Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 15, 2012
8:21:34 PM
View profile
AT&T's LG A340 full of junkware CANNOT be deleted
Edited by glnz on Aug 15, 2012 at 8:22:06 PM

AT&T's LG A340 would be a decent voice "dumb" phone except that AT&T and LG have loaded it FULL of junkware that CANNOT be deleted. NOT ONE of the numerous preloaded junk apps has a "Delete" option. Here are the apps that I cannot delete:

- Star Tweets
- Wikimobile
- snap
- UNO
- Pac-Man Champion
- My-Cast Weather
- Bejeweled
- Maps
- City ID
- Browser
- YPmobile
- Mobile Web
- AppCenter
- AT&T Navigator
- AT&T FamilyMap
- Social Net
- AT&T Radio
But wait - it gets worse!! My speed dial menu is ALREADY POPULATED with the following AT&T numbers that always appear at the top of the list and CANNOT BE DELETED OR MOVED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST:
- AT&T Check Bill Balance
- AT&T Customer Care
- AT&T Directory Assistance
- AT&T Pay My Bill
- AT&T View Data Usage
- AT&T View My Minutes
- AT&T VoiceDial
Because these seven appear at the top of the list, the speed dials for my family members DO NOT APPEAR ON THE SCREEN unless I scroll down. THERE IS NO WAY TO CHANGE THIS.
I have now spoken with AT&T four times about this. AT&T has finally admitted that NONE OF THESE CAN BE DELETED OR MOVED.
So - it's your call.

AT&T's LG A340 would be a decent voice "dumb" phone except that AT&T and LG have loaded it FULL of junkware that CANNOT be deleted. NOT ONE of the numerous preloaded junk apps has a "Delete" option. Here are the apps that I cannot delete:

- Star Tweets
- Wikimobile
- snap
- UNO
- Pac-Man Champion
- My-Cast Weather
- Bejeweled
- Maps
- City ID
- Browser
- YPmobile
- Mobile Web
- AppCenter
- AT&T Navigator
- AT&T FamilyMap
- Social Net
- AT&T Radio
But wait - it gets worse!! My speed dial menu is ALREADY POPULATED with the following AT&T numbers that always appear at the top of the list and CANNOT BE DELETED OR MOVED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST:
- AT&T Check Bill Balance
- AT&T Customer Care
- AT&T Directory Assistance
- AT&T Pay My Bill
- AT&T View Data Usage
- AT&T View My Minutes
- AT&T VoiceDial
Because these seven appear at the top of the list, the speed dials for my family members DO NOT APPEAR ON THE SCREEN unless I scroll down. THERE IS NO WAY TO CHANGE THIS.
I have now spoken with AT&T four times about this. AT&T has finally admitted that NONE OF THESE CAN BE DELETED OR MOVED.
So - it's your call.

[ Edited ]
15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2012 8:54:51 PM
(0)
Professor
Yep. You don't have to live with bloatware if you buy an unlocked phone from Google or Apple.

On the contacts list, you may want to try this:

1 John
2 Jane
3 Rick

That could put the three on top.
Yep. You don't have to live with bloatware if you buy an unlocked phone from Google or Apple.

On the contacts list, you may want to try this:

1 John
2 Jane
3 Rick

That could put the three on top.

Re: AT&T's LG A340 full of junkware CANNOT be deleted

2 of 16 (7,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2012 5:37:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same problem… I was finally able to delete the att contacts from just the sim card.
Then turned off auto sync and set the contact list to read from the sim card… No more junk
In the contacts list… I just got the  phone so I will post again if I find a better  solution.

I had the same problem… I was finally able to delete the att contacts from just the sim card.
Then turned off auto sync and set the contact list to read from the sim card… No more junk
In the contacts list… I just got the  phone so I will post again if I find a better  solution.

3 of 16 (7,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2012 6:09:23 PM
(0)
Teacher
Wontoo - Please do. In the meantime, I have tried to post my same comment above as a Review of the LG A340 on AT&T's page for phone purchases. AT&T has rejected my attempted review three times.
Wontoo - Please do. In the meantime, I have tried to post my same comment above as a Review of the LG A340 on AT&T's page for phone purchases. AT&T has rejected my attempted review three times.

4 of 16 (7,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2012 10:04:05 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 16, 2012 at 10:10:46 PM

Shorten the review and try it again.

Thanks for your reviewSmiley Very Happy. I probably will not buy one.

Shorten the review and try it again.

Thanks for your reviewSmiley Very Happy. I probably will not buy one.

[ Edited ]
5 of 16 (7,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2012 1:55:51 AM
(0)
Professor

Since when did ANY branded phone not come with bloat?

Since when did ANY branded phone not come with bloat?

6 of 16 (7,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2012 3:36:42 AM
(0)
Teacher
I've asked AT&T to turn off my phone's internet access to prevent these rogue apps from using data. Among other things, that is the only thing that has stopped City ID. AT&T's motives here are tawdry.
I've asked AT&T to turn off my phone's internet access to prevent these rogue apps from using data. Among other things, that is the only thing that has stopped City ID. AT&T's motives here are tawdry.

7 of 16 (7,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2012 7:46:52 AM
(0)
Professor
City ID is very annoying. If you press the wrong button, you get subscribed to the service.

City ID is very annoying. If you press the wrong button, you get subscribed to the service.

8 of 16 (7,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2012 1:37:30 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by glnz on Aug 17, 2012 at 1:42:27 PM

hey ilikewireless - you are correct. City ID has designed it's subscribe / decline screen so YOU CANNOT TELL WHETHER THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON OR THE DELETE BUTTON IS SELECTED.

AT&T is just d****ed sleazy to put this junk on our phones and deliberately prevent us from removing it. Really low, smarmy behavior on the part of a major corporation. Like walking into one of those tourist rip-off electronics stores in Midtown Manhattan.

hey ilikewireless - you are correct. City ID has designed it's subscribe / decline screen so YOU CANNOT TELL WHETHER THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON OR THE DELETE BUTTON IS SELECTED.

AT&T is just d****ed sleazy to put this junk on our phones and deliberately prevent us from removing it. Really low, smarmy behavior on the part of a major corporation. Like walking into one of those tourist rip-off electronics stores in Midtown Manhattan.

[ Edited ]
9 of 16 (7,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2012 9:38:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

Just update - there is no update.  AT&T has not solved these issues and continues to sell this junk.

Just update - there is no update.  AT&T has not solved these issues and continues to sell this junk.

10 of 16 (6,674 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2012 12:22:02 PM
(0)
Professor
True. I hate this junk. It prompted me again and again even though I have no interest in it. AT&T please tell them to STOP IT!!!!!!
True. I hate this junk. It prompted me again and again even though I have no interest in it. AT&T please tell them to STOP IT!!!!!!

11 of 16 (6,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2012 2:10:44 PM
(0)
Teacher
- Well, has anyone had any good luck getting AT&T or LG to delete the incredible amount of data-charging junk on this phone?
- Well, has anyone had any good luck getting AT&T or LG to delete the incredible amount of data-charging junk on this phone?

12 of 16 (6,393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2012 3:37:28 AM
(0)
Expert

glnz wrote:

probably not, best bet next time is to buy a non-subsidized version from the manufaturer and not from a carrier

glnz wrote:

probably not, best bet next time is to buy a non-subsidized version from the manufaturer and not from a carrier

13 of 16 (6,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 7:49:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

How were you able to remove the AT&T contacts?  Would you mind sending the steps?  thanks

How were you able to remove the AT&T contacts?  Would you mind sending the steps?  thanks

14 of 16 (1,534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 7:54:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you name your contact starting with a space, that will put the contact at the top of the list ahead of AT&T's listings.

If you name your contact starting with a space, that will put the contact at the top of the list ahead of AT&T's listings.

15 of 16 (1,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 1:59:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation for putting a space first.  That works.

Thanks for the recommendation for putting a space first.  That works.

16 of 16 (1,497 Views)