Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 9, 2014
2:15:19 PM
View profile
ASURION IS A RIP-OFF on APPLE PRODUCTS

don't waste your money insuring you Apple products with Asurion thru ATT.

As soon as you get your Apple device from ATT, go directly to Apple.com and insure it with AppleCare. Much cheaper and a much better plan.

don't waste your money insuring you Apple products with Asurion thru ATT.

As soon as you get your Apple device from ATT, go directly to Apple.com and insure it with AppleCare. Much cheaper and a much better plan.

ASURION IS A RIP-OFF on APPLE PRODUCTS

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 3:09:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Except that AppleCare doesn't cover for lost or stolen that Asurion does. It is a matter of choice. Personally, I haven't purchase insurance for my phones for some time. I protect them with cases so that they are somewhat protected. I did get AppleCare on my iPhone4s but didn't use it for the 2 years that I had it.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Except that AppleCare doesn't cover for lost or stolen that Asurion does. It is a matter of choice. Personally, I haven't purchase insurance for my phones for some time. I protect them with cases so that they are somewhat protected. I did get AppleCare on my iPhone4s but didn't use it for the 2 years that I had it.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ASURION IS A RIP-OFF on APPLE PRODUCTS

2 of 10 (1,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 8:16:56 PM
(0)
Master

I get applecare+ It covers accidental and water damage.  It will also cover issues with the USB cable and headphones.  

I have used it a number of times in the past. 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

I get applecare+ It covers accidental and water damage.  It will also cover issues with the USB cable and headphones.  

I have used it a number of times in the past. 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 10 (1,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 8:58:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

My AppleCare+ came in handy when the battery on my iPhone 5 went bad about 16 months into it's life.  By having the AppleCare+, it took me all of 10 minutes to get my iPhone replaced with no out-of-pocket cost to me even though my iPhone would have been out of warranty without it.

I've purchased AppleCare or AppleCare+ for all of my Apple devices, and I have used it on about 1/3 of them so far (1 of 2 MacBooks Pros, and 2 of 3 iPhones, but 0 of 2 iPod Touches, and 0 of 2 iPads).  The kicker is that just the one MacBook Pro saved me enough to pay for all of the Apple Care warranties I've purchased so far.  The first iPhone netted me a replacement iPhone 3G "ordered" and shipped to me at 4:00pm one day and delivered by 11:00am the next, and that arrived on the iPhone 4 launch day.  The iPhone 5 I walked into my preferred Apple Store and walked out with a replacement 10 minutes later...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

My AppleCare+ came in handy when the battery on my iPhone 5 went bad about 16 months into it's life.  By having the AppleCare+, it took me all of 10 minutes to get my iPhone replaced with no out-of-pocket cost to me even though my iPhone would have been out of warranty without it.

I've purchased AppleCare or AppleCare+ for all of my Apple devices, and I have used it on about 1/3 of them so far (1 of 2 MacBooks Pros, and 2 of 3 iPhones, but 0 of 2 iPod Touches, and 0 of 2 iPads).  The kicker is that just the one MacBook Pro saved me enough to pay for all of the Apple Care warranties I've purchased so far.  The first iPhone netted me a replacement iPhone 3G "ordered" and shipped to me at 4:00pm one day and delivered by 11:00am the next, and that arrived on the iPhone 4 launch day.  The iPhone 5 I walked into my preferred Apple Store and walked out with a replacement 10 minutes later...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (1,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 1:53:49 AM
(0)
Scholar

Asurion is insurance against accidental damage, loss, and theft with a monthly charge and a one-time deductible. Depending on which phone you have, this could save you quite a bit of money should you lose your device. If you stop paying for your monthly payment, then you lose your coverage, you don't get your money back, and you are ineligible for future coverage.

AppleCare+ is an extended warranty that covers your iPhone for a period of two years. It only covers accidental damage (like a cracked screen), not loss or theft. If you require service it would cost you $80 plus tax per incident and you're limited to two incidents. If you lose your device, the replace cost is a lot more than Asurion's since you would either need to sign a contract, use AT&T Next, or pay outright for a new device.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]

Asurion is insurance against accidental damage, loss, and theft with a monthly charge and a one-time deductible. Depending on which phone you have, this could save you quite a bit of money should you lose your device. If you stop paying for your monthly payment, then you lose your coverage, you don't get your money back, and you are ineligible for future coverage.

