911 Service Fee

Tutor

911 Service Fee

So I figured I'd try the ATT gophone and everything was going great until I get hit with this surprise "911 Service Fee" and then find out it is going to be monthly. That too bad because I thought I had a keeper here. AT&T says "AT&T is required to impose these fees on its customers". What's the deal, AT&T has to charge its customers and Net10 doesn't? Back to Net10 for me, their phones may not be as nice and service not as good but at least they don't blindside me and/or fill me with a line of crap.

Message 1 of 35 (8,584 Views)
Scholar

Re: 911 Service Fee

I've got verizon and they charge a 911 service fee. im pretty sure Net10 is charging them too. It's like a $1.

Message 2 of 35 (8,486 Views)
Former Employee

Are you sure about that? In fact your state is charging this fee, all carriers have it, some hide it, or as you call it "they don't blindside me and/or fill me with a line of crap", some don't. AT&T has huge advantages over Net10, you get what you pay for.

Message 3 of 35 (8,485 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

[ Edited ]

mikislate wrote:

So I figured I'd try the ATT gophone and everything was going great until I get hit with this surprise "911 Service Fee" and then find out it is going to be monthly. That too bad because I thought I had a keeper here. AT&T says "AT&T is required to impose these fees on its customers". What's the deal, AT&T has to charge its customers and Net10 doesn't? Back to Net10 for me, their phones may not be as nice and service not as good but at least they don't blindside me and/or fill me with a line of crap.

911 service fee is a STATE madated fee to pay for the 911 system and wireles telecommunication. This charge is state mandated, some wireless carriers do a seperate line item for the fee, others will roll them up to a misc charge, no matter what all wireless telecommuncations carriers for phone and connection type

This fee is imposed per month for each wireless telecommunications connection. A wireless telecommunications connection is any wireless communication mobile station that connects a wireless service provider to the local exchange service provider

A quick look at Net10's terms of service show that they are indeed charging 911 fee's

. You will be charged the NET10 Unlimited Plan monthly fee plus applicable sales tax and other fees such as E911 charges and other federal, state and local government charges. You understand and agree that NET10 will continue to post charges to your credit or debit card until you cancel your NET10 Unlimited Plan account. NET10 will notify you via e-mail to the e-mail address listed on your account each time a charge is posted. You may review your payment history for the previous six (6) months at any time by accessing your account on the "My Account" page on the NET10 website.

Message 4 of 35 (8,479 Views)
Guru

I don't remember seeing the fee in AT&T's prepaid terms of service either so when I was first charged I called customer service who explained what the charge was. I suppose they could have been more upfront about it but it's only 75 cents so it's no big deal to me. Don't let that small fee ruin your AT&T experience.

Message 5 of 35 (8,470 Views)
Master

There's no monthly tax/service fee for me... Never paid one on my GoPhone plan for a year-and-a-half, now. I thought that was an advantage over postpaid service. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 6 of 35 (8,436 Views)
Guru

Wild Banchi wrote:
There's no monthly tax/service fee for me... Never paid one on my GoPhone plan for a year-and-a-half, now. I thought that was an advantage over postpaid service. Smiley Happy

Why do you suppose that is? Is it because of your chosen plan or because of the state you live in? I was always kinda curious if other prepaid customers were charged the 911 fee.

Message 7 of 35 (8,433 Views)
Master

I don't know why I'm an exception to monthly the fee. Perhaps it is the rate plan I'm on, or maybe even the state - I don't know. All I know is that I've never had to pay for it once, which is something that I like about GoPhone service. My old Verizon prepaid phone and postpaid phone both had monthly fees like this that I hated paying for.

I'm wondering if this fee applies for newer GoPhone customers. I've had my service since 12/25/09 and maybe I just made it before 2010 so I didn't have to pay the fee? I honestly do not know. I'll have to do some research.

Message 8 of 35 (8,429 Views)
Guru

Wild Banchi check this link out http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/gophoneE911.jsp. Although it still doesn't really explain why you are not charged. Be thankful you don't live in Chicago Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 35 (8,420 Views)
Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:
I don't know why I'm an exception to monthly the fee. Perhaps it is the rate plan I'm on, or maybe even the state - I don't know. All I know is that I've never had to pay for it once, which is something that I like about GoPhone service. My old Verizon prepaid phone and postpaid phone both had monthly fees like this that I hated paying for.

I'm wondering if this fee applies for newer GoPhone customers. I've had my service since 12/25/09 and maybe I just made it before 2010 so I didn't have to pay the fee? I honestly do not know. I'll have to do some research.

the most simple explination is the fee is blended into the card cost and is handled when you purchase the airtime

Message 10 of 35 (8,415 Views)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

the most simple explination is the fee is blended into the card cost and is handled when you purchase the airtime

You know what...that would make sense now that I think about it. When I purchase refill cards, there always seems to be some sort of "extra charge" I've peen paying for besides the 6% sales tax. I always wondered why I was paying a bit more than I should have.

And I thought Walmart was overcharging me... Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 35 (8,317 Views)
Guru

Hey Wild Banchi, I guess you found out something else about your phoneSmiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 35 (8,302 Views)
Master

Razr8 wrote:

Hey Wild Banchi, I guess you found out something else about your phoneSmiley Very Happy

I guess so! More like something new about my service. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 35 (8,301 Views)
Guru

Wild Banchi wrote:

Razr8 wrote:

I guess so! More like something new about my service. Smiley Wink

Is that E911 fee listing correct for your state? I myself would have liked to known beforehand, but what I get charged is not much snd I'm glad that I don't get charged what poor Chicagoans get charged.

Message 14 of 35 (8,300 Views)
Master

I don't recall paying up to $0.96 extra, but somewhere more near the ten-fifteen cent area. However, when I checked my account balance today, I noticed I only had $3.85 instead of my previous $4.81. I wondered for the longest time where the extra money had gone (I thought AT&T was cheating me somehow). Now, ironically, I note that exactly 96 cents is gone... So I must have been charged for the fee and not even known it at all. This is the first time I have actually seen this happen...

Message 15 of 35 (8,297 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.