Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 31, 2014
8:11:48 PM
AT&T Renewed my contract without my knowledge

We upgraded a phone in 2012 and had been customers for years. When we upgraded the phone we asked if this would renew our contract and we were told it wouldn't. Turns out they renewed it without our knowledge and we are being charged an ETF for switching with two months left on our "contract."

In our case AT&T was also unwilling to do anything to assist us. I've initiated a complaint through the better business bureau and will be filling one with the FTC. I'm also considering a complaint with the Attorney General's office. 

We upgraded a phone in 2012 and had been customers for years. When we upgraded the phone we asked if this would renew our contract and we were told it wouldn't. Turns out they renewed it without our knowledge and we are being charged an ETF for switching with two months left on our "contract."

In our case AT&T was also unwilling to do anything to assist us. I've initiated a complaint through the better business bureau and will be filling one with the FTC. I'm also considering a complaint with the Attorney General's office. 

AT&T Renewed my contract without my knowledge

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 8:42:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

Every time you upgrade your device (if not with the AT&T Next Program) you will be renewing your 2-year contract. This information is on the terms and agreements.

Every time you upgrade your device (if not with the AT&T Next Program) you will be renewing your 2-year contract. This information is on the terms and agreements.

Re: AT&T Renewed my contract without my knowledge

2 of 18 (871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 8:47:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

We specifically asked the store representative if the contract would be renewed and he informed us that it wouldn't be. 

In hindsight maybe I shouldn't have believed the rep, but then what's the point of going to a store to talk to someone who can assist me with a purchase?

We specifically asked the store representative if the contract would be renewed and he informed us that it wouldn't be. 

In hindsight maybe I shouldn't have believed the rep, but then what's the point of going to a store to talk to someone who can assist me with a purchase?

3 of 18 (868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 8:50:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

At what point does AT&T take responsibility for the information given to it's customers?

At what point does AT&T take responsibility for the information given to it's customers?

4 of 18 (869 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 6:42:01 AM
(0)
Teacher

While I do strongly agree with you that the AT&T Store Representative should have provided you with the correct information, understand that you also have a responsibility as a customer to verify that the information given to you is correct by reading the terms and agreements.

While I do strongly agree with you that the AT&T Store Representative should have provided you with the correct information, understand that you also have a responsibility as a customer to verify that the information given to you is correct by reading the terms and agreements.

5 of 18 (808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 7:33:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

So basically it's my fault I was misinformed? AT&T still isn't taking responsibility. This means it's ok to deceive customers and I have a problem with this type of business practice.

So basically it's my fault I was misinformed? AT&T still isn't taking responsibility. This means it's ok to deceive customers and I have a problem with this type of business practice.

6 of 18 (804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 8:03:59 AM
(0)
Expert

Bucky205 wrote:

If I recall right (been a long time since I was in a retail store) the placards next to the display phones state "with 2 year service commitment" and when you purchase through the web site it states it, although with the next plan that may have changed since you are not getting the phone at a subsidized price and are instead paying full retail cost of the device

Bucky205 wrote:

If I recall right (been a long time since I was in a retail store) the placards next to the display phones state "with 2 year service commitment" and when you purchase through the web site it states it, although with the next plan that may have changed since you are not getting the phone at a subsidized price and are instead paying full retail cost of the device

7 of 18 (797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 8:53:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

I recall no such signs at the store I went too. I'll look through my bank statements to see how much we paid for the phone as this may help if we paid full retail. 

I recall no such signs at the store I went too. I'll look through my bank statements to see how much we paid for the phone as this may help if we paid full retail. 

8 of 18 (793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 9:58:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

I was not given the opportunity to read what I was agreeing to when I signed up for service in person at ATnT.  I was going to click on the 'terms of service' or whatever it was called, and the link didnt even work.  I was on the rep's tablet and hd knew I had no choice but to click on thru anyway or leave the store without setting up the contract or buying the phone.   In hindsight, I made the srong decision.

I was not given the opportunity to read what I was agreeing to when I signed up for service in person at ATnT.  I was going to click on the 'terms of service' or whatever it was called, and the link didnt even work.  I was on the rep's tablet and hd knew I had no choice but to click on thru anyway or leave the store without setting up the contract or buying the phone.   In hindsight, I made the srong decision.

listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul

9 of 18 (783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 11:29:20 AM
(0)
Expert

Bucky205 wrote:

you would know if you paid full retail, for example the subsidized price of a 16GB Iphone 5S is 199.00, full retail is 649.00, the sign is the small placard to the side or underneath the device describiing it and the commitment.