AppleCare+ is an extended warranty that covers your iPhone for a period of two years. It only covers accidental damage (like a cracked screen), not loss or theft. If you require service it would cost you $80 plus tax per incident and you're limited to two incidents. If you lose your device, the replace cost is a lot more than Asurion's since you would either need to sign a contract, use AT&T Next, or pay outright for a new device.

5 of 10 (1,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2014 10:42:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

I purchase all of my warranties through Square Trade. Covers everything except theft and prices are very reasonable. All of my electronics are warrantied through Square Trade.

I purchase all of my warranties through Square Trade. Covers everything except theft and prices are very reasonable. All of my electronics are warrantied through Square Trade.

6 of 10 (991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2014 1:22:16 PM
(0)
Mentor

What has your claims experience been with Square Trade (ease of filing, speed of payment, any pushback on claims)?

What has your claims experience been with Square Trade (ease of filing, speed of payment, any pushback on claims)?

7 of 10 (983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 10:33:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

When it comes to Apple products the best insurance to get is applecare. With apple care you get: 2 years of coverage, unlimited tech support, file up to 2 claims, and a very low deductible. if you don't get applecare then I would go with an insurance called "esecurital". There's 2 types of esecuritel; basic, and extended warranty. To give you a quick overview: basic covers-lost, stolen, and liquid damage, extended covers-EVERYTHING. Plus the deductibles are very cheap too, you guys should look into it.

When it comes to Apple products the best insurance to get is applecare. With apple care you get: 2 years of coverage, unlimited tech support, file up to 2 claims, and a very low deductible. if you don't get applecare then I would go with an insurance called "esecurital". There's 2 types of esecuritel; basic, and extended warranty. To give you a quick overview: basic covers-lost, stolen, and liquid damage, extended covers-EVERYTHING. Plus the deductibles are very cheap too, you guys should look into it.

8 of 10 (901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 10:55:47 AM
(0)
Expert

G-mobile wrote:

Applecare+ is NOT insurance, it is a extended warrenty. It the phone is lost or stolen it will not replace it. Also you might want to read further on esecurital, it is carrier or dealer oreintatent not over the counter

http://www.esecuritel.com/About-Us

Since 2001, eSecuritel has provided wireless carriers, retailers and dealers with customized cell phone and device insurance programs that boost retailer revenue and enable sales teams to focus on selling, instead of servicing handsets. It became a subsidiary of Brightstar Corp. in April 2011.

G-mobile wrote:

Applecare+ is NOT insurance, it is a extended warrenty. It the phone is lost or stolen it will not replace it. Also you might want to read further on esecurital, it is carrier or dealer oreintatent not over the counter

http://www.esecuritel.com/About-Us

Since 2001, eSecuritel has provided wireless carriers, retailers and dealers with customized cell phone and device insurance programs that boost retailer revenue and enable sales teams to focus on selling, instead of servicing handsets. It became a subsidiary of Brightstar Corp. in April 2011.

9 of 10 (898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 1:12:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yes, it is very difficult for an individual to judge an insurance company, particularly before they've had a claim.  Advertising sounds great, but the proof is in the pudding (to coin a cliche).  Product insurance of any kind (and extended warranties in particular) are only if you can't afford to take a loss.  Most people overestimate the liklihood of claim, which is what keeps insurance companies in business.

Note: Health, liability, and auto insurance are exceptions, since they can result in a catastrophic loss...not so a broken cellphone or television.

Yes, it is very difficult for an individual to judge an insurance company, particularly before they've had a claim.  Advertising sounds great, but the proof is in the pudding (to coin a cliche).  Product insurance of any kind (and extended warranties in particular) are only if you can't afford to take a loss.  Most people overestimate the liklihood of claim, which is what keeps insurance companies in business.

Note: Health, liability, and auto insurance are exceptions, since they can result in a catastrophic loss...not so a broken cellphone or television.

10 of 10 (881 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments