Ask a question

Posted Dec 30, 2011
    12:06:06 PM
    View profile
    AT&T Unlimited Data Plan
    I have AT&T unlimited Plan for my IPhone, but AT&T slow my speed when I use my data over 5g, I test the speed, it's dial up Speed with 3G signal now! I call the customer Service, but She said I do have unlimited Access, but only in Dial up Speed after I use over 5g. Is any one have the same problem as me? AT&T try cheat on me change my unlimited plan to the limited plan. I feel upset about that, I stay service with AT&T for couple years, and finally How is AT&T treat the old customer? I should let any one knows it.

AT&T Unlimited Data Plan

16 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (16)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 30, 2011 12:24:35 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    Edited by brainwaver on Dec 30, 2011 at 12:24:56 PM
    IF you had taken the time to SEARCH these forums you would have found many posts on this same topic! AT&T is not cheating you! What you are experiencing is throttling of your data because you are an excessive user!!  If you had just done a search of these forums you would have found out why you are being throttled for using SO much data. AT&T is NOT the only carrier doing this! 

fvw3000k wrote:
    I have AT&T unlimited Plan for my IPhone, but AT&T slow my speed when I use my data over 5g, I test the speed, it's dial up Speed with 3G signal now! I call the customer Service, but She said I do have unlimited Access, but only in Dial up Speed after I use over 5g. Is any one have the same problem as me? AT&T try cheat on me change my unlimited plan to the limited plan. I feel upset about that, I stay service with AT&T for couple years, and finally How is AT&T treat the old customer? I should let any one knows it.

Re: AT&T Unlimited Data Plan

[ Edited ]
    2 of 17 (7,188 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 30, 2011 12:30:57 PM
    (0)
    Professor

3 of 17 (7,184 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 30, 2011 1:36:52 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

Excessive user? Says who? That's just an arbitrary term AT&T has assigned to the top 5% of X. The top 5% is 200 MB in some regions and 2 GB in others...

How about you take a look at the big picture? AT&T has provided "standard speeds" to it's unlimited cusomters this entire time, now relinqueshes it's responsibility to continue to do so based on a "fair use" clause. But what speeds are they obligated to privide to ANY of their customers while advertising themselves as the fastest 3G and 4G network? Why do they get to use that advertisement to woo in customers, but only actually make it accessible to some?

What happens when AT&T says "We've just got too many people ALL using 2 GB each. We will have to throttle users on these plans." That's right - this precedent where AT&T is allowed to provide reduced/slower service under the undlimited plan contracts has opened the door for them to use this leverage as a tool for forever.

So, you start out paying $X amount for 2 GB/month on their tiered plan and then a few years down the road, AT&T citing "fair use" and network congestion, ATT decides to throttle your speeds BUT you can get back into the standard speeds they advertise (fastest 3G and 4G network around!) if you'd like to move to their $50/GB/month tiered plan??? Why wouldn't they do this? It's worked back in 2011...

IF they aren't obligated to provide a certain speed to their unlimited plan subscribers, then they aren't obligated to provide a certain speed to ANY plan. Throttling is a means by which AT&T can coerce their subscribers into ever more expensive plans without loosing the contracts that are in place. The fair use clause basically is a loophole allowing them to limit a user based on arbitrary terms ATT decides the value of: top 5% of users, excessive users, data crunch, etc.

If you support their throttling what they determine to be "excessive users" NOW, then you are setting the stage for them to throttle YOUR data when they determine the market calls for it or when they think they can get away with it...You are helping to usher in the $100/GB/Month plan. They can continue to collect more and more money for less and less data and never have to dump any of those profits into infrastructure to increase the speed you are provided...

AT&T has thinktanks on their team who are looking at the long-term implications of incremental changes and what loopholes they can utilize to capitalize on the fact that data phones and devices are going to pull an ever increasing amount of data from here on out. IN FACT, they are sooo good at what they do, they have customers like yourself defending these marketing strategies and business plans.

4 of 17 (7,170 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 30, 2011 2:35:18 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by ShaunMN on Dec 30, 2011 at 4:39:49 PM

I don't think a lot of people agree that AT&T is doing a good thing, but pointing out that right or wrong AT&T is doing it and apparently getting away with it. Feel AT&T is wrong? Then choose another carrier. Those seem to be the options available. Arguing about what's right or who supports what isn't going to stop AT&T from throttling data. Losing many, many customers beating feet are about the only thing AT&T understands.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
    5 of 17 (7,159 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 21, 2013 10:25:23 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

AT&T needs to stop luring customer in by advertising awesome phones with streaming apps if they are going to slow down data speed because you are streaming.  They had tried to trick me into giving up my unlimited data, and now their solution is to slow down my speed. If this continues i will cancel subscription as soon as contract is over. I much rather sign up with a carrier that knows the definition of unlimited.  AT&T false advertising is a shame.

