AT&T Next.. only really benefits new customers.. (in my opinion)

Contributor

AT&T Next.. only really benefits new customers.. (in my opinion)

I'm not saying it's a rip off, or that it's the worst thing ever, I love the idea of being able to upgrade every year. I LOVED when I was with T-Mobile and was able to get a new phone every 5-6mos by splitting the cost over 4mos of bills (back when that option was available)..

BUT, lets say I upgraded 5mos ago, and I hate my phone, or the screen broke, well AT&T Next would be the perfect plan to start fresh, get a better pick, etc. etc. Instead, I have technically still wait another year and a half to even begin to qualify for the program (that's saying AT&T continues it). In my opinion that REALLY sucks (for lack of a better term). Unless you are a new customer or your upgrade is within a reasonable amount of time the program is completely useless, I'm either forced to stick with a phone I hate, pay to get a brand new phone, pay to get the phone fixed, or add a line. Am I missing anything?

So my issue isn't so much the program itself, but where is the benefit to the current customer that simply wants a change, but doesn't want to kick out $500-$700 every few months to try something new? 

Message 1 of 19 (9,088 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: AT&T Next.. only really benefits new customers.. (in my opinion)

You were given a subsidized phone in exchange for a 2 year contract and you have to abide by the contract, plain and simple. The Next program is new and until you are upgrade eligible, you are not eligible for next.
After you are upgrade eligible, you can go on Next, but you need to realize that you will pay a lot extra per month, just for the luxury of upgrading every 6 month or so, AND from what i heard, you need to return your previous phone, so it can't be sold to make up the difference in costs.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 19 (9,071 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

ithink_idesign wrote:

So my issue isn't so much the program itself, but where is the benefit to the current customer that simply wants a change, but doesn't want to kick out $500-$700 every few months to try something new? 

These are conflicting desires here.  If you want a new phone before you are upgrade eligible and don't want to pay the full price for the phone, your options are to consider third-party sellers like those found on Ebay or craigslist or find someone who would be willing to trade phones with you.  There are other people who maintain multiple lines in order to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish, as well.

The Next program allows people to "upgrade" once a year, so it wouldn't be every few months.

Edited to add:  I don't think that Next benefits any customer, whether new or existing, but this is just my opinion.

Message 3 of 19 (9,070 Views)
Employee

Don't forget about the Early Upgrade options. Yes, it's an additional $250 added to the cost of the phone, but it's better than a extra $25 - $32 billed in your account for 12 months. Also, you get the Early iPhone Upgrade Offer every 6 months of Active Service

Either way , there're more advantages to look into instead of the Next Plan. I think that plan was targeted for Parents that have Teenagers that want a New Phone every day.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 19 (9,058 Views)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

ithink_idesign wrote:

These are conflicting desires here.  If you want a new phone before you are upgrade eligible and don't want to pay the full price for the phone, your options are to consider third-party sellers like those found on Ebay or craigslist or find someone who would be willing to trade phones with you.  There are other people who maintain multiple lines in order to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish, as well.

The Next program allows people to "upgrade" once a year, so it wouldn't be every few months.

Edited to add:  I don't think that Next benefits any customer, whether new or existing, but this is just my opinion.

none of these early upgrade offers from any of the carriers benefits any of their customers, profit wise it benefits the carrier while playing to the desire to have the latest and greatest toy as soon as they can get it

Message 5 of 19 (9,058 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

ithink_idesign wrote:

I'm not saying it's a rip off, or that it's the worst thing ever, I love the idea of being able to upgrade every year. I LOVED when I was with T-Mobile and was able to get a new phone every 5-6mos by splitting the cost over 4mos of bills (back when that option was available)..

BUT, lets say I upgraded 5mos ago, and I hate my phone, or the screen broke, well AT&T Next would be the perfect plan to start fresh, get a better pick, etc. etc. Instead, I have technically still wait another year and a half to even begin to qualify for the program (that's saying AT&T continues it). In my opinion that REALLY sucks (for lack of a better term). Unless you are a new customer or your upgrade is within a reasonable amount of time the program is completely useless, I'm either forced to stick with a phone I hate, pay to get a brand new phone, pay to get the phone fixed, or add a line. Am I missing anything?

