AT&T striping me of my Unlimited Data due to supposed 'Tethering'

Contributor

AT&T striping me of my Unlimited Data due to supposed 'Tethering'

I just got an email from AT&T stating that

"Our records show you tether your device but aren't subscribed to the corresponding plan. If you called us in the past few days to subscribe to one of the required DataPro 5GB for Smartphone plans described below, you may disregard this letter. If not, then to bring your account up to date, we have automatically enrolled you into one of the following of our DataPro 5GB for Smartphone plans, and you'll soon see this change reflected on an upcoming bill statement"

I, however, have never tethered my device and only use apps such as RDP Lite (remote desktop) and Remote Monitoring Services for my home which require alot of continuous data streaming. I believe that AT&T has violated the terms of my contract but I'm not sure how to handle this. When I called customer support they transferred me to a 'special department' who told me 'Sorry, your data plan will change on your next billing cycle" over and over again after I repeatedly tried to explain to her that I have not been tethering my device and that I only use those apps on my phone.

I've been a satisfied AT&T customer for a long time but this is unacceptable treatment. I recently read an article that the AT&T CEO is losing sleep that they offered the unlimited data plan in the first place... thats NOT my problem. I signed a contract and AT&T should honor it. On top of this they said if I want to cancel to switch to Sprint for unlimited data they will charge me Early Terminate Fee!! I rely on my RDP application for business, please advise on what I can do to resolve this issue.

Message 1 of 14 (2,714 Views)
Tutor

Re: AT&T striping me of my Unlimited Data due to supposed 'Tethering'

[ Edited ]

If you never used Tethering, it seems your only options would be to take them to court or get out of the contract penalty free.  The offical policy is supposed to be beyond 3GB a month, unlimited data users are throttled until the next billing cycle.  If what you're saying is true, I'd switch to Sprint or someone else that offers unlimited data.  I'll be doing the same if they try to force me out of my unlimited plan, like what Verizon is doing now to their customers.  Personally, I'd say legal options are not worth the cost or headache.  Vote with your wallet and leave if they aren't honoring your contract and you haven't broken any rules.

Message 2 of 14 (2,667 Views)
Mentor

Have you called customer service to discuss?
Message 3 of 14 (2,443 Views)
Voyager

Call Customer Service... ask for an account manager.

Message 4 of 14 (2,438 Views)
Voyager

I too got a letter about tethering and I have unlimited. I have a iphone 4 with IOS 6.1.3 not jailbroken and just used it for Netflix while out of town and I get a text first about I went over 3GB by just whatching Netfilx when I thought I had unlimited. Then I call and they said it was tethered to my car which I listen to Pandora. So riddle me this my car does the same thing as my Bluetooth earpiece that was purchased from Apple and now they say this is tethering. So why do they sell Bluetooth speakers if your not allowed to use them? These are the same as Bluetooth earpiece your supposed to use to make driving safer right. Bluetooth is Bluetooth So in California you can't use a iPhone with a Bluetooth earpiece cause that is tethering by ATT logic.

Message 5 of 14 (1,809 Views)
ACE - Master

xx86 wrote:

I too got a letter about tethering and I have unlimited. I have a iphone 4 with IOS 6.1.3 not jailbroken and just used it for Netflix while out of town and I get a text first about I went over 3GB by just whatching Netfilx when I thought I had unlimited. Then I call and they said it was tethered to my car which I listen to Pandora. So riddle me this my car does the same thing as my Bluetooth earpiece that was purchased from Apple and now they say this is tethering. So why do they sell Bluetooth speakers if your not allowed to use them? These are the same as Bluetooth earpiece your supposed to use to make driving safer right. Bluetooth is Bluetooth So in California you can't use a iPhone with a Bluetooth earpiece cause that is tethering by ATT logic.

Don't give up.  Perhaps you got a CS rep who does not understand what tethering is but playing the output of your phone over your car stereo via Bluetooth is not tethering. 

