Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted May 28, 2013
8:00:32 AM
View profile
AT&T throttling
I'm gettin tired of the way phone companies treat us there's to many other options avail. For AT&T to continue with these contracts and throttling issues stop it we have these expensive devices and lte avail but step on us when we use it .
I'm gettin tired of the way phone companies treat us there's to many other options avail. For AT&T to continue with these contracts and throttling issues stop it we have these expensive devices and lte avail but step on us when we use it .

AT&T throttling

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2013 9:04:43 AM
(0)
Expert

Slicedice wrote:

you have additional options for unthrottled data - either you police your usage by paying overages or the carrier will police it on discontinued plans

Slicedice wrote:

you have additional options for unthrottled data - either you police your usage by paying overages or the carrier will police it on discontinued plans

Re: AT&T throttling

2 of 6 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2013 2:24:30 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have an unlimited data plan for my iPad. Does ATT throttle the speed on the iPad data plan like they do for the iPhone unlimited data plans over certain usage levels?

How do I go about checking my iPad data usage. My unlimited data iPad plan is a standalone plan; it is not tied to my account that covers our two iPhones.
I have an unlimited data plan for my iPad. Does ATT throttle the speed on the iPad data plan like they do for the iPhone unlimited data plans over certain usage levels?

How do I go about checking my iPad data usage. My unlimited data iPad plan is a standalone plan; it is not tied to my account that covers our two iPhones.

3 of 6 (1,067 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 5:02:03 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by maxjive on Apr 7, 2014 at 5:03:03 AM

I don't believe they're throttling iPad users yet (ones with grandfathered "unlimited" plans).  It's amazing that AT&T is able to get away with throttling iPhone users with the same plans, especially due to the faulty logic they use.  Any time you slow down the rate at which you're doing something, it's no longer "unlimited".  It's inherently "limited" by the slower rate.  So when they throttle your data rate (from 18Mbs+ to 500k (absurd in and of itself), you are limited to 20x less data from that point on.  If you go for  a tiered plan, the rates they charge for limited data are bogus anyways.  Remember, they used to charge $20 a month for unlimited texts!!!

I don't believe they're throttling iPad users yet (ones with grandfathered "unlimited" plans).  It's amazing that AT&T is able to get away with throttling iPhone users with the same plans, especially due to the faulty logic they use.  Any time you slow down the rate at which you're doing something, it's no longer "unlimited".  It's inherently "limited" by the slower rate.  So when they throttle your data rate (from 18Mbs+ to 500k (absurd in and of itself), you are limited to 20x less data from that point on.  If you go for  a tiered plan, the rates they charge for limited data are bogus anyways.  Remember, they used to charge $20 a month for unlimited texts!!!

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 4:05:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

5 of 6 (211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 4:09:55 PM
(0)
Teacher
For some reason some people seen to think that AT&T are on business to provide a service...it is about profit! The service piece is just a necessary evil.
For some reason some people seen to think that AT&T are on business to provide a service...it is about profit! The service piece is just a necessary evil.

6 of 6 (210 Views)