Next is not for everyone. It is just another customer option. Upgrading thru a service agreement with subsidization is still there. Customers can always buy directly from manufacturers, resellers, or Google. If you break Next down, you will find it more closely resembles a leasing agreement. Think about it like leasing a vehicle. You will never really own the vehicle unless you don't trade in and keep paying the vehicle until paid off. With a vehicle, a big portion of the cost is broken into payments with a balloon payment at the end, while with the phone it is broken down evenly, but the concept is the same. Trading in the vehicle keeps you in a newer vehicle at all times. Doing this with phones allows a customer to trade in and get a phone that has the latest specs and features. This is something that some customers want without having to pay it all upfront. It also helps when they lose their phone or damage it beyond repair. Typically, they would have to pay full price to replace the phone since they are not upgrade eligible. With Next, they would only pay what they still owe and then get a new phone under a new payment plan, hence reducing the out of pocket cost. Like I said it is not for everyone, but there is nothing wrong with having plentiful consumer choices.

Message 6 of 19 (8,997 Views)
Professor

But if a customer loses or damages the phone in your last scenario and is not eligible for a standard upgrade, the customer wouldn't be eligible for Next, either.

Message 7 of 19 (8,982 Views)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

ithink_idesign wrote:

Next is not for everyone. It is just another customer option. Upgrading thru a service agreement with subsidization is still there. Customers can always buy directly from manufacturers, resellers, or Google. If you break Next down, you will find it more closely resembles a leasing agreement. Think about it like leasing a vehicle. You will never really own the vehicle unless you don't trade in and keep paying the vehicle until paid off. With a vehicle, a big portion of the cost is broken into payments with a balloon payment at the end, while with the phone it is broken down evenly, but the concept is the same. Trading in the vehicle keeps you in a newer vehicle at all times. Doing this with phones allows a customer to trade in and get a phone that has the latest specs and features. This is something that some customers want without having to pay it all upfront. It also helps when they lose their phone or damage it beyond repair. Typically, they would have to pay full price to replace the phone since they are not upgrade eligible. With Next, they would only pay what they still owe and then get a new phone under a new payment plan, hence reducing the out of pocket cost. Like I said it is not for everyone, but there is nothing wrong with having plentiful consumer choices.

you can either turn in the phone in 100 percent working order with no damage OR you pay off the balance of what is owed on the phone at the end of 12 months.The carriers are going to get the full retail cost of the phone out of the user no matter if they trade in or buy out. With a subsidized phone you can get over what you paid for it on subsidy when you upgrade. Pretty good bet that anyone will do the trade in if the phone is in 100 percent working order and undamaged from scratches and dings, doubt they will want to drop of a couple hundred dollars to keep the phone.

Have also never seen a ballon payment on a car loan, on a lease if you want to buy it out but never a loan.

Message 8 of 19 (8,977 Views)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

But if a customer loses or damages the phone in your last scenario and is not eligible for a standard upgrade, the customer wouldn't be eligible for Next, either.

yes they could, they are just required to pay off the phone in full

Message 9 of 19 (8,976 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

The customer in that scenario was not on the Next program when the phone was lost or damaged.  So if that customer is not upgrade eligible, he can't start the Next program.

Message 10 of 19 (8,965 Views)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

The customer in that scenario was not on the Next program when the phone was lost or damaged.  So if that customer is not upgrade eligible, he can't start the Next program.

the last senario mentioned was if the person was already a member of the next program and they lost or damaged the phone. They would be required to pay off the device in full before getting a new device under the Next program

Message 11 of 19 (8,936 Views)
Teacher

Sprint got it right with there new program existing customers can opt in which is great
Message 12 of 19 (8,544 Views)
Expert

madjei wrote:
Sprint got it right with there new program existing customers can opt in which is great

link please to something that states this on Sprint's website. With as much finacial difficulties that sprint is in find it hard to accept that they will allow somone that is under a contract for a greatly subsidized phone to walk away with the phone and get a brand new one before they complete the contract

Message 13 of 19 (8,532 Views)
Teacher

Message 14 of 19 (8,495 Views)
Teacher

Existing customers who have been on contract for at least a year are also eligible, although the offer may be limited. Existing customers still on contract must trade in their existing phones, unless they are already up for a discounted upgrade. As with other plans, the existing phone has to be in good working order. Sprint prepaid customers aren't eligible for the program
Message 15 of 19 (8,491 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.