6 of 17 (5,305 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 21, 2013 10:28:49 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

How would you like to go to a "All you can eat buffet" and be paced or limited of the food you eat because you are eating too much?   I dont think any smart person will call that a "All you can eat"

7 of 17 (5,302 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 21, 2013 11:25:53 AM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by wingrider01 on May 21, 2013 at 11:27:26 AM

usmcviper wrote:

How would you like to go to a "All you can eat buffet" and be paced or limited of the food you eat because you are eating too much?   I dont think any smart person will call that a "All you can eat"

read the small print, they do reserve the right to limit what you take. Also this thread is over 2 years old, so that pretty much tells you what the repsonse is.

[ Edited ]
    8 of 17 (5,288 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 21, 2013 12:43:09 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

I love the comparison to an all you can eat buffet.  Every AYCE buffets I go to do keep an eye on what you eat, and I have seen a restaurant manager approach a table and ask them to please leave because every time the carb legs dish was refilled, they would run up and grab them all before anyone else gould get any.  I guess AT&T limiting the bandwidth on the unlimited plans isn't really any different than an AYCE buffet after all...

Jerry B.
    "GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Jerry B.
    "GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 17 (5,269 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2013 11:52:14 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

The two largest wireless carriers, AT&T and Verizon, have publicized “shared data plans.” The buyer purchases a monthly allotment of data, which is shared among their various devices. Some customers will benefit, others might suffer.

10 of 17 (3,992 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 19, 2014 10:24:32 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    I can honestly say that if the slowdown restriction is not removed immediately from my grandfathered unlimited plan, I will be moving my carrier to another service. There are carriers who offer unlimited data with no restrictions, and offer contract buyouts to transfer.

Tomorrow I plan on investigating this fully.

11 of 17 (2,443 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 20, 2014 5:27:36 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by dwill05 on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:28:09 AM

Jeremy_Brown wrote:
    I can honestly say that if the slowdown restriction is not removed immediately from my grandfathered unlimited plan, I will be moving my carrier to another service. There are carriers who offer unlimited data with no restrictions, and offer contract buyouts to transfer.

AT&T has been doing it for quite a while now, and realistically there is zero chance they are going to suddenly remove the restiction for anyone.  Undoubtedly, some have left over this.  However, many have found that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.    All the carriers have great deals to get you to swap to them, but then you are locked in to something that may not be better in the end.  Choose the best company for your needs, but I'd recommend making sure you check the coverage and plan restrictions to know what you re getting into.

[ Edited ]
    12 of 17 (2,413 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 20, 2014 5:29:37 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    You had better check that there are no restrictions on unlimited data. Most have it in their terms of service. Their numbers are not that large that it is causing problems so at this time they are not restricting data, but they may if their numbers get large enough to cause congestion.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 17 (2,411 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 20, 2014 6:19:06 AM
    (0)
    Master
    If you choose to leave for another plan, make sure the numbers work for the life of the agreement. I have seen one analysis that says why the buyout sounds great. The total cost of service is actually more.

Make sure that whatever you do works for you!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
    Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
    Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

14 of 17 (2,404 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 20, 2014 1:26:35 PM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:14:33 PM

Jeremy_Brown wrote:

Dwill05 is correct, the changes of att removing the limit restrictions on the discontinued unlimited plan is slim to none - and they are burying slim tomorrow. Be sure to read the Terms of Service, fair Use Policy and Acceptable Use Policy on the carriers you are looking at very closely, the grass is not always green on the other side and it still has weeds

[ Edited ]
    15 of 17 (2,369 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 20, 2014 3:39:08 PM
    (0)
    Master

Jeremy_Brown wrote:

Unfortunately this isn't going to be removed. Those other carriers that you speak of here, do not have as many subscribers on their unlimited plan and therefore don't have the problem of network congestion yet. They also don't have the amount of LTE coverage that AT&T does.  

16 of 17 (2,357 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 20, 2014 5:11:54 PM
    (0)
    Employee

I did a basic google search of various other companies (company name + throttle). Straighttalk throttles after 2.5gb, Metropcs 2gb Sprint reserves the right to throttle, but I haven't found a specific usage amount, but they do do it. Verizon, no longer offered, AT&T no longer offered.

Current speeds for iphones are too fast to maintain an indefinite unlimited speed.
    It's a tough truth to face. If you do find an unlimited internet, it will be at a limited speed.

Even many wireline companies are starting to struggle with that, and are beginning to limit.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

17 of 17 (2,341 Views)