AT&T's LG A340 full of junkware CANNOT be deleted

Teacher

[ Edited ]

AT&T's LG A340 would be a decent voice "dumb" phone except that AT&T and LG have loaded it FULL of junkware that CANNOT be deleted. NOT ONE of the numerous preloaded junk apps has a "Delete" option. Here are the apps that I cannot delete:

- Star Tweets
- Wikimobile
- snap
- UNO
- Pac-Man Champion
- My-Cast Weather
- Bejeweled
- Maps
- City ID
- Browser
- YPmobile
- Mobile Web
- AppCenter
- AT&T Navigator
- AT&T FamilyMap
- Social Net
- AT&T Radio
But wait - it gets worse!! My speed dial menu is ALREADY POPULATED with the following AT&T numbers that always appear at the top of the list and CANNOT BE DELETED OR MOVED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST:
- AT&T Check Bill Balance
- AT&T Customer Care
- AT&T Directory Assistance
- AT&T Pay My Bill
- AT&T View Data Usage
- AT&T View My Minutes
- AT&T VoiceDial
Because these seven appear at the top of the list, the speed dials for my family members DO NOT APPEAR ON THE SCREEN unless I scroll down. THERE IS NO WAY TO CHANGE THIS.
I have now spoken with AT&T four times about this. AT&T has finally admitted that NONE OF THESE CAN BE DELETED OR MOVED.
So - it's your call.

Message 1 of 16 (7,507 Views)
Professor

Re: AT&T's LG A340 full of junkware CANNOT be deleted

Yep. You don't have to live with bloatware if you buy an unlocked phone from Google or Apple.

On the contacts list, you may want to try this:

1 John
2 Jane
3 Rick

That could put the three on top.
Message 2 of 16 (7,491 Views)
Contributor

I had the same problem… I was finally able to delete the att contacts from just the sim card.
Then turned off auto sync and set the contact list to read from the sim card… No more junk
In the contacts list… I just got the  phone so I will post again if I find a better  solution.

Message 3 of 16 (7,411 Views)
Teacher

Wontoo - Please do. In the meantime, I have tried to post my same comment above as a Review of the LG A340 on AT&T's page for phone purchases. AT&T has rejected my attempted review three times.
Message 4 of 16 (7,404 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Shorten the review and try it again.

Thanks for your reviewSmiley Very Happy. I probably will not buy one.
Message 5 of 16 (7,388 Views)
Professor

Since when did ANY branded phone not come with bloat?

Message 6 of 16 (7,379 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

I've asked AT&T to turn off my phone's internet access to prevent these rogue apps from using data. Among other things, that is the only thing that has stopped City ID. AT&T's motives here are tawdry.
Message 7 of 16 (7,373 Views)
Professor

City ID is very annoying. If you press the wrong button, you get subscribed to the service.

Message 8 of 16 (7,349 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

hey ilikewireless - you are correct. City ID has designed it's subscribe / decline screen so YOU CANNOT TELL WHETHER THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON OR THE DELETE BUTTON IS SELECTED.

AT&T is just d****ed sleazy to put this junk on our phones and deliberately prevent us from removing it. Really low, smarmy behavior on the part of a major corporation. Like walking into one of those tourist rip-off electronics stores in Midtown Manhattan.

Message 9 of 16 (7,329 Views)
Teacher

Just update - there is no update.  AT&T has not solved these issues and continues to sell this junk.

Message 10 of 16 (6,743 Views)
Professor

True. I hate this junk. It prompted me again and again even though I have no interest in it. AT&T please tell them to STOP IT!!!!!!
Message 11 of 16 (6,726 Views)
Teacher

- Well, has anyone had any good luck getting AT&T or LG to delete the incredible amount of data-charging junk on this phone?
Message 12 of 16 (6,462 Views)
Expert

glnz wrote:
- Well, has anyone had any good luck getting AT&T or LG to delete the incredible amount of data-charging junk on this phone?

probably not, best bet next time is to buy a non-subsidized version from the manufaturer and not from a carrier

Message 13 of 16 (6,406 Views)
Contributor

How were you able to remove the AT&T contacts?  Would you mind sending the steps?  thanks

Message 14 of 16 (1,603 Views)
Teacher

If you name your contact starting with a space, that will put the contact at the top of the list ahead of AT&T's listings.

Message 15 of 16 (1,600 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.