The reason for the text telling you you've gone over 3GB is that is when throttling will kick in for users still on the unlimited data plan. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 14 (1,801 Views)

[ Edited ]

Go to an AT&T corporate store and don't leave until they show you the exact evidence of you tethering. The way they can tell is by your packet reading. They NEVER pin this on people that haven't tethered. They can prove it, you have no legal ability to sue.

{keep it courteous}

Message 7 of 14 (1,772 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

emoore254x wrote:
Go to an AT&T corporate store and don't leave until they show you the exact evidence of you tethering. The way they can tell is by your packet reading. They NEVER pin this on people that haven't tethered. [removed insult to the op]. They can prove it, you have no legal ability to sue.

Not going to happen, the local store does not have the ability to do what you are stating - packet sniffers are not part of a normal brick and mortar outlet, it would take a 2nd level NOC center personnel to do that.

Message 8 of 14 (1,765 Views)
Teacher

You downloaded a program to allow you to tether, you just admitted that you use your phone to remote connect to another computer. When that computer is using your phone's connection for data access, it's a form of tethering. AT&T is only making it fair to others that pay for those particular services. Why people can't be satisfied with just Unlimited Data is completely beyond me.

Oh, and you already realize I'm sure you have no legit case against AT&T.. you clearly violated the terms of your agreement with using Unlimited Data, and AT&T reserves perfectly legal rights to adjust your plan to the most appropriate plan so you can continue your form of tethering that you are doing.

I'm not affiliated with AT&T's Customer Care, Legal Department or anything connecting me to AT&T. I am however a long-time expert of the industry.
Message 9 of 14 (1,292 Views)
Mentor

How much data were you using?

If you really werent tethering, but using a lot of data then AT&T went with their "there's no way a normal cell user can use that much data so he/she must be tethering" logic

Message 10 of 14 (1,229 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

KH002K wrote:
You downloaded a program to allow you to tether, you just admitted that you use your phone to remote connect to another computer. When that computer is using your phone's connection for data access, it's a form of tethering. AT&T is only making it fair to others that pay for those particular services. Why people can't be satisfied with just Unlimited Data is completely beyond me.

Oh, and you already realize I'm sure you have no legit case against AT&T.. you clearly violated the terms of your agreement with using Unlimited Data, and AT&T reserves perfectly legal rights to adjust your plan to the most appropriate plan so you can continue your form of tethering that you are doing.

I'm not affiliated with AT&T's Customer Care, Legal Department or anything connecting me to AT&T. I am however a long-time expert of the industry.

Going to have to disagree with you on this one... If I use an app while away from home that allows me to connect to my desktop computer at home and view and control my home computer, I dont think that is considered tethering. My home computer would not be accessing the internet via my AT&T service via my iPhone, but rather by my broadband service at home. Tethering would be me using my phone's AT&T service to act as an internet access point for my laptop.

Message 11 of 14 (1,154 Views)
ACE - Master

9th Ward wrote:

KH002K wrote:

Going to have to disagree with you on this one... If I use an app while away from home that allows me to connect to my desktop computer at home and view and control my home computer, I dont think that is considered tethering. My home computer would not be accessing the internet via my AT&T service via my iPhone, but rather by my broadband service at home. Tethering would be me using my phone's AT&T service to act as an internet access point for my laptop.

You are correct. Remote controlling your home computer as you describe is not tethering. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 14 (1,131 Views)
Employee

I would say this is one of those cases where you really have to watch what you do.

Tethering is when your phones mobile connection is being shared to another device. I would say Remote Desktop is not considered tethering, but I can see how others would say it is.

I would recommend you call at&t customer care by dialing 611 from your phone, pushing 0 until you speak with a live rep, and ask for a manager. Explain the situation.

Best of luck.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 14 (1,050 Views)

On most cellular contracts when signed or agreed to by payment/service you forfeit any legal action in court. If a disbute arises you may take it to arbitration. It's behind closed doors and the outcome, the reasons for dispute, and liability if any will not be made public. However, you may file with the FTC on their web site to investigate for you.
Message 14 of 14 (841 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.