AT+T phone keeps blinking on and off?

AT+T phone keeps blinking on and off?

Hi, when I enter a phone number and click on the green phone icon,  the screen keeps blinking black and then back, and then black and I can't  see the screen long enough to enter number.  Does anyone know if this is normal and if I can turn that function off, so the regular screen stays lit and doesn't go black every other second?  Thank you so much.  I'm new to a smart phone. 

Message 1 of 9 (764 Views)
Master

Re: AT+T phone keeps blinking on and off?

Quick question - which smartphone are you using. Also, are you holding the phone up to your ear and then back down to your face/eyes when the "blinking" occurs? If so, this is completely normal; that is the function of the phone's proximity sensor. It activates itself when you place or receive a phone call. It turns the phone's screen from lit up to black in order to prevent any accidental button presses that may result from your cheek or ear, and it also saves your phone's battery life.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 9 (716 Views)

Hi I have the AT+T z998 android phone.  it's pay as you go.  I just tried it and it went black when holding to ear and then stayed lit when i removed from face, but after few seconds, it started blinking.  I can't see when trying to enter numbers fast, ending call, etc.  I want to find a way for it to stay lit.  And, I must have not ended a call  bec of not getting to the red end button and went from having 85.00 on there for 35.00!!! frustrating.  Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 9 (655 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Since there doesn't seem to be a way to disable the proximity sensor function, the only "fix" I can suggest is to just be careful where you place your fingers when dialing numbers on your screen. Make sure you're not placing your fingers above the screen of your phone when you're entering numbers - specifically, to the left of the speaker. That is where the proximity sensor is located.

Perhaps you could give this a try and see if it solves the sensor issue - or at least limits it from happening. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9 (630 Views)

Thank you.  I will try that.

Message 5 of 9 (627 Views)
Community Manager

Another thing I want to add is that if you're using a protective cover, it might be covering the sensor.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 9 (577 Views)

Thank you.  My phone doesn't have cover.  I'll have to practice what you told me.  I feel dumb that I'm not more litterate with smart phones.  But, at least I can write an email and in a forum, hahahaa.  I'm happy with that, Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9 (562 Views)
Master

Don't be discouraged! There's a learning curve to just about everything - smartphones included. Smiley Happy

Also, you're not using a case on the phone, correct?

Message 8 of 9 (549 Views)

No, I'm not using a phone case.  It slips in a case, but isn't in when I use it.  Thank you again!!!! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9 (543 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.