Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 14, 2011
8:05:48 AM
View profile
AT&T Account Fraud on the Rise -- Users Beware

I was the victim of recent fraud on my AT&T account.  Someone ordered 3 phones in my name and changed my call plan. After about a dozen clueless reps and totally clueless and non-customer-oriented managers & about 5 hours of phone calls (not exaggerating here, I tracked each call !) I think my issue is finally resolved (largely due to work I did, not anything AT&T did on my behalf.)   

I say all that to say this: The fraud that occurred on my account was likely internal, according to both AT&T Fraud and the local AT&T core store reps I spoke to.  AT&T Fraud is "investigating" (I doubt it, they seemed clueless). The AT&T core store reps indicated to me that this type of fraud is on the rise.  They had been helping several customers who came into their stores recently who were either sent (or detected the presense of) added phones to their accounts.

Why is this fraud on the rise? .. Likely because the phones that were ordered on my account are cheap in the US, but can be sold overseas for a lot more money.  In addition, the phones were loaded with SIM cards which would have been charged to me had I not been paying attention to my bill.        

Apparently, someone at AT&T ordered phones and sent them (strangely enough) to my address, likely in an attempt to intercept the package and sell the phones later.  Any attempts to intercept the package that day failed because I just happened to be home sick that day when the package arrived. 

Lessons learned?  (1) Be persistant. So many of the AT&T CSRs were apparently not well trained to handle my situation.  A couple hung up on me (probably not wanting to deal with the issue) and a couple of the "managers" hung up as well (probably because they are clueless/poorly trained.)  I had to make repeated calls to several reps and to Fraud to resolve my issue.  I then had to call AGAIN after my bill printed to get additional charges reversed. (2) Read your bills!  You never know what's going on. Always check your bill each month whether you are paperless or not. (3) Don't be afraid to file a complaint with AT&T Corporate and with your own company (my company has a relationship with AT&T which I am currently recommending we drop). (4) Add a password to your account.  I had to speak to Fraud to get this done. (5) Speak with your wallet!  If you don't get a resolution, as soon as you are able to contractually, cancel your service and go to someone else.

Bottom line for me?  AT&T has some great programs and phones, but when it came to a real, live, customer concern, they were clueless, unwilling to help in a timely manner, and are dealing with a clearly broken system to resolve issues, especially those pertaining to Fraud.

I'll be speaking with my wallet very soon.  If my company (a Fortune 100 Company) follows suit, which I hope they do, the loss to AT&T could be huge.  We'll see.              

I was the victim of recent fraud on my AT&T account.  Someone ordered 3 phones in my name and changed my call plan. After about a dozen clueless reps and totally clueless and non-customer-oriented managers & about 5 hours of phone calls (not exaggerating here, I tracked each call !) I think my issue is finally resolved (largely due to work I did, not anything AT&T did on my behalf.)   

I say all that to say this: The fraud that occurred on my account was likely internal, according to both AT&T Fraud and the local AT&T core store reps I spoke to.  AT&T Fraud is "investigating" (I doubt it, they seemed clueless). The AT&T core store reps indicated to me that this type of fraud is on the rise.  They had been helping several customers who came into their stores recently who were either sent (or detected the presense of) added phones to their accounts.

Why is this fraud on the rise? .. Likely because the phones that were ordered on my account are cheap in the US, but can be sold overseas for a lot more money.  In addition, the phones were loaded with SIM cards which would have been charged to me had I not been paying attention to my bill.        

Apparently, someone at AT&T ordered phones and sent them (strangely enough) to my address, likely in an attempt to intercept the package and sell the phones later.  Any attempts to intercept the package that day failed because I just happened to be home sick that day when the package arrived. 

Lessons learned?  (1) Be persistant. So many of the AT&T CSRs were apparently not well trained to handle my situation.  A couple hung up on me (probably not wanting to deal with the issue) and a couple of the "managers" hung up as well (probably because they are clueless/poorly trained.)  I had to make repeated calls to several reps and to Fraud to resolve my issue.  I then had to call AGAIN after my bill printed to get additional charges reversed. (2) Read your bills!  You never know what's going on. Always check your bill each month whether you are paperless or not. (3) Don't be afraid to file a complaint with AT&T Corporate and with your own company (my company has a relationship with AT&T which I am currently recommending we drop). (4) Add a password to your account.  I had to speak to Fraud to get this done. (5) Speak with your wallet!  If you don't get a resolution, as soon as you are able to contractually, cancel your service and go to someone else.