Bucky205 wrote:

you would know if you paid full retail, for example the subsidized price of a 16GB Iphone 5S is 199.00, full retail is 649.00, the sign is the small placard to the side or underneath the device describiing it and the commitment.

10 of 18 (778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 11:30:24 AM
(0)
Expert

little birdy wrote:

Personally would have stopped right there and told them you wanted to see a copy of the terms of service

little birdy wrote:

Personally would have stopped right there and told them you wanted to see a copy of the terms of service

11 of 18 (777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 11:52:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

They don't. If an AT&T employee gives you bad information its is your fault. This is why you see so much, "Did you do your homework", "Did you read the fine print".  How hard is to explain when you go on the Mobile Share Plan you will not get a substidized rate on a new phone when you upgrade.

The main negative to the MSV plan is when you have to upgrade to a new phone and is explained as contacted and non contracted phones. The customer which has always known a contacted deal is the best and is cheaper is now suppose to figure a plan without a contract is now less.

They don't. If an AT&T employee gives you bad information its is your fault. This is why you see so much, "Did you do your homework", "Did you read the fine print".  How hard is to explain when you go on the Mobile Share Plan you will not get a substidized rate on a new phone when you upgrade.

The main negative to the MSV plan is when you have to upgrade to a new phone and is explained as contacted and non contracted phones. The customer which has always known a contacted deal is the best and is cheaper is now suppose to figure a plan without a contract is now less.

12 of 18 (521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 11:55:54 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by T-Boy on Feb 25, 2014 at 11:58:56 AM

God, Guns and Automobiles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really, then AT&T will have to hire 3 times as many people because each customer will need two hours to read all the documents.

God, Guns and Automobiles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really, then AT&T will have to hire 3 times as many people because each customer will need two hours to read all the documents.

[ Edited ]
13 of 18 (519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 3:27:04 PM
(0)
Expert

T-Boy wrote:

If you don;t read it then your accept the consequences - your personal choice

T-Boy wrote:

If you don;t read it then your accept the consequences - your personal choice

14 of 18 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 8:17:38 PM
(0)
Scholar
Even if they did hire 3 times as many employees for customers to have time to read the terms and conditions if you disagree with them they won't give you service so no matter what if you want service with them you have to agree
Even if they did hire 3 times as many employees for customers to have time to read the terms and conditions if you disagree with them they won't give you service so no matter what if you want service with them you have to agree

15 of 18 (496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 3:52:46 AM
(0)
Scholar
Or you deal with a company that doesn't hide the details. One day after changing to the MSV plan you find out the upgrade details. You ask to go back to your old plan and the answer is, "We will submit your request and see what happens".

They hid the details to move people to where they wanted them to be.
Or you deal with a company that doesn't hide the details. One day after changing to the MSV plan you find out the upgrade details. You ask to go back to your old plan and the answer is, "We will submit your request and see what happens".

They hid the details to move people to where they wanted them to be.

16 of 18 (475 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 4:43:44 AM
(0)
Guru
The reps lied to you. This is very very common. Please update the thread if your FTC or AG complaints produce results. (The BBB are paid by ATT, not the customers, and might get you a call back but you are not likely to get help.)
The reps lied to you. This is very very common. Please update the thread if your FTC or AG complaints produce results. (The BBB are paid by ATT, not the customers, and might get you a call back but you are not likely to get help.)

17 of 18 (471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2014 2:55:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
This is very common it seems that it is AT&Ts second nature to misinform people. They told me
How to avoid being charged internationally and assured me I would not be yet they charged me
Anyway. They are very rude and once they have access to your accounts and money they act as if your concerns aren't important to them. It is safe to say that AT&T is the WORST WIRELESS PROVIDER
This is very common it seems that it is AT&Ts second nature to misinform people. They told me
How to avoid being charged internationally and assured me I would not be yet they charged me
Anyway. They are very rude and once they have access to your accounts and money they act as if your concerns aren't important to them. It is safe to say that AT&T is the WORST WIRELESS PROVIDER

18 of 18 (365 Views)