911 Service Fee

Tutor

911 Service Fee

So I figured I'd try the ATT gophone and everything was going great until I get hit with this surprise "911 Service Fee" and then find out it is going to be monthly. That too bad because I thought I had a keeper here. AT&T says "AT&T is required to impose these fees on its customers". What's the deal, AT&T has to charge its customers and Net10 doesn't? Back to Net10 for me, their phones may not be as nice and service not as good but at least they don't blindside me and/or fill me with a line of crap.

Message 1 of 35 (8,583 Views)
Expert

Re: 911 Service Fee

Wild Banchi wrote:
I don't recall paying up to $0.96 extra, but somewhere more near the ten-fifteen cent area. However, when I checked my account balance today, I noticed I only had $3.85 instead of my previous $4.81. I wondered for the longest time where the extra money had gone (I thought AT&T was cheating me somehow). Now, ironically, I note that exactly 96 cents is gone... So I must have been charged for the fee and not even known it at all. This is the first time I have actually seen this happen...

the E911 charges vary by location, as do all the otrher surcharges that are added to both post and pre paid services, for example in New York

http://www.dps.state.ny.us/TelecomTaxesSurcharges.html

If I recall correctly the charges can be a the state AND local levels, found this on the ATT website for gophones

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/gophoneE911.jsp

Message 16 of 35 (8,287 Views)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:
I don't recall paying up to $0.96 extra, but somewhere more near the ten-fifteen cent area. However, when I checked my account balance today, I noticed I only had $3.85 instead of my previous $4.81. I wondered for the longest time where the extra money had gone (I thought AT&T was cheating me somehow). Now, ironically, I note that exactly 96 cents is gone... So I must have been charged for the fee and not even known it at all. This is the first time I have actually seen this happen...

the E911 charges vary by location, as do all the otrher surcharges that are added to both post and pre paid services, for example in New York

If I recall correctly the charges can be a the state AND local levels, found this on the ATT website for gophones

Yep, I used that bottom link earlier to look up the charges for my state, which is $0.96. Although it sort of frustrates me to pay for this "simple" fee, I suppose I don't mind it much... What just surprises me is that I've had my GoPhone service since 12/25/09, which is a little more than a year-and-a-half, and never have I even noticed this fee coming out of my balance like I had noticed it yesterday.

I'm not so frustrated to the point where I plan on "leaving AT&T" like the OP had said. It's just a little inconvenience, that's all. But everyone has to pay taxes, so I can understand.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 17 of 35 (8,281 Views)
Guru

The fee deduction will also show up in your call history. I started keeping a little extra money in my account when I found out I was gonna be charged monthly. Wild Banchi that you know of would you be charged the same tax amount if you refilled from the amount Go Phone offers versus refill cards?

Message 18 of 35 (8,278 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yep, I used that bottom link earlier to look up the charges for my state, which is $0.96. Although it sort of frustrates me to pay for this "simple" fee, I suppose I don't mind it much... What just surprises me is that I've had my GoPhone service since 12/25/09, which is a little more than a year-and-a-half, and never have I even noticed this fee coming out of my balance like I had noticed it yesterday.

I'm not so frustrated to the point where I plan on "leaving AT&T" like the OP had said. It's just a little inconvenience, that's all. But everyone has to pay taxes, so I can understand.

0.96 cents a month is well worth the peace of mind of having a E911 cell call giving the correct location and connection in case of a emergency . Cell service has the same issue that VOIP phones have. Inf the case of  VoIP services route 911 calls through IP networks instead of using the traditional telephone network, VoIP 911 service doesn't work the same way as traditional 911 service. Dispatch centers can't pinpoint the address where a VoIP call originates, as they can with calls from phones using enhanced 911 service; such service is available with most traditional telephone service today.

Believe Vonage had an issue with this that cause a family in Florida to lose their 3 yr old. If happened a while back - like in 2005 in Deltona Fl.

Message 19 of 35 (8,277 Views)
Master

Razr8 wrote:

Wild Banchi that you know of would you be charged the same tax amount if you refilled from the amount Go Phone offers versus refill cards?

A little confused by this - the amount GoPhone offers?

