Posted Jul 19, 2013
12:50:24 PM
View profile
AT&T Next

I'm one of those who always enjoyed upgrading to the new Iphone every year. When At&t changed there upgrade plan I was dissapointed but managed to do every two years. I was very excited about the Next program when I heard they were offering something new.  I thought I was going to be able to upgrade my Iphone 5 but the more I read about this program the more dissapointed I became, actually more then dissapointed because it became clear that your better off sticking to the regular 2-year upgrade plan.  Someone tell me if Im reading this wrong but basically its going to be like a extra 30-50 bucks a month on top of the 180 I pay for my family plan.  Thats 30-50 per phone, then if i sign up when it starts I still wont be able to upgrade this fall cause I have to pay a minumum of 12 months to be eligible for upgrade thats 360-600 per phone a year.  Then to add another money losing part of this you must turn in your old phone thus not allowing me to sell my old phone.  So there is no benefit to this program.  Even if I join this program Im not eligible for the upcoming iphone 5s this fall.  If I buy at discount on the normal plan then turn around sell my old iphone 5 i will pay hundreds of dollars less the someone on this program.  Does AT&T present this as a good thing for consumer?  Maybe Im reading this program wrong because I just cant believe they would come out with this program. I have unlimited data, I'm grandfathered in and I do like the network and service I just wish they would have a better upgrade  program. I wish they go back to how it was three years ago.  Does anyone know about this program?  does T-mobile, Sprint have new programs as well?  

I'm one of those who always enjoyed upgrading to the new Iphone every year. When At&t changed there upgrade plan I was dissapointed but managed to do every two years. I was very excited about the Next program when I heard they were offering something new.  I thought I was going to be able to upgrade my Iphone 5 but the more I read about this program the more dissapointed I became, actually more then dissapointed because it became clear that your better off sticking to the regular 2-year upgrade plan.  Someone tell me if Im reading this wrong but basically its going to be like a extra 30-50 bucks a month on top of the 180 I pay for my family plan.  Thats 30-50 per phone, then if i sign up when it starts I still wont be able to upgrade this fall cause I have to pay a minumum of 12 months to be eligible for upgrade thats 360-600 per phone a year.  Then to add another money losing part of this you must turn in your old phone thus not allowing me to sell my old phone.  So there is no benefit to this program.  Even if I join this program Im not eligible for the upcoming iphone 5s this fall.  If I buy at discount on the normal plan then turn around sell my old iphone 5 i will pay hundreds of dollars less the someone on this program.  Does AT&T present this as a good thing for consumer?  Maybe Im reading this program wrong because I just cant believe they would come out with this program. I have unlimited data, I'm grandfathered in and I do like the network and service I just wish they would have a better upgrade  program. I wish they go back to how it was three years ago.  Does anyone know about this program?  does T-mobile, Sprint have new programs as well?  

AT&T Next

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 1:16:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You wouldn't be able to join the Next program until you are upgrade eligible, or around September 2014 (I'm guessing based on what you wrote).  Once you join the Next program and get a new device, you won't be eligible for a new device for another 12 months.

T-Mobile came up with the Jump program first, then AT&T came out with Next, finally Verizon Wireless came out with Edge.  Sprint has some other offerings, but I'm not familiar with what they are.

You wouldn't be able to join the Next program until you are upgrade eligible, or around September 2014 (I'm guessing based on what you wrote).  Once you join the Next program and get a new device, you won't be eligible for a new device for another 12 months.

T-Mobile came up with the Jump program first, then AT&T came out with Next, finally Verizon Wireless came out with Edge.  Sprint has some other offerings, but I'm not familiar with what they are.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T Next

2 of 4 (792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 12:24:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

All of these programs from all of the companies are no good.... they will all cost you more money than they are worth... maybe if any of them gave you a discount on your monthly service since you are paying full price for the phone then it would be good.....

monthly service premiums are priced the way they are to include the costs of subsidizing your phone.... well if they don't have to subsidize your phone then they are just taking advantage...

Also the amount they will give you for your trade in is a joke... so unless you really don't need or like money just sell it on craigslist or ebay.

All of these programs from all of the companies are no good.... they will all cost you more money than they are worth... maybe if any of them gave you a discount on your monthly service since you are paying full price for the phone then it would be good.....

monthly service premiums are priced the way they are to include the costs of subsidizing your phone.... well if they don't have to subsidize your phone then they are just taking advantage...

Also the amount they will give you for your trade in is a joke... so unless you really don't need or like money just sell it on craigslist or ebay.

3 of 4 (597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 3:15:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

SINCE AT&T SAW FIT TO CHANGE THE ELIGABILTY DATE FROM 20 MONTHS TO 24 MONTHS WITH A CONTRACT YOU SIGNED WITH THE UNDERSTANDING IT WAS 20 MONTHS, I THINK AT&T SHOULD WORK WITH ITS CUSTOMERS.  I TRIED BUT WAS TOLD I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE WHOLE 24 MONTHS BEFORE I COULD GET THE NEXT PROGRAM, JUST SEEMS FUNNY THAT THEY CHANGE THE TIME AND THEN INTERDUCE A NEW PROGRAM.  MAYBE IT WOULD BE CHEAPER TO JUST BUY A NEW PHONE OUT RIGHT AND KEEP THE SERVICE YOU NOW HAVE AND SELL YOUR PHONES ON EBAY WHEN YOU REPLACE THEM..

SINCE AT&T SAW FIT TO CHANGE THE ELIGABILTY DATE FROM 20 MONTHS TO 24 MONTHS WITH A CONTRACT YOU SIGNED WITH THE UNDERSTANDING IT WAS 20 MONTHS, I THINK AT&T SHOULD WORK WITH ITS CUSTOMERS.  I TRIED BUT WAS TOLD I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE WHOLE 24 MONTHS BEFORE I COULD GET THE NEXT PROGRAM, JUST SEEMS FUNNY THAT THEY CHANGE THE TIME AND THEN INTERDUCE A NEW PROGRAM.  MAYBE IT WOULD BE CHEAPER TO JUST BUY A NEW PHONE OUT RIGHT AND KEEP THE SERVICE YOU NOW HAVE AND SELL YOUR PHONES ON EBAY WHEN YOU REPLACE THEM..

4 of 4 (581 Views)