Bottom line for me?  AT&T has some great programs and phones, but when it came to a real, live, customer concern, they were clueless, unwilling to help in a timely manner, and are dealing with a clearly broken system to resolve issues, especially those pertaining to Fraud.

I'll be speaking with my wallet very soon.  If my company (a Fortune 100 Company) follows suit, which I hope they do, the loss to AT&T could be huge.  We'll see.              

AT&T Account Fraud on the Rise -- Users Beware

34 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(34)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 12:37:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

Interesting story there. I think there would be more justice if you actually figured out who was doing this to you like maybe setting a box outside to see if anyone comes to get it and catch them red handed. It's sad how a customer's experience with att can be shut down by people within att. You did more than enough in my opinion. gj

Interesting story there. I think there would be more justice if you actually figured out who was doing this to you like maybe setting a box outside to see if anyone comes to get it and catch them red handed. It's sad how a customer's experience with att can be shut down by people within att. You did more than enough in my opinion. gj

Re: AT&T Account Fraud on the Rise -- Users Beware

2 of 35 (23,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 1:24:12 PM
(0)
Employee
Wow... I wonder what led them to the conclusion it was "internal"
Wow... I wonder what led them to the conclusion it was "internal"
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 35 (23,740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 1:29:43 PM
(0)
Employee
BTW.. For anyone reading this.. An acct password should b able to b added to acct by acct owner by calling 611 or visiting a corporate store. However..it can also b accessed by last 4 of social (in case of forgotten password.)

If u do not want any acct changes made jus by verifying last 4 of social..ask rep to add a priority note that no changes be made w/o password verification. Jus make *sure* you know password!
BTW.. For anyone reading this.. An acct password should b able to b added to acct by acct owner by calling 611 or visiting a corporate store. However..it can also b accessed by last 4 of social (in case of forgotten password.)

If u do not want any acct changes made jus by verifying last 4 of social..ask rep to add a priority note that no changes be made w/o password verification. Jus make *sure* you know password!
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 35 (23,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 3:46:22 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:48:42 PM

tallblondeguy wrote:

I say all that to say this: The fraud that occurred on my account was likely internal, according to both AT&T Fraud and the local AT&T core store reps I spoke to.  ......

Lessons learned?  (1) Be persistant.

This is why I have been calling AT&T every day since the system crashed over the weekend.  My account shows the following message stamped across my "UNLIMITED" data plan/feature section.

I have never made any changes nor authorized anyone to make changes to my account , data package, plan, messaging features or otherwise.  But  this mesage still persists.  Is anyone else seeing this message on their accounts?

CSR says nothings changed.... but...

(i can care less about up to the minute data usage showing up online, i am zeroing in on five words here "recent data/messaging feature change"... who changed it?)

tallblondeguy wrote:

I say all that to say this: The fraud that occurred on my account was likely internal, according to both AT&T Fraud and the local AT&T core store reps I spoke to.  ......

Lessons learned?  (1) Be persistant.

This is why I have been calling AT&T every day since the system crashed over the weekend.  My account shows the following message stamped across my "UNLIMITED" data plan/feature section.

I have never made any changes nor authorized anyone to make changes to my account , data package, plan, messaging features or otherwise.  But  this mesage still persists.  Is anyone else seeing this message on their accounts?

CSR says nothings changed.... but...

(i can care less about up to the minute data usage showing up online, i am zeroing in on five words here "recent data/messaging feature change"... who changed it?)

