Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 11, 2013
1:48:40 PM
AT&T ditches traditional data plans in favor of mobile shared plans

just read this over at techno buffalo:

Starting Oct. 25, new customers will be presented with the option to choose from any of AT&T’s current Mobile Share plans—starting at $50 a month option (for dumb phones) or $70 per month (for smartphones)—both of which offer unlimited talk and text along with 300MB of shared data. AT&T says Mobile Share typically offers same or better price with additional value—about 95 percent of new customers choose Mobile Share—which is why more traditional plans are being dropped.

If you don’t currently have a Mobile Share plan, and you’re an existing customer, you have the choice to either switch or stick with the plan you’ve got; AT&T is making it explicitly clear that current customers do not have to switch if they don’t want to, contrary to some competing carrier rules. More choice, happier customers.

so my plan is 450 mintues, unlimited text and 300mb data, at $80. can I drop that, and get this? i'll have unlimited talk, and save $10, but I'll never share the data. 

Starting Oct. 25, new customers will be presented with the option to choose from any of AT&T’s current Mobile Share plans—starting at $50 a month option (for dumb phones) or $70 per month (for smartphones)—both of which offer unlimited talk and text along with 300MB of shared data. AT&T says Mobile Share typically offers same or better price with additional value—about 95 percent of new customers choose Mobile Share—which is why more traditional plans are being dropped.

If you don’t currently have a Mobile Share plan, and you’re an existing customer, you have the choice to either switch or stick with the plan you’ve got; AT&T is making it explicitly clear that current customers do not have to switch if they don’t want to, contrary to some competing carrier rules. More choice, happier customers.

so my plan is 450 mintues, unlimited text and 300mb data, at $80. can I drop that, and get this? i'll have unlimited talk, and save $10, but I'll never share the data. 

AT&T ditches traditional data plans in favor of mobile shared plans

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 1:53:59 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 11, 2013 at 1:59:11 PM

Guillermo78201 wrote:

will stick with my current familty talk plans, going to a mobile share plan will triple my monthly payment to att.

Have to admit this is not the brighest innovation that att has come up with, this is one move that could get me to move from att when my contracts are up.

Guillermo78201 wrote:

will stick with my current familty talk plans, going to a mobile share plan will triple my monthly payment to att.

Have to admit this is not the brighest innovation that att has come up with, this is one move that could get me to move from att when my contracts are up.

Re: AT&T ditches traditional data plans in favor of mobile shared plans

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (534 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 4:22:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
The good news about this is that no one will be forced from their current plan. Mobile Share in my opinion is not a good choice when it comes to single lines.

OP, keep in mind that you pay the plan price (whichever you select + $30-45 per line depending in the plan. So easily gets to the $90 range as opposed to before.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
The good news about this is that no one will be forced from their current plan. Mobile Share in my opinion is not a good choice when it comes to single lines.

OP, keep in mind that you pay the plan price (whichever you select + $30-45 per line depending in the plan. So easily gets to the $90 range as opposed to before.
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 6:53:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

It sounds like this plan will work for your situation.  You would save $10 a month and gain unlimited minutes.  Yours is one of the rare situations where the Mobile Share plan could make sense for an individual.

If you currently receive an employee discount through Premier, you have to factor in the difference in how the discounts are applied between the two plans.

It sounds like this plan will work for your situation.  You would save $10 a month and gain unlimited minutes.  Yours is one of the rare situations where the Mobile Share plan could make sense for an individual.

If you currently receive an employee discount through Premier, you have to factor in the difference in how the discounts are applied between the two plans.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 8:29:42 PM
(0)
Master
It would be helpful to link the official statement regarding this news. http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog/story/a7790956
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
It would be helpful to link the official statement regarding this news. http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog/story/a7790956
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

5 of 6 (453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 9:16:16 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:20:28 PM

Even though this is for "new" customers, I wonder how many old data plans may be "accidentally" switched over to the new shared plan when customers upgrade??? Just like now..customers with grandfathered unlimited plans whose data plan gets switched to something else when they upgrade, without them knowing it, and then they want it back. It seems like it may be one big mess...

Sorry if I strayed from the OP's original question....I think I'll keep what I have, too.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Even though this is for "new" customers, I wonder how many old data plans may be "accidentally" switched over to the new shared plan when customers upgrade??? Just like now..customers with grandfathered unlimited plans whose data plan gets switched to something else when they upgrade, without them knowing it, and then they want it back. It seems like it may be one big mess...

Sorry if I strayed from the OP's original question....I think I'll keep what I have, too.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (451 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments