Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 22, 2014
2:03:22 PM
View profile
AT&T Next Plan, and lack of information, just cost me a lot of money!

I hope EVERYONE is aware of this before signing up for the AT&T next plan. My boyfriend recently switched over to AT&T from Verizon and set up an account in the store. BEFORE he even signed up for the account, he told the sales rep that he wanted to eventually join his line with mine to be on a family share plan, so he didn't know if he should sign up then. The sales rep at the store told him that everything would be fine, he could always go back and combine the lines later when I was available. Unfortunately, what he failed to tell us, was that to combine the lines, he wouldn't be able to continue on the Next plan. To get both lines on a family plan he had to completely pay off the phone in full, which was almost $600! After calling customer service multiple times and getting 10 different answers from different departments, they basically told me it was my problem and that I was just going to have to pay the fee. They did offer me a $100 "courtesy fee" for my trouble, but that makes little different when I'm still spending $500 for a phone I wasn't expecting. If we had known this in the beginning, we would have waited to switch carriers until we were both available. I'm still extremely frustrated not only by how long it took to get anyone to address this, but by the fact that I'm now out $500 because someone in the store blatantly LIED to us in order to get a sale that day. Shame on you AT&T for your sketchy business practices, HORRIBLE customer service and policies aimed at screwing over your own customers. I've had my AT&T wireless line for over 10 years, but as soon as my contract is up, or another carrier is having an offer to pay early termination fees I am canceling!

I hope EVERYONE is aware of this before signing up for the AT&T next plan. My boyfriend recently switched over to AT&T from Verizon and set up an account in the store. BEFORE he even signed up for the account, he told the sales rep that he wanted to eventually join his line with mine to be on a family share plan, so he didn't know if he should sign up then. The sales rep at the store told him that everything would be fine, he could always go back and combine the lines later when I was available. Unfortunately, what he failed to tell us, was that to combine the lines, he wouldn't be able to continue on the Next plan. To get both lines on a family plan he had to completely pay off the phone in full, which was almost $600! After calling customer service multiple times and getting 10 different answers from different departments, they basically told me it was my problem and that I was just going to have to pay the fee. They did offer me a $100 "courtesy fee" for my trouble, but that makes little different when I'm still spending $500 for a phone I wasn't expecting. If we had known this in the beginning, we would have waited to switch carriers until we were both available. I'm still extremely frustrated not only by how long it took to get anyone to address this, but by the fact that I'm now out $500 because someone in the store blatantly LIED to us in order to get a sale that day. Shame on you AT&T for your sketchy business practices, HORRIBLE customer service and policies aimed at screwing over your own customers. I've had my AT&T wireless line for over 10 years, but as soon as my contract is up, or another carrier is having an offer to pay early termination fees I am canceling!

AT&T Next Plan, and lack of information, just cost me a lot of money!

4 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 2:23:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

alevesq0520 wrote:

I believe the confusion is on which phone should get moved to which account.  If you want to moe his phone to your account, then he would have to pay his phone off in full terminating the AT&T NEXT program it is being purchased under.  If you move your phone to his account, then he woul dnot need to terminate his AT&T NEXT program.

I wouldn't call it a "blatant lie" it is more of a misunderstanding on which phone needs to be moved to which account.

For almost 10 years my wife and & had separate accounts for our smartphones (we started with Blackberries) and earlier this year, we moved my phone to her account, then moved both phones to a Mobile Share Value Plan with an end result of saving us about $60-70 per month.  Just combining the two accounts saved us about $30/month, then moving from that old Family plan to a Mobile Share Value Plan it saved us an about $30/month more.  I spent an hour at a store where a clerk tried to move her phone to my account, and they couldn't even get it done without cancelling the line, then signing her up for a new plan, which sould have cost us most of the ETF, plus her losing her phone number she has had for so long.  It just took talking to the right person to find out that there was the other way to get what we wanted.  In the end, it didn't matter to us which account was kept and which was closed, but because I told the clerk at the store we wanted to move her phone to my account they tried to do only that without even offering us the option of moving my phone to her account.  It was a simple solution that didn't cost us anything, and started saving us money immediately.  Perhaps you should contact them and try to see what it would cost to move your phone to his account instead of moving his phone to your account...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

alevesq0520 wrote:

I believe the confusion is on which phone should get moved to which account.  If you want to moe his phone to your account, then he would have to pay his phone off in full terminating the AT&T NEXT program it is being purchased under.  If you move your phone to his account, then he woul dnot need to terminate his AT&T NEXT program.

I wouldn't call it a "blatant lie" it is more of a misunderstanding on which phone needs to be moved to which account.

For almost 10 years my wife and & had separate accounts for our smartphones (we started with Blackberries) and earlier this year, we moved my phone to her account, then moved both phones to a Mobile Share Value Plan with an end result of saving us about $60-70 per month.  Just combining the two accounts saved us about $30/month, then moving from that old Family plan to a Mobile Share Value Plan it saved us an about $30/month more.  I spent an hour at a store where a clerk tried to move her phone to my account, and they couldn't even get it done without cancelling the line, then signing her up for a new plan, which sould have cost us most of the ETF, plus her losing her phone number she has had for so long.  It just took talking to the right person to find out that there was the other way to get what we wanted.  In the end, it didn't matter to us which account was kept and which was closed, but because I told the clerk at the store we wanted to move her phone to my account they tried to do only that without even offering us the option of moving my phone to her account.  It was a simple solution that didn't cost us anything, and started saving us money immediately.  Perhaps you should contact them and try to see what it would cost to move your phone to his account instead of moving his phone to your account...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T Next Plan, and lack of information, just cost me a lot of money!