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

[ Edited ]
5 of 35 (23,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2011 11:52:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by katieeighty on Jul 3, 2011 at 7:15:35 AM
Hey I'm in the same problem with tallblondguy. Dealing with att is my worst experience, I got scam by att and some one has upgraded 3 of my phone to iPhone. The moment I find out the problem I went to local att customer service and report the fraud. It's been almost 2 months till today I got calls from att that there's no way they can help me.
So I got stuck with two years agreement that I didn't agreed nor I sign the contract. Many people who work in att are trying to help me but when it comes to the manager it's impossible to make them understand that I'm not the one who's responsible to find the theif. And I should not be responsible to taken this lost.
I been with att for years. My business use att, my home use att, and my wireless are all att. I have never had a late payment! Not at once.
But still instead of working together to find the victim. They blame the problem to me, saying I should call the police.

So anyway I canceled my wireless today. I'm going to change my business phone and Internet to time warner. I'm willing to pay all the termination fee as long as I sign the contract. But I won't not pay a dime for the 3 line.

I really thanks for reading my problem. If you have any better advice, please reply the post
Or call/text my cell phone {personal information removed}

Wei

Thanks
Hey I'm in the same problem with tallblondguy. Dealing with att is my worst experience, I got scam by att and some one has upgraded 3 of my phone to iPhone. The moment I find out the problem I went to local att customer service and report the fraud. It's been almost 2 months till today I got calls from att that there's no way they can help me.
So I got stuck with two years agreement that I didn't agreed nor I sign the contract. Many people who work in att are trying to help me but when it comes to the manager it's impossible to make them understand that I'm not the one who's responsible to find the theif. And I should not be responsible to taken this lost.
I been with att for years. My business use att, my home use att, and my wireless are all att. I have never had a late payment! Not at once.
But still instead of working together to find the victim. They blame the problem to me, saying I should call the police.

So anyway I canceled my wireless today. I'm going to change my business phone and Internet to time warner. I'm willing to pay all the termination fee as long as I sign the contract. But I won't not pay a dime for the 3 line.

I really thanks for reading my problem. If you have any better advice, please reply the post

Wei

Thanks

[ Edited ]
6 of 35 (23,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2011 2:54:45 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by katieeighty on Jul 3, 2011 at 7:17:09 AM
Wei2kool4u wrote:

Wei

Thanks

....well,...if you were scammed once,. why are you posting your cell phone number , open to the world to see and possibly use ?....

Wei2kool4u wrote:

Wei

Thanks

....well,...if you were scammed once,. why are you posting your cell phone number , open to the world to see and possibly use ?....

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

[ Edited ]
7 of 35 (23,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2011 6:42:01 AM
(0)
Tutor
Rico your right. But posting a phone number is alot safer than people think. Instead I'll get a quick response on my problem. Well I'll take it down.
Thanks
Wei
Rico your right. But posting a phone number is alot safer than people think. Instead I'll get a quick response on my problem. Well I'll take it down.
Thanks
Wei

8 of 35 (23,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 2:43:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Same strory here. I am posting because i wanted to make other people aware of the situation. Got an email from ATT order department that i have ordered 2 brand new wireless phones. I called immediately to verify the order and who has placed it. I was connected to Fraud department and the lady did look into the system and concluded that order was placed thourhg me only. Whne i said I never placed an order and want to know who did she said she cannot help. Someone called from my home phone and placed the order. That is not possible because i know the information only. Anyway ATT could not help and suggested me to put a credit moniotring, i was surpised so quickly she gave me the credit agency number. I have all the reasons to believe that information is compromised within ATT and everything was unintentionally done with in ATT.  Now here i am thinking about how to stop this in future and how my personal info is leaked. ATT could not help and i end up spending 2 hours talking to ATT rep to help solve the problem that has not been created by me. Just to mention i am not even a ATT wireless customer.

I am sure issue is with ATT Reps and systems. Your personal information is not safe.

Same strory here. I am posting because i wanted to make other people aware of the situation. Got an email from ATT order department that i have ordered 2 brand new wireless phones. I called immediately to verify the order and who has placed it. I was connected to Fraud department and the lady did look into the system and concluded that order was placed thourhg me only. Whne i said I never placed an order and want to know who did she said she cannot help. Someone called from my home phone and placed the order. That is not possible because i know the information only. Anyway ATT could not help and suggested me to put a credit moniotring, i was surpised so quickly she gave me the credit agency number. I have all the reasons to believe that information is compromised within ATT and everything was unintentionally done with in ATT.  Now here i am thinking about how to stop this in future and how my personal info is leaked. ATT could not help and i end up spending 2 hours talking to ATT rep to help solve the problem that has not been created by me. Just to mention i am not even a ATT wireless customer.

I am sure issue is with ATT Reps and systems. Your personal information is not safe.

9 of 35 (22,940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 2:59:03 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm very sorry to hear that your personal information was compromised. AT&T takes security very seriously and takes great measures to make sure information is protected. Please let me know if you have any continued issues. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I'm very sorry to hear that your personal information was compromised. AT&T takes security very seriously and takes great measures to make sure information is protected. Please let me know if you have any continued issues. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 35 (22,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2012 8:12:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

Close one today, my family member plan's account holder recieved a call from a chinese rep saying he was from att, he told the holder all the discounts we had and that we've been long time members of att. He then asked for the holder's last 4, which rang alarms in my head. Supposedly att and china telecom has made agreements to share our information! I called att to complain but the staff nor management had no freaking clue! I'm gonna need to check to make sure they did not change my plan....

Close one today, my family member plan's account holder recieved a call from a chinese rep saying he was from att, he told the holder all the discounts we had and that we've been long time members of att. He then asked for the holder's last 4, which rang alarms in my head. Supposedly att and china telecom has made agreements to share our information! I called att to complain but the staff nor management had no freaking clue! I'm gonna need to check to make sure they did not change my plan....

11 of 35 (22,741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 3:11:08 AM
(0)
Expert

drew2468 wrote:

Can you supply any documentation that "supposedly att an china telecom made agreements"? Sound smore like a normal phone scam that is happening more frequently - like "contractors" cold calling people for "great rates" on "quality work"

drew2468 wrote:

Can you supply any documentation that "supposedly att an china telecom made agreements"? Sound smore like a normal phone scam that is happening more frequently - like "contractors" cold calling people for "great rates" on "quality work"

12 of 35 (22,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

13 of 35 (22,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 8:51:38 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Mar 30, 2012 at 8:54:39 AM

drew2468 wrote:

Here are the links, one from att's website and another from reuters

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=22083&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=33438

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/30/us-att-chinatelecom-idUSTRE7AT0YM20111130

Still has no supporting documentation on what you claim, carriers have agreements in place with numerous international telcoms for exacty the reasons stated in the press releases

"AT&T said on Wednesday that the agreement would expand its services for business customers in China"

Key words In china...

:AT&T’s Asia operations have been in place for more than 30 years, with extensive experience serving MNC customers in one of the most diverse regions in the world."

Still smacks of a cold call from a 3rd party company

drew2468 wrote:

Here are the links, one from att's website and another from reuters

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=22083&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=33438

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/30/us-att-chinatelecom-idUSTRE7AT0YM20111130

Still has no supporting documentation on what you claim, carriers have agreements in place with numerous international telcoms for exacty the reasons stated in the press releases

"AT&T said on Wednesday that the agreement would expand its services for business customers in China"

Key words In china...

:AT&T’s Asia operations have been in place for more than 30 years, with extensive experience serving MNC customers in one of the most diverse regions in the world."

Still smacks of a cold call from a 3rd party company

[ Edited ]
14 of 35 (22,722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 9:19:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-30/at-t-china-telecom-sign-agreement-to-expand-relationship.ht...

"As part of today’s accord, AT&T will connect China Telecom to its data networks in the U.S. to provide service to Chinese multinationals. The two companies also said they will consider providing mutual support in other regions of the world"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-30/at-t-china-telecom-sign-agreement-to-expand-relationship.html

"As part of today’s accord, AT&T will connect China Telecom to its data networks in the U.S. to provide service to Chinese multinationals. The two companies also said they will consider providing mutual support in other regions of the world"

15 of 35 (22,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 11:52:42 AM
(0)
Employee
Tin foil hats
Tin foil hats

16 of 35 (22,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 11:55:00 AM
(0)
Expert

drew2468 wrote:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-30/at-t-china-telecom-sign-agreement-to-expand-relationship.ht...

not going to argue, you are reading a lot more into it and equating it to cold calls, the ATT has had an agreenet with the telcoms for 30 years, do some investigation on the "other regions of the world" and you just might find out that the US is not one of them. You do also realize that call centers employee a large vairiance of ehtinic backgrounds. This whole thing myight be mute if you, any of your family, or the company you work for (have have a fan discount throught) do business trips to areas that are served by the specific carriers.

Still could have been a cold phish call though.

drew2468 wrote:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-30/at-t-china-telecom-sign-agreement-to-expand-relationship.html

not going to argue, you are reading a lot more into it and equating it to cold calls, the ATT has had an agreenet with the telcoms for 30 years, do some investigation on the "other regions of the world" and you just might find out that the US is not one of them. You do also realize that call centers employee a large vairiance of ehtinic backgrounds. This whole thing myight be mute if you, any of your family, or the company you work for (have have a fan discount throught) do business trips to areas that are served by the specific carriers.

Still could have been a cold phish call though.

17 of 35 (22,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 7:39:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

This just happened to my family plan.  My dad opened an account with an authorized AT&T dealer(not the official AT&T store). 

That authorized dealer had numerous fruad complaints.  You can read about it here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/cellular-gopher-san-francisco

Not reading this thread, I'm not sure if the AT&T authorized dealer upgraded our plan to all iPhones or someone within AT&T.

This is crazy. 

This just happened to my family plan.  My dad opened an account with an authorized AT&T dealer(not the official AT&T store). 

That authorized dealer had numerous fruad complaints.  You can read about it here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/cellular-gopher-san-francisco

Not reading this thread, I'm not sure if the AT&T authorized dealer upgraded our plan to all iPhones or someone within AT&T.

This is crazy. 

18 of 35 (22,685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 3:33:07 AM
(0)
Expert

aurareturn wrote:

This is crazy. 

so you are pointing out that the 3rd party vendor is the problem in your case, woudl take it up with them

aurareturn wrote:

This is crazy. 

so you are pointing out that the 3rd party vendor is the problem in your case, woudl take it up with them

19 of 35 (22,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 3:04:37 PM
(0)
Contributor
I just received an email from "AT&T" that says that I owe over $900. It was sent to 5 other email addresses. It does not include my name. Should I be concerned?
I just received an email from "AT&T" that says that I owe over $900. It was sent to 5 other email addresses. It does not include my name. Should I be concerned?

20 of 35 (22,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 6:20:24 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

This is a phishing attempt but it does not mean that anyone has your personal information. Many people have reported seeing this spam. I received one yesterday. 

The best thing to do is forward the email to abuse@att.net. 

thanks!!

--------------

This is a phishing attempt but it does not mean that anyone has your personal information. Many people have reported seeing this spam. I received one yesterday. 

The best thing to do is forward the email to abuse@att.net. 

thanks!!

--------------

21 of 35 (22,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2012 6:20:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

How can I contact you offline to resolve a similar problem that I am having trouble resolving over the phone with AT&T regarding some business lines that were fraudulently ordered on our behalf?  Thanks in advance.

How can I contact you offline to resolve a similar problem that I am having trouble resolving over the phone with AT&T regarding some business lines that were fraudulently ordered on our behalf?  Thanks in advance.

22 of 35 (22,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 3:21:01 AM
(0)
Expert

Scrapmari wrote:

Click on her name above the picture, it will open another screen, on the right is th ability to send Jam a private message, you can use that to start the discussion.

Scrapmari wrote:

Click on her name above the picture, it will open another screen, on the right is th ability to send Jam a private message, you can use that to start the discussion.

23 of 35 (22,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 6:50:43 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Thanks WR Smiley Happy

I see your PM scrapmari - I will respond in just a few minutes. Smiley Happy

--------------

Thanks WR Smiley Happy

I see your PM scrapmari - I will respond in just a few minutes. Smiley Happy

--------------

24 of 35 (22,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 9:37:07 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Created new thread
--------------

25 of 35 (22,446 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2012 8:51:01 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Dec 28, 2012 at 10:08:03 PM

I recently received a text messag from ATT asking me to do a survey after I called customer service; I thought it might have been related to my recent purchase of a new iPhone 5 several weeks before. I completed the survey and didn't think more about it. Two days later my dad told me his cell phone on my plan was only allowing emergency calls. I took the phone to an ATT store and asked them to check into it. Apparently someone named Alena added herself as an authorized user on my account and activated a new iPhone on my account, using my dad's cell #. The people at the ATT Core store contacted corporate and determined the person bought the phone at an Apple store and activated it there on my account. The fraud specialist said the person had to have had my last 4 digits of my SS# and my account info! I wonder ho she had all that info.The situation was remedied and my dad's phone reactivated and Alena's phone deactivated. I was told by ATT to create a PIN # to be used for all changes to my accoun,t and they put an alert on my account. I also contacted the three credit bureaus and alerted them about the ID fraud. Please be aware of the goings on of your account; You might not be as lucky as me to have corrected the situation so quickly, and at no cost to me.

[edited for privacy]

I recently received a text messag from ATT asking me to do a survey after I called customer service; I thought it might have been related to my recent purchase of a new iPhone 5 several weeks before. I completed the survey and didn't think more about it. Two days later my dad told me his cell phone on my plan was only allowing emergency calls. I took the phone to an ATT store and asked them to check into it. Apparently someone named Alena added herself as an authorized user on my account and activated a new iPhone on my account, using my dad's cell #. The people at the ATT Core store contacted corporate and determined the person bought the phone at an Apple store and activated it there on my account. The fraud specialist said the person had to have had my last 4 digits of my SS# and my account info! I wonder ho she had all that info.The situation was remedied and my dad's phone reactivated and Alena's phone deactivated. I was told by ATT to create a PIN # to be used for all changes to my accoun,t and they put an alert on my account. I also contacted the three credit bureaus and alerted them about the ID fraud. Please be aware of the goings on of your account; You might not be as lucky as me to have corrected the situation so quickly, and at no cost to me.

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
26 of 35 (20,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2012 6:49:27 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm glad to hear that your situation was resolved quickly and easily. 

--------------

I'm glad to hear that your situation was resolved quickly and easily. 

--------------

27 of 35 (20,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2013 12:36:15 PM
(0)
Voyager
Hi tall blonde guy,

This exact same thing is happening to me now and I am going thru alot of trouble to fix this. Can you give me some advice oh how to rectify the situation? They have been doing their "investigation" for 3 days now and dont have anything and keep telling me that my name and address is under the account. Obviously thats the case in identity fraud. I just want to nipp this in the bud before my credit gets affected in this situation.

Thanks!
Hi tall blonde guy,

This exact same thing is happening to me now and I am going thru alot of trouble to fix this. Can you give me some advice oh how to rectify the situation? They have been doing their "investigation" for 3 days now and dont have anything and keep telling me that my name and address is under the account. Obviously thats the case in identity fraud. I just want to nipp this in the bud before my credit gets affected in this situation.

Thanks!

28 of 35 (16,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2013 3:41:29 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on May 17, 2013 at 5:09:44 AM

I had the same thing happen on 5/15. Account changed to Rafael {edit out personal information} in the Bronx.  Met a guy in the Att store and said the same thing happened to him; same unauthorized user.

Why was this not a red flag? Some guy as the authorized user on 2 accounts on the same day?

Is there a goverment agency that looks into this? 

It does not seem that ATT cares at all that this is going on.

I had the same thing happen on 5/15. Account changed to Rafael {edit out personal information} in the Bronx.  Met a guy in the Att store and said the same thing happened to him; same unauthorized user.

Why was this not a red flag? Some guy as the authorized user on 2 accounts on the same day?

Is there a goverment agency that looks into this? 

It does not seem that ATT cares at all that this is going on.

[ Edited ]
29 of 35 (16,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2013 4:36:23 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Taylarie on Jul 16, 2013 at 6:02:52 AM

Hello,

An at&t sales person at this store location commit fraud to my account. 1776 W Prien Lake Rd Lake Charles,LA 70601. My husband and I live in Allen, Texas for 6 years. June 4th 2013, someone went into an at&t store in Louisiana and ordered 4 phones and added to my account without my authorization and me being present at the store.

My husband found out on 6/30 when he logged into the account to pay the monthly bill, he saw all the charges and reported the issue to at&t. We spent hours and spoke with many different customer services at the fraud department including their supervisors. They were all very unhelpful and accused us of doing that. They referred me to contact the store in Louisiana to get this resolved ourself and report to the police when I would think they should be taking care and protect their customers. Denise (supervisor in fraud department) refuse to provide last name and employee number. Latteria {Personal content removed}(supervisor in fraud department)refuse to provide employee number and also refer me to the store to get my issue resolved with them.

I have explained to many of at&t employees that I live in Texas and NEVER been to their store to order anything. I went to our local at&t store and the store incharge person David {Personal content removed} was nice but was not able to assist. I called and spoke with another person Jennifer {Personal content removed} who claimed to be the store manager in Louisiana where the purchase happened. I explained again that I was not at their store to order anything to my account. She requested me to fax my driver license so she can review on their video. I have not heard anything from them and they have not resolve my issue for 2 weeks.

My account is past due with the amount of $1741 and will be suspended if they don't receive the amount. I can not pay such amount as I never made any out of state purchase at their store. I was at my work on that day the incident happened. I would like to file a fraud directly to the sales person at that store or the store itself as they are protecting their employee committing fraud. 1. Sales person allow unauthorized purchase 2. sales person commit false information to get their sales 3. I was at my work place in Allen, Texas on june 4th 2013 when the purchase in Louisiana happen.

I believe this can not be that difficult for them to view the video and identify me which is not the same person who went to their store.

At this time, all I want is to get all the charges removed from my account and so I can go back to my normal plan for the last 10 years and my bill never went over $200. I have spent over 5 hours over the phone, spoke with at least 8 different persons including the supervisor over the phone and also went to my local at&t store. No one is willing to take ownership and care for my fraud issue.

So i ran out of patient and filed a complaint to FCC and BBB.

http://www.bbb.org/

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

Thank you for viewing and please let me know if there is a better way to get help resolve this issue.

Hello,

An at&t sales person at this store location commit fraud to my account. 1776 W Prien Lake Rd Lake Charles,LA 70601. My husband and I live in Allen, Texas for 6 years. June 4th 2013, someone went into an at&t store in Louisiana and ordered 4 phones and added to my account without my authorization and me being present at the store.

My husband found out on 6/30 when he logged into the account to pay the monthly bill, he saw all the charges and reported the issue to at&t. We spent hours and spoke with many different customer services at the fraud department including their supervisors. They were all very unhelpful and accused us of doing that. They referred me to contact the store in Louisiana to get this resolved ourself and report to the police when I would think they should be taking care and protect their customers. Denise (supervisor in fraud department) refuse to provide last name and employee number. Latteria {Personal content removed}(supervisor in fraud department)refuse to provide employee number and also refer me to the store to get my issue resolved with them.

I have explained to many of at&t employees that I live in Texas and NEVER been to their store to order anything. I went to our local at&t store and the store incharge person David {Personal content removed} was nice but was not able to assist. I called and spoke with another person Jennifer {Personal content removed} who claimed to be the store manager in Louisiana where the purchase happened. I explained again that I was not at their store to order anything to my account. She requested me to fax my driver license so she can review on their video. I have not heard anything from them and they have not resolve my issue for 2 weeks.

My account is past due with the amount of $1741 and will be suspended if they don't receive the amount. I can not pay such amount as I never made any out of state purchase at their store. I was at my work on that day the incident happened. I would like to file a fraud directly to the sales person at that store or the store itself as they are protecting their employee committing fraud. 1. Sales person allow unauthorized purchase 2. sales person commit false information to get their sales 3. I was at my work place in Allen, Texas on june 4th 2013 when the purchase in Louisiana happen.

I believe this can not be that difficult for them to view the video and identify me which is not the same person who went to their store.

At this time, all I want is to get all the charges removed from my account and so I can go back to my normal plan for the last 10 years and my bill never went over $200. I have spent over 5 hours over the phone, spoke with at least 8 different persons including the supervisor over the phone and also went to my local at&t store. No one is willing to take ownership and care for my fraud issue.

So i ran out of patient and filed a complaint to FCC and BBB.

http://www.bbb.org/

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

Thank you for viewing and please let me know if there is a better way to get help resolve this issue.

[ Edited ]
30 of 35 (14,314 Views)