Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 29, 2013
6:06:35 AM
View profile
AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 Internet Tethering / MMS not working

I am in India and I purchased AT&T unlocked phone lumia 900 on eBay. My service provider is Vodafone India.

The internet tethering feature and MMS is not working i.e. giving message that "go to att.com/wireless or dial 611", all other internet based apps such as whats app, news india etc are working fine, meaning there is no problem with internet settings.

How do I unlock tethering and MMS features? I tried reaching AT&T support on phone and the answer I got is call Nokia or Vodafone and check. The AT&T support also gave me few codes to try unlocking but it is not working.

My queries are,

1. Are these features blocked only for AT&T on Lumia 900?

2. If YES, then how come AT&T allowed it's dealers to sell this phone in India?

I am considering reporting this to USA Govt and Consumer Forums. Isn't it responsibility of AT&T to ensure that the phone is not sold in a country where it will not work? The way I see it, it is plain simple dishonesty on part of AT&T. BTW the phone was sold to me @ INR 19000 i.e. approx USD 350.

I am in India and I purchased AT&T unlocked phone lumia 900 on eBay. My service provider is Vodafone India.

The internet tethering feature and MMS is not working i.e. giving message that "go to att.com/wireless or dial 611", all other internet based apps such as whats app, news india etc are working fine, meaning there is no problem with internet settings.

How do I unlock tethering and MMS features? I tried reaching AT&T support on phone and the answer I got is call Nokia or Vodafone and check. The AT&T support also gave me few codes to try unlocking but it is not working.

My queries are,

1. Are these features blocked only for AT&T on Lumia 900?

2. If YES, then how come AT&T allowed it's dealers to sell this phone in India?

I am considering reporting this to USA Govt and Consumer Forums. Isn't it responsibility of AT&T to ensure that the phone is not sold in a country where it will not work? The way I see it, it is plain simple dishonesty on part of AT&T. BTW the phone was sold to me @ INR 19000 i.e. approx USD 350.

AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 Internet Tethering / MMS not working

4 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2013 2:32:31 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

pmkothare,

Hello and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately those two features are supplied through your carrier. If your carrier can supply them they will work in any country.

Isn't it responsibility of AT&T to ensure that the phone is not sold in a country where it will not work?

Unfortunately, neither AT&T nor any other carrier/manufacturer can control what is sold on eBay. It's advised that before purchasing a phone through a third party that the buyer has researched whether or not it will work with their carrier.

James

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

pmkothare,

Hello and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately those two features are supplied through your carrier. If your carrier can supply them they will work in any country.

Isn't it responsibility of AT&T to ensure that the phone is not sold in a country where it will not work?

Unfortunately, neither AT&T nor any other carrier/manufacturer can control what is sold on eBay. It's advised that before purchasing a phone through a third party that the buyer has researched whether or not it will work with their carrier.

James

Re: AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 Internet Tethering / MMS not working

2 of 5 (13,641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2013 3:40:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You are using a device that was intended for use on AT&T's network, running an AT&T specific version of the ROM. It's not AT&T's fault that you decided to buy this for use elsewhere, from someone selling it on EBay.

From what I have read in numerous forums, it won't successfully use tethering off of AT&T. MMS should work, if you set the APM up right .

I did find this encouraging post on another forum, but only offer it for information - you will have to hunt down your solution (if any) on forums other than this AT&T user to user forum.

"My network selection is set on automatic. I did not enter any additional APN. When I first got the phone it was still locked to ATT. I flashed the 7.8 rom (form back in February) and unlocked it. MMS and internet sharing was not working at that time. I used Nokia's Network setup app to get MMS working (Internet Sharing still not working).
After that I used seven eighter to upgrade to a later 7.8 version. No change to APNs. Internet sharing still not working.
Than the most recent update through Zune...and voila, working."

You are using a device that was intended for use on AT&T's network, running an AT&T specific version of the ROM. It's not AT&T's fault that you decided to buy this for use elsewhere, from someone selling it on EBay.

From what I have read in numerous forums, it won't successfully use tethering off of AT&T. MMS should work, if you set the APM up right .

I did find this encouraging post on another forum, but only offer it for information - you will have to hunt down your solution (if any) on forums other than this AT&T user to user forum.

"My network selection is set on automatic. I did not enter any additional APN. When I first got the phone it was still locked to ATT. I flashed the 7.8 rom (form back in February) and unlocked it. MMS and internet sharing was not working at that time. I used Nokia's Network setup app to get MMS working (Internet Sharing still not working).
After that I used seven eighter to upgrade to a later 7.8 version. No change to APNs. Internet sharing still not working.
Than the most recent update through Zune...and voila, working."

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (13,632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 3:40:17 AM
(0)
Contributor
Lies I tell you. Pipe dreams they are I have been trying to unlock internet sharing for almost 6months now with no success. At&t won't even attempt to help. Nokia has no idea and straight talk don't know where to point. I am reporting. You should too. It is a scam. With at&t and Nokia leading he way.
Lies I tell you. Pipe dreams they are I have been trying to unlock internet sharing for almost 6months now with no success. At&t won't even attempt to help. Nokia has no idea and straight talk don't know where to point. I am reporting. You should too. It is a scam. With at&t and Nokia leading he way.

4 of 5 (10,902 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 3:44:12 AM
(0)
Contributor
As a matter of a fact search for at&t Nokia lumia 900. You will see they don't even acknowledge it exist. On this mobile version from that phone. Lumia sucks and at&t should be ashamed.
As a matter of a fact search for at&t Nokia lumia 900. You will see they don't even acknowledge it exist. On this mobile version from that phone. Lumia sucks and at&t should be ashamed.

5 of 5 (10,898 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments