26/mo more (for the new phone).

I wish there was some way I could just pay the balance on the phone and get the 15/mo discount.

Fred

Message 15 of 15 (1,036 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.