Message 20 of 35 (8,275 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

wingrider01 wrote:
0.96 cents a month is well worth the peace of mind of having a E911 cell call giving the correct location and connection in case of a emergency . Cell service has the same issue that VOIP phones have. Inf the case of  VoIP services route 911 calls through IP networks instead of using the traditional telephone network, VoIP 911 service doesn't work the same way as traditional 911 service. Dispatch centers can't pinpoint the address where a VoIP call originates, as they can with calls from phones using enhanced 911 service; such service is available with most traditional telephone service today.

Believe Vonage had an issue with this that cause a family in Florida to lose their 3 yr old. If happened a while back - like in 2005 in Deltona Fl.

I guess paying the 911 service fee would be a convenience should I ever have an emergency come by and slap me in the face unexpectedly.

Poor family. I'm guessing more than likely they sued Vonage for their mistake/unwillingness to help?

Message 21 of 35 (8,248 Views)
Contributor

This is only 3rd month with my GoPhone and although I love the phone, AT&T has some shady billing practices if you ask me.  My husband and I have the exact same phone and $50 unlimited plan but I have been getting charged and additional $.96 a month for this 911 fee and he has not.  The reason I was told I am being charged the fee and he is not is because I have a positive balance on my phone whereas he does not.  When I got my phone, there was a mistake made by the cashier that sold us our phones and an extra $15 was added to my account balance.  I figured I could just use it for apps or ringtones or whatever but now AT&T has been helping themselves to it at a rate of $.96 a month.  My husband pays his bill the day before it is due every month and because he never has a positive balance, he never has to pay this extra $.96 a month.  It may seem like a petty thing to get upset about but it seems very dishonest on AT&Ts part to just help themselves to money just because it's there.  I signed up the $50 a month plan, and for them to just tack on that extra dollar because I have a positive balance on my account is no different than stealing in my opinion, considering I was not informed of the charge before it was taken, and they wouldn't charge me that extra buck if I didn't have a positive balance.

Message 22 of 35 (8,222 Views)
Expert

trippindazey79 wrote:

This is only 3rd month with my GoPhone and although I love the phone, AT&T has some shady billing practices if you ask me.  My husband and I have the exact same phone and $50 unlimited plan but I have been getting charged and additional $.96 a month for this 911 fee and he has not.  The reason I was told I am being charged the fee and he is not is because I have a positive balance on my phone whereas he does not.  When I got my phone, there was a mistake made by the cashier that sold us our phones and an extra $15 was added to my account balance.  I figured I could just use it for apps or ringtones or whatever but now AT&T has been helping themselves to it at a rate of $.96 a month.  My husband pays his bill the day before it is due every month and because he never has a positive balance, he never has to pay this extra $.96 a month.  It may seem like a petty thing to get upset about but it seems very dishonest on AT&Ts part to just help themselves to money just because it's there.  I signed up the $50 a month plan, and for them to just tack on that extra dollar because I have a positive balance on my account is no different than stealing in my opinion, considering I was not informed of the charge before it was taken, and they wouldn't charge me that extra buck if I didn't have a positive balance.

E911 charges are mandated by federal, state and local goverments, if your husband is not being charged then the problem is on his line not yours

Message 23 of 35 (8,222 Views)
Contributor

liI don't understand why we are being charged for this service. I called AT&T customer service and was told it was a government service fee beyond what is in my plan. However I don't any rollover on my minutes or data plan unused megabytes. Sure, if I exceed my plan's limits, charge me. If not, roll over my minutes and credit my account for my unused data.
Message 24 of 35 (7,768 Views)
ACE - Professor

Are you talking about the 911 fee? It is used to help fund E911 services that you can use at no charge should you have an emergency. It has nothing to do with your usage.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 35 (7,759 Views)
Master

My mom and I both received USSD codes saying that we had been charged $0.96 each for the last transaction. At first, I was wondering what it could have been that caused it. I later realized it was Michigan's E911 service fee. Smiley Indifferent

Message 26 of 35 (7,735 Views)
Voyager

Why would it say "last transaction," when I didn't even do anything? 

Message 27 of 35 (7,141 Views)
Master

Because AT&T has deducted money from your balance, which, in fact, is a transaction because they're withdrawing money.

I was just charged this fee again earlier tonight. :/

Message 28 of 35 (7,115 Views)
Mentor

Only in America do people complain about a charge that is less than $2 and goes to the purpose of having emergency services just in case their needed.

Message 29 of 35 (7,057 Views)
Guru

The 911 fee is one fee I don't mind paying. Even if I never have to use it.
Message 30 of 35 (7,044 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.