2 of 5 (572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 5:05:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

Geekboy,

Unfortunately your answer is a little too simple for the situation. We both have the NEXT plan so asking to switch my phone to his plan would still cost us a huge amount of money.

I would have considered it a misunderstanding, except that we told the sales rep in the store, BEFORE opening any account, our goal to be on a family plan to save money. He knew what plan I was on and that I had the NEXT installment plan on my phone. The rep told us there would be no issue with combining the lines and NEVER mentioned anything about having to pay one of our phones in full before we were able to combine our line.

The other issue is that when I talked to customer service about this, I explained how we were never told this, they told us there wasn't anything they could do and it was pretty much our problem to deal with. Whether it was a "miscommunication" where the sales rep didn't know the rule, or it was conveniently not mentioned to ensure a sale, at the end of the day it was the companies fault. AT&T, however, doesn't feel like they have any obligation to fix the problem. I have a huge issue with a company that operates that way.

The whole purpose of my post is to ensure that everyone gets this information so they don't get screwed like I did. This is something that should be talked about before any sale is made.

Geekboy,

Unfortunately your answer is a little too simple for the situation. We both have the NEXT plan so asking to switch my phone to his plan would still cost us a huge amount of money.

I would have considered it a misunderstanding, except that we told the sales rep in the store, BEFORE opening any account, our goal to be on a family plan to save money. He knew what plan I was on and that I had the NEXT installment plan on my phone. The rep told us there would be no issue with combining the lines and NEVER mentioned anything about having to pay one of our phones in full before we were able to combine our line.

The other issue is that when I talked to customer service about this, I explained how we were never told this, they told us there wasn't anything they could do and it was pretty much our problem to deal with. Whether it was a "miscommunication" where the sales rep didn't know the rule, or it was conveniently not mentioned to ensure a sale, at the end of the day it was the companies fault. AT&T, however, doesn't feel like they have any obligation to fix the problem. I have a huge issue with a company that operates that way.

The whole purpose of my post is to ensure that everyone gets this information so they don't get screwed like I did. This is something that should be talked about before any sale is made.

3 of 5 (550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 6:07:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Did he remember to tell teh rep that your account was under a NEXT program too?  If the rep didn't know this, it would be hard for them to give accurate information.  This is why you found my answer to be "incorrect", you didn't provide me with all the details about the accounts, so I told you the correct answer based on the information I had available.  I agree with you that it is VERY IMPORTANT for all the information to be disclosed (by all parties) before any contracts are signed (yes, the NEXT program is a purchase agreement/contract for the purchase of the phone hardware).

You can still merge the two accounts into one as soon as one of you fulfills your NEXT program agreement, and maybe even before.  Have you tried calling the AT&T customer Service group for help?  They should be able to work you through a transfer of billing responsibility which is how they handle moving an on-contract phone from one account to another.  This might be able to handle moving one of your NEXT programs to the other account as well.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Did he remember to tell teh rep that your account was under a NEXT program too?  If the rep didn't know this, it would be hard for them to give accurate information.  This is why you found my answer to be "incorrect", you didn't provide me with all the details about the accounts, so I told you the correct answer based on the information I had available.  I agree with you that it is VERY IMPORTANT for all the information to be disclosed (by all parties) before any contracts are signed (yes, the NEXT program is a purchase agreement/contract for the purchase of the phone hardware).

You can still merge the two accounts into one as soon as one of you fulfills your NEXT program agreement, and maybe even before.  Have you tried calling the AT&T customer Service group for help?  They should be able to work you through a transfer of billing responsibility which is how they handle moving an on-contract phone from one account to another.  This might be able to handle moving one of your NEXT programs to the other account as well.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (542 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 7:06:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

Geek Boy,

I believe if you read my previous post you would see that we did inform the sales rep of our end goal as well as gave him all of the information he would have needed including the fact that I was also on the NEXT plan, before we ever switched his account over Verizon.

Also, I'm sorry if this is unclear above, but we did call Customer Care, multiple times. After about 5 hours on the phone and 3 hours in the store with different managers and reps they came to the conclusion that the only way to transfer billing responsibility on either of our accounts was to fully pay off the cost of one of the phones. You can not transfer billing responsibility on NEXT installment plans. We were upset by this because it was a very large upfront cost we weren't expecting. All of this could have been avoided if the original sales rep was either 1. more informed about how they system worked, or 2. wasn't so eager to make a sale that day that he left out that information. At the end of the day, we were charged an extremely large amount of money for something we were never informed about before making a purchase, even though they were given all of the information they needed from us. Most other companies would provide the customer with some sort of financial reimbursement for the oversight, unfortunately AT&T does not. That is why I am posting on this board so someone else may avoid the pitfall that we fell into.

Geek Boy,

I believe if you read my previous post you would see that we did inform the sales rep of our end goal as well as gave him all of the information he would have needed including the fact that I was also on the NEXT plan, before we ever switched his account over Verizon.

Also, I'm sorry if this is unclear above, but we did call Customer Care, multiple times. After about 5 hours on the phone and 3 hours in the store with different managers and reps they came to the conclusion that the only way to transfer billing responsibility on either of our accounts was to fully pay off the cost of one of the phones. You can not transfer billing responsibility on NEXT installment plans. We were upset by this because it was a very large upfront cost we weren't expecting. All of this could have been avoided if the original sales rep was either 1. more informed about how they system worked, or 2. wasn't so eager to make a sale that day that he left out that information. At the end of the day, we were charged an extremely large amount of money for something we were never informed about before making a purchase, even though they were given all of the information they needed from us. Most other companies would provide the customer with some sort of financial reimbursement for the oversight, unfortunately AT&T does not. That is why I am posting on this board so someone else may avoid the pitfall that we fell into.

5 of 5 (533 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments