AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G Aircard + Cisco VPN

Contributor

AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G Aircard + Cisco VPN

Have had a boatload of intermittent issues with this combination of network connections and AT&T has been quite unimpressive in helping our organization weed on the problem, so I wanted to post this in case anyone else runs into it in the future.

The gist of the problem is that using AT&T's mobile broadband service, we are unable to establish a VPN connection to remote sites using the Cisco VPN client. The VPN works fine over any other type of wired or wireless connection, just not with the AT&T service. The VPN connection appears to establish but we are unable to access the remote network's resources (some kind of routing issue). We finally found that the following combination will work.

Windows 7 x64

AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G

Cisco VPN Client v5.0.07.0440

Sierra Wireless Watcher v3507

Momentum Driver v6.20.0.17 or v6.20.0.22

Note that we were NOT able to get this to work using the AT&T Communications Manager, we had to retrieve the Sierra software at http://www.sierrawireless.com/en/Support/Downloads/AirCard/USB_Modems/ATT_USBConnect_Momentum_4G.asp...

Also note that other software combinations may work but we found that you MUST HAVE (at the very least) the Sierra Watcher application and one of two driver versions for the 4G card. Most of our people ended up with v6.2.0.24 and that would not work.......we had to downgrade the version.

A big raspberry to AT&T support for sticking to the old "We don't support 3rd party applications" copout and making us figure it out on our own, which we eventually did........

Message 1 of 5 (5,574 Views)
Expert

Re: AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G Aircard + Cisco VPN

jkornhiser wrote:

Have had a boatload of intermittent issues with this combination of network connections and AT&T has been quite unimpressive in helping our organization weed on the problem, so I wanted to post this in case anyone else runs into it in the future.

The gist of the problem is that using AT&T's mobile broadband service, we are unable to establish a VPN connection to remote sites using the Cisco VPN client. The VPN works fine over any other type of wired or wireless connection, just not with the AT&T service. The VPN connection appears to establish but we are unable to access the remote network's resources (some kind of routing issue). We finally found that the following combination will work.

Windows 7 x64

AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G

Cisco VPN Client v5.0.07.0440

Sierra Wireless Watcher v3507

Momentum Driver v6.20.0.17 or v6.20.0.22

Note that we were NOT able to get this to work using the AT&T Communications Manager, we had to retrieve the Sierra software at http://www.sierrawireless.com/en/Support/Downloads/AirCard/USB_Modems/ATT_USBConnect_Momentum_4G.asp...

Also note that other software combinations may work but we found that you MUST HAVE (at the very least) the Sierra Watcher application and one of two driver versions for the 4G card. Most of our people ended up with v6.2.0.24 and that would not work.......we had to downgrade the version.

A big raspberry to AT&T support for sticking to the old "We don't support 3rd party applications" copout and making us figure it out on our own, which we eventually did........

you would nbeed to call cisco and open a tac case but they tols us to switch from the vpn client to Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility client

Message 2 of 5 (5,562 Views)
Contributor

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I have an intermittent internet connection with att momentum 4g. I have installed the sierra manager but couldn't find the driver. Could somebody tell me where to find the older version drivers mentioned in this forum?

Thanks

Message 3 of 5 (4,588 Views)
Scholar

Can you please tell me where to get the downgraded version of the driver?  I installed AirCard Watcher R11.3.1206.1 Build 3507 and as part of that got driver v6.2.0.24, which as you said does not work.

Message 4 of 5 (2,664 Views)
Scholar

Just FYI, it appears Sierra Wireless is now part of Netgear.  So, I ended up talking to a Netgear support tech.  He told me this is a "known issue" and a problem with Microsoft's implementation of mobile broadband.  He pointed me to http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22907, but the DriverInstaller program linked there did NOT work for me.

So instead he sent me to the "Sierra Wireless Inc" folder under Program Files.  From there, 3G Watcher\DriverInstaller..  He had me run DriverInst.exe.  When I ran that, I saw a small notification window at the bottom (over the clock) telling me it was installing drivers.  It got to 100% and vanished.  No "success!" pop-up or anything.  At that point, he had me reboot.  My Cicso VPN worked after the reboot!

AirCard Watcher R11.3.1206.1 Build 3507

Sierra Wireless WWAN Network Adapter Driver 6.20.0.22 (I had version 6.20.0.24 before running DriverInst.exe)

Win 7 SP1

Hope this helps someone else!

Message 5 of 5 (2,575 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.