Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 27, 2013
2:37:37 PM
AT&T new upgrade plan sucks
So I was gonna upgrade my phone today, I'm on a plan with 6 other devices and they were all eligible for upgrade with their new upgrade that u can do every year, so it was like about a month ago I saw that everything was eligible for upgrades and I just had to wait till I gotta pay in, so I go to do it today and all the upgrades are gone? So I called AT&T and they said its not true about the 1yr upgrade? Even tho they have tons of commercials saying upgrade every year. I think this is such bull crap. Has anyone else had this problem?
So I was gonna upgrade my phone today, I'm on a plan with 6 other devices and they were all eligible for upgrade with their new upgrade that u can do every year, so it was like about a month ago I saw that everything was eligible for upgrades and I just had to wait till I gotta pay in, so I go to do it today and all the upgrades are gone? So I called AT&T and they said its not true about the 1yr upgrade? Even tho they have tons of commercials saying upgrade every year. I think this is such bull crap. Has anyone else had this problem?

AT&T new upgrade plan sucks

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2013 3:35:24 PM
(0)
Expert

Coltongg33 wrote:

upgrade dates on the maximum 5 line plans where altered a couple of months ago, if the line came out of contract prior to 03/01/2014 the upgrade period of 20 months was retained, if it came out of contract on or after 03/01/204 the upgrade period was extended from 20 months to 24 months.

The program is called ATT Next, it is open to new customers and customers that are elgible for upgrade. You pay full price for the device that cost is split into 24 payments that are added to your bill, at the end of 12 months you can turn a undamaged fully working phone in for a upgrade.

Bottom line, check your eligibilty on MyATT, if it states your lines are eligible for a fully discounted upgrade you can get into the Nect program

Coltongg33 wrote:

upgrade dates on the maximum 5 line plans where altered a couple of months ago, if the line came out of contract prior to 03/01/2014 the upgrade period of 20 months was retained, if it came out of contract on or after 03/01/204 the upgrade period was extended from 20 months to 24 months.

The program is called ATT Next, it is open to new customers and customers that are elgible for upgrade. You pay full price for the device that cost is split into 24 payments that are added to your bill, at the end of 12 months you can turn a undamaged fully working phone in for a upgrade.

Bottom line, check your eligibilty on MyATT, if it states your lines are eligible for a fully discounted upgrade you can get into the Nect program

Re: AT&T new upgrade plan sucks

2 of 6 (4,374 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2013 4:54:23 PM
(0)
Professor

There are 20 Next payments, not 24.

There are 20 Next payments, not 24.

3 of 6 (4,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 7:48:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

The NEXT plan is a new false advertisement method to eliminate discounted phones.  They claim their is no interest but you can upgrade every 12 months, 18 months or 24 months. 

Prices for each for a 32GB phone are $37.00 month for 12 months ($444 + $42 tax, plus tax on the monthly amount), 28.00 a month 18 months ($504 + $42 tax, plus tax on the monthly amount) a measly 30% APR!, vs $336 up front plus $36 activation + tax.  So while AT&T claims to be offering these plans at no fee no interest their clearly are!   They are using this tactic to prey on the poor who could afford these devices without being enslaved to monthly installments.  I local advocacy group has appealled to the state legistlature and Attory Generals office to try and stop this preying poor.

If they want to truely be no interest no fees 12 months would be 336/12 $28.00, 18 months would be 336/18 or 18.66.  AT&T has found the NEXT way to squeeze profits out of unsuspecting customers.  The only advantage customers have is they can leave AT&T without a contract and fees.

The NEXT plan is a new false advertisement method to eliminate discounted phones.  They claim their is no interest but you can upgrade every 12 months, 18 months or 24 months. 

Prices for each for a 32GB phone are $37.00 month for 12 months ($444 + $42 tax, plus tax on the monthly amount), 28.00 a month 18 months ($504 + $42 tax, plus tax on the monthly amount) a measly 30% APR!, vs $336 up front plus $36 activation + tax.  So while AT&T claims to be offering these plans at no fee no interest their clearly are!   They are using this tactic to prey on the poor who could afford these devices without being enslaved to monthly installments.  I local advocacy group has appealled to the state legistlature and Attory Generals office to try and stop this preying poor.

If they want to truely be no interest no fees 12 months would be 336/12 $28.00, 18 months would be 336/18 or 18.66.  AT&T has found the NEXT way to squeeze profits out of unsuspecting customers.  The only advantage customers have is they can leave AT&T without a contract and fees.

4 of 6 (3,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 8:15:41 AM
(0)
Expert

Heat1976 wrote:

Prices for each for a 32GB phone are $37.00 month for 12 months ($444 + $42 tax, plus tax on the monthly amount), 28.00 a month 18 months ($504 + $42 tax, plus tax on the monthly amount) a measly 30% APR!, vs $336 up front plus $36 activation + tax.  So while AT&T claims to be offering these plans at no fee no interest their clearly are!   They are using this tactic to prey on the poor who could afford these devices without being enslaved to monthly installments. [redacted].

Confused here, how exactly are you coming up with the thought that there is a 30 percent interest and where exactly are you coming up with the 336.00? The retail price of a 16GB Iphone 5S is 649.00 which is exactly the amount that the financing is based on. The cost is based on either a 20 month payment plan @ 32.50 (12 month upgrade period) for a 16gb Iphone 5s or a 26 month payment plan @ 25.00 a month (18 month upgrade period)

Another point taxes are regulated and required by state, local and federal organizations, att does not throw them on just becasue they want to as you claim..

Heat1976 wrote:

Prices for each for a 32GB phone are $37.00 month for 12 months ($444 + $42 tax, plus tax on the monthly amount), 28.00 a month 18 months ($504 + $42 tax, plus tax on the monthly amount) a measly 30% APR!, vs $336 up front plus $36 activation + tax.  So while AT&T claims to be offering these plans at no fee no interest their clearly are!   They are using this tactic to prey on the poor who could afford these devices without being enslaved to monthly installments. [redacted].

Confused here, how exactly are you coming up with the thought that there is a 30 percent interest and where exactly are you coming up with the 336.00? The retail price of a 16GB Iphone 5S is 649.00 which is exactly the amount that the financing is based on. The cost is based on either a 20 month payment plan @ 32.50 (12 month upgrade period) for a 16gb Iphone 5s or a 26 month payment plan @ 25.00 a month (18 month upgrade period)

Another point taxes are regulated and required by state, local and federal organizations, att does not throw them on just becasue they want to as you claim..

5 of 6 (3,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 6:38:35 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Feb 2, 2014 at 6:43:35 PM

Like WInged101 said, the AT&T Next is a simple split of the full price of the phone, split up over, 20 or 26 months. That's how the pricing is figured. That's why, a

Trading it in and doing an upgrade then is probably more money then paying up front, at least without the plan discounts.

THe new AT&T Mobile Share Value plans offer really great discounts for customers on the Next program. Personally I probably wouldn't reccomend the Next program, without it, because it makes such a huge difference.

-Alex

Like WInged101 said, the AT&T Next is a simple split of the full price of the phone, split up over, 20 or 26 months. That's how the pricing is figured. That's why, a

Trading it in and doing an upgrade then is probably more money then paying up front, at least without the plan discounts.

THe new AT&T Mobile Share Value plans offer really great discounts for customers on the Next program. Personally I probably wouldn't reccomend the Next program, without it, because it makes such a huge difference.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (3,253 Views)